Bryn Mawr 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, SS. I guess I'll figure out my shoes closer to the actual interview, lol.


Bakagal

When did you hear from them that you're invited for the interview?

I haven't heard anything from them and now I'm going crazy, guess we all are

Thanks


I heard from them early this week regarding the interview. Did you already get the email that your application is complete?


I might be overeager too haha but submitted early last week and should have everything except my third rec letter in. I was expecting something in the mail about setting up my online account - how long does that take? And think I'll hear anything before the new year on interviewing?

Thanks!

It took about 2 weeks to get the thing in the mail to set up the online account. Their office is closed after tomorrow for winter break, so if you haven't heard anything yet, you won't hear till after the new year starts. And if you think you're overeager, you should see me 🙂
 
I heard from them early this week regarding the interview. Did you already get the email that your application is complete?

Yes, I received the confirmation last week. I guess I will have to wait after the holidays.

Good luck for your interview 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do most people apply with 3 letters of rec? I only sent in the required two :/

I applied with the recommended two letters and didn't think twice about it. Doesn't really help you figure out what "most" people do but at least increases your sample size to 2. Honestly I wouldn't fret over only submitting two.
 
I applied with the recommended two letters and didn't think twice about it. Doesn't really help you figure out what "most" people do but at least increases your sample size to 2. Honestly I wouldn't fret over only submitting two.


Thanks! Not fretting - already sent them in so it's too late for that now 🙂
 
In brief, the program is fantastic. The support you get from the staff (Jodi, Mary Beth, Diane, Leslie, and Marian) is just phenomenal, and it really sets you to succeed in an amazing way. It's going to be a lot of work no matter where you go, but they really do their best to walk you through the process as much as they can. The professors do a really good job, the people are great, etc.

I got into both BM and Goucher last year, and they're both awesome programs. You really can't go wrong, so congrats on having a great choice to make! I chose Bryn Mawr because I liked the larger class size, which afforded a larger variety of perspectives and opportunities among the class. Goucher is much smaller (in the low thirties), and I think the Goucher kids love that. I'm sure I would have been comfortable there, but I'm happy with the choice to go with a larger program. I also had some friends and family in the Philly area, so for me Bryn Mawr felt a little closer to home than Goucher did.

If you have any more questions totally feel free to post them here or drop me a line via private message!


This was all really great, helpful advice as I prepare for my application at the end of this year. Thank you.
 
For any girls who interviewed or will be interviewing in the winter months - what is the appropriate attire during the winter? I'm interviewing soon and I'm a bit lost. I was thinking dress pants, button down, and a cardigan. Is that too informal?

Also, it seems from what people have said that there is quite a bit of walking around, which is why I was considering flats over heels. But PA tends to get pretty chilly this time of years and I'm scared flats might also be painful in the cold.

Thoughts?
 
I got accepted! I still have to hear back from several other programs that I applied to, no idea what I'll do if I get another acceptance 🙂

How long ago did you interview? Did you feel like the interview went well? I just interviewed and felt that it went pretty terribly, but it'll be a while before I hear back.

One of the post bacs (and a few people on this thread) said not to worry and that most people think that their interview did not go well, so I just wanted to gauge how others felt about their interview day.
 
I got accepted! I still have to hear back from several other programs that I applied to, no idea what I'll do if I get another acceptance 🙂

Yay congrats! Did you send in the deposit yet, or kind of just waiting to see how things pan out? Before I sent mine in they had asked that I get back to them within 2 weeks, though I knew it was my first choice so I had no real decision to make.

How long ago did you interview? Did you feel like the interview went well? I just interviewed and felt that it went pretty terribly, but it'll be a while before I hear back.

One of the post bacs (and a few people on this thread) said not to worry and that most people think that their interview did not go well, so I just wanted to gauge how others felt about their interview day.

At the time, I felt my interview was not great; looking back on it now, I still feel the interview was just MEH. The interviewer I had was very hard to read and I could get nothing (in terms of social feedback) from their responses or body language. Afterwards I was mentally exhausted from blabbering for 45 minutes. You can PM me if you want to know who it was that I interviewed with. I had been warned by a previous postbac beforehand though that a specific interviewer would be hard to read, I just didn't know I would end up with them.

Try not to worry about your interview too much, we are our own worst critics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long ago did you interview? Did you feel like the interview went well? I just interviewed and felt that it went pretty terribly, but it'll be a while before I hear back.

One of the post bacs (and a few people on this thread) said not to worry and that most people think that their interview did not go well, so I just wanted to gauge how others felt about their interview day.

