Bryn Mawr 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I think decisions are communicated via phone.
Has anyone thought about cars and parking? Is there available parking on-campus during the day and night?
 
Yes, I think decisions are communicated via phone.
Has anyone thought about cars and parking? Is there available parking on-campus during the day and night?

Everyone I know here got a call from Jodi when they got in (unless they were international/without phone access).

There's plenty of commuter parking on campus right by the science building (a commuter parking sticker costs something like $50/semester) available at all times. I don't have a sticker, but I've utilized the "guest" parking. Don't tell anyone. Most people live about 10 minutes from campus (as I do), so many don't bother with a parking sticker.
 
If you buy anything (textbooks/MCAT study materials/furniture) from current postbacs, ask them to throw in their old parking sticker, that is if they have a car and they're not hanging around to take any of the summer courses. The parking stickers from this academic year are the same ones the parking office sells for the summer sessions (different ones are issued in the fall). 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you buy anything (textbooks/MCAT study materials/furniture) from current postbacs, ask them to throw in their old parking sticker, that is if they have a car and they're not hanging around to take any of the summer courses. The parking stickers from this academic year are the same ones the parking office sells for the summer sessions (different ones are issued in the fall). 🙂

Awesome tip, thanks!
 
Over in the Goucher thread, one of their current post baccs just posted some great reflections of the linkage process and financial aid that I think are very applicable to Bryn Mawr as well. I'm going to quote them and then add some comments of my own down below.

Linkers don't get scholarship money, that's just a given. Medical school scholarships are recruiting incentives, and there's no incentive to woo someone who's already committed. I never had any pretenses about this, but right now is also scholarship season for last year's class, and it certainly brings a tinge of dread to know that I will have to bear the financial burden of medical school myself. A good friend of mine from last year's class received a full scholarship to my linkage school. He's going to graduate med school debt-free, and I'll have triple the average. Our stats and life stories are similar enough that I have to ask myself, "what if"? What if I'd taken a glide year?

I'm going to reveal a bit more about myself than usual because I think a lot of you readers are in roughly the same boat as me, and I hope this will help you with your linkage and general med school decisions. Like many of you, I've got the kind of GPA (3.65) that's good, but not good enough - especially for scholarships. To compound that, I've got the kind of life story that I've found hard to sell.

And because I'm the kind of person who doesn't get scholarships, I had to pay for most of undergrad (some grants) and all of my postgrad through loans. This left me with a six-figure student debt before Goucher, let alone med school. By the time I graduate med school, I'll probably have half a million dollars in debt. And of course some of that will be the result of judgment: that postgrad degree turned out to be useless in the long run, and I'm sure I could have saved at least thirty grand if I'd lived in a shed and eaten baked beans. Yep, I'm one of those fools who are pushing the boundaries of educational loans and common sense. Again, I'm sure many of you fear being put in a similar situation, and some will ignore the benefits of linking because of the financial burden.

So, why would someone like me - or you - link under those financial constraints?

Well, it's a matter of probabilities. Goucher, BM and Hopkins grads get over five million dollars in scholarship offers every year, but I'm going to hazard a guess that much of that money is clustered among some of the class who receive multiple offers. Others get in like the vast majority of regular med students: on their own dime.

As I mentioned, I'm just not someone who gets scholarships. Whether it's the Truman, Jack Kent Cooke (RIP, best scholarship ever) or Soros Fellowship, I'm the classic case of someone who applies to all and doesn't even get to the interview round with one. As of this year, my chances for a big external scholarship are essentially zero, because I've aged out of every one of them (can you believe the age limits on these things?). Again, I think many of you are in the same boat - good, but just not good enough. So, what do people like us do, when in the eyes of academia we are good but not great, interesting applicants but not at the top?

My answer is simple: you plough through. You make it post-residency as fast as possible, because you're never going to earn as much money towards student loan repayments as when you're a fully qualified doctor.

So, for those of you with twenty thousand dollars of loans, or a hundred thousand, or just a general fear of debt, make a calculated decision about your odds of getting a large scholarship to a med school you're willing to attend. A gut check should suffice, but if you're wiling to make things really complicated:
1. Make a spreadsheet and figure out how much you could earn during your glide year and your realistic loans or savings that year.
2. Then try to come up with the odds of getting a scholarship from "safety" schools you intend to apply to. Most of those schools offer a smaller number of scholarships that should be relatively easy to find. Then figure out your odds for a specific amount that's, say, 50% likely: ten grand? Twenty? A half scholarship? Full?
3.Add up the glide year loan repayment/savings to the probable scholarship and compare the result to a year's salary as a physician (if in doubt, default to a primary care salary) minus extra interest payments you'd incur.
4. Unless the amount and probability of the glide-year-plus-scholarship option significantly exceeds roughly 50%* of the certain physician salary you'd be earning a year earlier thanks to linking, you should strongly consider a linkage.

*pretty much the max you could put towards repayments


Going back to me comparing myself with my friend (and hopefully future classmate), yes, of course I'll sometimes wonder "what if", but I made a conscious decision to believe that I'm not going to start receiving scholarships anytime soon and I'd rather one of us be in a good financial position than neither of us. People who live life without regrets aren't making any tough decisions, and choosing whether to link is just one of many. If you do your homework, if you act rationally rather than out of simple fear of debt, then you can make the best decision about the financial implications of linking.

First off, I'm not linking, but have several friends that are. Goucher2013 gets a lot of the calculus of linking spot on. Like anything else, it's a big cost/benefit analysis. The linkage process is amazing if you find the right school for you, and want to skip the glide year. In a certain way, it has a lot in common with say getting a military scholarship (full ride to med school), doing National Health Service Corps (full ride), or MD/PhD (yes, full ride). All of these things sound awesome. Going to med school a year early and skipping a glide year? Awesome! Full ride to med school?! Who doesn't want that. One thing that's become clear to me, however, that these things are really only beneficial if you'd want to do it without the inducement. Love one of your linkage schools, and would probably choose it over anywhere else? Linkage is awesome. You wanted to serve your country and join the military anyways? Then a military scholarship is an awesome deal. Same thing with doing research, primary care in an underserved area, etc. These things are all amazing if that's what you wanted to do. But there are costs to all of them. For linkage, it's foreclosing on a substantial number of financial aid opportunities. For many other things, it's prolonged schooling (MD/PhD) or substantial service requirements (military, NHSC).

As Goucher 2013 put it, in the end it's all a risk/benefit calculation. There's a lot to think about with all of this, and I think linkage is one of the things that really draws people to these structured programs. At the end of the day though, it's not for everyone. For linkage (or for any of these opportunities), think about whether you would do it regardless of the incentives (money, time saved, whatever). If you would still do it without the incentive, then go for it. If not, you might want to give it some more thought. There are tons of people who came in hear thinking they would link, and have now decided that it wasn't the right decision for them. That's definitely a good thing to realize BEFORE you go through the linkage process, as I think the inducement of saving a year can sometimes blind people into making a decision that might not be best for them.

One of the awesome things about Bryn Mawr is that they really guide you so well through this process. Everyone knows their stuff, and can really help you figure out what the right decision is for you. Because in the end, it's all about fit, and you want to make sure you have the best possible fit between you and the institution you're spending the next 4 years (and a few hundred grand) on.

-EB
 
I will also share my own personal experience with the linkage process. Goucher2013 talks a lot about the financial considerations of linking, but there are also personal considerations to take as well.

I, like I'm sure like many of you, felt that I had to plow through post-bac and medical school to graduate at a reasonable age. Taking a gap year felt incredibly scary, as I would have no idea what I would be doing as I had quit my old career in order to pursue medicine. There was a lot of uncertainty about where I would be during gap year, and also where for medical school. When the linkage application deadline came up, I started to freak out about my future and decided that I wanted some stability and perhaps hastily chose to link. The school I had chosen I was only moderately enthused about as the school I had really wanted to link had a GPA cutoff that I did not meet at the time. Now halfway through the linkage application process, I continued to freak out, but now about whether or not I had jumped into my linkage decision too impulsively. In the end, I was actually declined an interview at the school I tried to link to, but it gave me an enormous sense of relief, apparently something not uncommon to linkers according to Jodi.

So instead of jumping straight to medical school after my postbac, I applied for my gap year job and submitted my application for the general cycle. I wound up getting a sweet gig and also decided to live with some of my closest friends that I had made during postbac who were all in the same boat as me. It would up being an extremely amazing year as far stepping back from academics and just enjoying the time to ourselves. Thanks to the free time I had during this year, I wound up having a lot of fun and even fit in a bike trip across California over a month. The application cycle was undeniably stressful, but despite some bumps, I eventually wound up at a better institution for me than the school I had originally wanted to link to.

I guess the moral of the story is to just realize that a gap year is not this scary black hole of unknown. Most of my friends at Bryn Mawr who had also taken gap years wound up having amazing experiences as well. Do not feel like you are compelled to have to link, even if the school is a perfect fit for you.
 
I was wait-listed too - haven't heard anything at all since late March. It's getting too late at this point, so I decided that I'm going to Hopkins. Even though Bryn Mawr's been around the longest, Hopkins makes their medical faculty available to post-bacs, which I'm reallly excited about - and of course the academic reputation is great as well.
 
I can't believe they just flat-out didn't say anything to those of us still on the wait list. You would think they'd at least send rejection emails.