I interviewed this month. I actually didn't think the interview went well - it wasn't terrible but I totally did not think I'd get in. So don't worry!
 
Yay congrats! Did you send in the deposit yet, or kind of just waiting to see how things pan out? Before I sent mine in they had asked that I get back to them within 2 weeks, though I knew it was my first choice so I had no real decision to make.

Nope, haven't sent anything in yet. It was originally my first choice but there are some other really great programs out there, so I figured I'll wait a little to hear if I get accepted anyplace else so that I can make a truly informed decision. I'm kind of hoping I don't get in anywhere else, lol, so that the decision is made for me!

At the time, I felt my interview was not great; looking back on it now, I still feel the interview was just MEH. The interviewer I had was very hard to read and I could get nothing (in terms of social feedback) from their responses or body language. Afterwards I was mentally exhausted from blabbering for 45 minutes. You can PM me if you want to know who it was that I interviewed with. I had been warned by a previous postbac beforehand though that a specific interviewer would be hard to read, I just didn't know I would end up with them.

Try not to worry about your interview too much, we are our own worst critics.

Hmm, I have a feeling I had the same interviewer as you. And the funny thing is, I was also completely exhausted at the end! At least you kind of knew beforehand, I had no idea so I thought I just wasn't a good candidate after all.
 
Hi everyone, hours before the deadline I submitted my application! Feels good to have it out of my hands- but now worried about how getting in on the game so late will affect my chances. Also any other parents out there who applied or are thinking about starting a postbac premed program?
 
Nope, haven't sent anything in yet. It was originally my first choice but there are some other really great programs out there..


They can be super selective--b/c, well, they CAN be.
You better believe there are other good programs out there that will help you to get where you want to go. From the feedback I've been given on BM, I'm not sure I'd apply there. They generally want like ultra super stars that help their image and PR. Of course that will be based on enrollment, but they usually don't have a problem with that. BM takes the attitude that they are like Swarthmore, Haverford, and Sarah Lawrence. Not saying it's not a great school or or their PBPM is not a great program. Not saying that at all. It's just that they can be ultra exclusive, and that's just the way it goes for them. I'm sure there are a few exceptions here or there, but in general, it's how they roll. I also think, if for some reason you are little too non-trad for them, (that is, unless you have been a part of something earth changing), the pass up for them is just too easy. Not sure how many non-trads there are much over age of 30; but the bulk of them seem 20's mid to young 30's. They are generally looking for superstars in that age range.
 
They can be super selective--b/c, well, they CAN be.
You better believe there are other good programs out there that will help you to get where you want to go. From the feedback I've been given on BM, I'm not sure I'd apply there. They generally want like ultra super stars that help their image and PR. Of course that will be based on enrollment, but they usually don't have a problem with that. BM takes the attitude that they are like Swarthmore, Haverford, and Sarah Lawrence. Not saying it's not a great school or or their PBPM is not a great program. Not saying that at all. It's just that they can be ultra exclusive, and that's just the way it goes for them. I'm sure there are a few exceptions here or there, but in general, it's how they roll. I also think, if for some reason you are little too non-trad for them, (that is, unless you have been a part of something earth changing), the pass up for them is just too easy. Not sure how many non-trads there are much over age of 30; but the bulk of them seem 20's mid to young 30's. They are generally looking for superstars in that age range.

That was the preconception I had about Goucher until I started here. Yes, you almost certainly have to have stellar scores if you want to attend straight out of undergrad, but otherwise the field is far more open than I'd expected (and I'm very happy with that). We have people here with a 3.0 GPA, a degree from a not-well-known school and all sorts of other pedigrees that don't exactly scream Marshall scholar. I think the emphasis on stats in this forum allows people to oversimplify things in order to make the process seem less opaque. If anything, it seems even more subjective to me now. I think that subjectivity is a good thing, lest we end up with a bunch of high-GPA study robots.

Since BM and Goucher attract similar people and have similar reputations, I doubt that BM's selectivity is that much more stat-based. I can say from my linkage visit encounters that, yes, BM students appeared a little less "quirky", but that's probably just perception bias. We also encountered quite a number of older BM grads at those schools, including a guy in his 40s. And the one time I encountered a blond guy who looked like a Brooks Brothers catalog model and thought, "he must be a Bryn Mawr guy"...yep...Goucher.
 
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could post the stats of the program. The average GPA and MCAT of those accepted. Also how many students end up matriculating to medical school.

Thanks!
 
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could post the stats of the program. The average GPA and MCAT of those accepted. Also how many students end up matriculating to medical school.

Thanks!

These stats are notoriously difficult to come by. I can tell you that most people here have above a 3.6, but that's mostly here say. No idea about average MCAT score, since people don't take the test until they've completed the program (unless they're linking). Basically everyone matriculates to med school though. The only people I've heard of in the last few years are one or two people who haven't completed the program for personal reasons. The official posted rate is somewhere around 98-99%, which I think is accurate.
 
They can be super selective--b/c, well, they CAN be.
You better believe there are other good programs out there that will help you to get where you want to go. From the feedback I've been given on BM, I'm not sure I'd apply there. They generally want like ultra super stars that help their image and PR. Of course that will be based on enrollment, but they usually don't have a problem with that. BM takes the attitude that they are like Swarthmore, Haverford, and Sarah Lawrence. Not saying it's not a great school or or their PBPM is not a great program. Not saying that at all. It's just that they can be ultra exclusive, and that's just the way it goes for them. I'm sure there are a few exceptions here or there, but in general, it's how they roll. I also think, if for some reason you are little too non-trad for them, (that is, unless you have been a part of something earth changing), the pass up for them is just too easy. Not sure how many non-trads there are much over age of 30; but the bulk of them seem 20's mid to young 30's. They are generally looking for superstars in that age range.

As a current student in the program, there's a lot of this that doesn't ring true to me. Most people here are not "ultra super stars" (whatever that means?), and just seem like normal people to me. Is there a certain amount of baseline academic prowess you have to have to get into the program? Yes definitely. They're not going to accept someone who has a sub-3.0 GPA, because that person has little chance of getting into med school regardless of how they perform in post bacc. To let them into the program would be a disservice to them in terms of time and money spent.

I'm not also sure what "too non-trad" means. We have people here from all over the place, from 22 year olds just out of college to mid 30-somethings who are married and have advanced degrees in other areas, or who have just been working other jobs for 5 or 10 years. I would definitely say that most people are between 0-5 years out of school (as I'd imagine that the number of people wanting to completely change careers and upend their lives decreases as people get older). I think the program would never reject you because you were non-trad. If anything, that's a huge asset in your candidacy. So I would agree with you that they're aren't a ton of students over the age of 31 or 32, but that because most applicants to our program are under that age. Someone with more life experience, if anything, will have an advantage coming in. Jodi (and everyone in the program) loves the experience older post-baccs bring to the process.

I've explained earlier why I think BM is an awesome program, and I'm happy to do so again. If anyone has any questions (including you j lin), I'd be happy to answer them.

Goucher2013 said:
That was the preconception I had about Goucher until I started here. Yes, you almost certainly have to have stellar scores if you want to attend straight out of undergrad, but otherwise the field is far more open than I'd expected (and I'm very happy with that). We have people here with a 3.0 GPA, a degree from a not-well-known school and all sorts of other pedigrees that don't exactly scream Marshall scholar. I think the emphasis on stats in this forum allows people to oversimplify things in order to make the process seem less opaque. If anything, it seems even more subjective to me now. I think that subjectivity is a good thing, lest we end up with a bunch of high-GPA study robots.

Since BM and Goucher attract similar people and have similar reputations, I doubt that BM's selectivity is that much more stat-based. I can say from my linkage visit encounters that, yes, BM students appeared a little less "quirky", but that's probably just perception bias. We also encountered quite a number of older BM grads at those schools, including a guy in his 40s. And the one time I encountered a blond guy who looked like a Brooks Brothers catalog model and thought, "he must be a Bryn Mawr guy"...yep...Goucher.

Word to this. There's plenty of both Brooks Brothers and quirkiness in both of our programs. Also agree with the subjectivity of admissions. Stats are a part of it, but probably an over-exaggerated part. BM (and Goucher presumably) are looking for people who they can help succeed in getting into med school. That encompasses grades, but almost more important are personality, drive, and passion for medicine. This is harder to measure, but is a huge part in the selection process at BM. They want people with a genuine passion for the career they're pursuing. They don't want a bunch of pre-med robots here. And if you think this process is a little bit subjective, just wait until you get to med school admissions, where basically nothing makes any sense!

Thanks for the kind words Goucher2013. Postbaccs looking out for postbaccs.
 
As a current student in the program, there's a lot of this that doesn't ring true to me. Most people here are not "ultra super stars" (whatever that means?), and just seem like normal people to me. Is there a certain amount of baseline academic prowess you have to have to get into the program? Yes definitely. They're not going to accept someone who has a sub-3.0 GPA, because that person has little chance of getting into med school regardless of how they perform in post bacc. To let them into the program would be a disservice to them in terms of time and money spent.

I'm not also sure what "too non-trad" means. We have people here from all over the place, from 22 year olds just out of college to mid 30-somethings who are married and have advanced degrees in other areas, or who have just been working other jobs for 5 or 10 years. I would definitely say that most people are between 0-5 years out of school (as I'd imagine that the number of people wanting to completely change careers and upend their lives decreases as people get older). I think the program would never reject you because you were non-trad. If anything, that's a huge asset in your candidacy. So I would agree with you that they're aren't a ton of students over the age of 31 or 32, but that because most applicants to our program are under that age. Someone with more life experience, if anything, will have an advantage coming in. Jodi (and everyone in the program) loves the experience older post-baccs bring to the process.

I've explained earlier why I think BM is an awesome program, and I'm happy to do so again. If anyone has any questions (including you j lin), I'd be happy to answer them.



Word to this. There's plenty of both Brooks Brothers and quirkiness in both of our programs. Also agree with the subjectivity of admissions. Stats are a part of it, but probably an over-exaggerated part. BM (and Goucher presumably) are looking for people who they can help succeed in getting into med school. That encompasses grades, but almost more important are personality, drive, and passion for medicine. This is harder to measure, but is a huge part in the selection process at BM. They want people with a genuine passion for the career they're pursuing. They don't want a bunch of pre-med robots here. And if you think this process is a little bit subjective, just wait until you get to med school admissions, where basically nothing makes any sense!

Thanks for the kind words Goucher2013. Postbaccs looking out for postbaccs.



I would never try to contradict your first-hand experience. If you look on the pages about students that completed their PBPM, a lot of them have stuff that's more on the superstar side of things. It's an expensive program with a great reputation, but I know a number of great candidates that didn't get accepted. That's of course purely anecdotal.

People have to be careful with their money, especially nowadays. Even application fees add up. I, for one, would not be a low gpa applicant. I am, however, wondering how many nurses were accepted into their program. I'm talking about those with the desireable GPAs, etc. I'm talking about those with very strong clinical experience as well?

At any rate, as indicated earlier, it's an excellent program. Seems that most that go through it are more than pleased.

The truth, however, is that if a program can be more exclusive, it may well be exclusive, adding of course a certain percentage of UR for "good measure." People that are "very" non-traditional, that means over 40 or the like, don't care about all the fuss. They just want to get into medical school; but many of the same don't want to waste much more money than they have to in the process. So, if you have a good GPA and scores, but you haven't started a clinic in India after getting a MBA plus a Phd in whatever else, and if you haven't written a best seller or great American novel or composed a neoclassical piece and performed at the Met, you just might choose to put the application money elsewhere.

Many non-trads are/were busy in all their commitments in life, which tend to have accomulated over time. They could include being a person that is working hard and functioning well as one of the sandwhich generation--this is quite a struggle. The number of days in life are limited, and responsibilities very easily begin to grow into this snowball, that continues to grow by way of many of lifes unexpected complications and developments. Many "very" non-trads have this change of direction on their career path of life, but they have all the demands of a non-trad that many that aren't just don't. Helping close loved ones through endless months of cancer that keeps the person constantly bouncing in and out of the hospital, while helping another with major surgery and rehab for many months, while raising children and doing the plethora of other things that you just can't abandon. You can't abandom these things b/c you are an ethical and dedicated person. So these demands might get in the way of starting or helping develop that clnic in India, or getting on Jeopardy, or writing that amazing book, or involvement in peer-reviewed and systematically reviewed literature. As John Lennon said, ""Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. "

For those people, the application money may be better spend on programs that understand the sacrifices and commitments in the lives of the those that are perhaps more than a tad, nontraditional. These folks don't have time to be superstars, b/c they are using all their time, energy, and money on being superstars in their own lives with those around them. What is that important saying? Charity begins at home. Yet, this is not something one can easily measure as compared to those that receive a lot of fanfare and press or accolades for the great accomplishments for which they were free to pursue.

And really, why should anyone necessarily have to be a superstar to be a physician? Please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT against anyone who is! That's truly great, and the best to them! Sincerely. But it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being an excellent physician that has yet many years to offer in service.
 
Last edited:
These stats are notoriously difficult to come by. I can tell you that most people here have above a 3.6, but that's mostly here say. No idea about average MCAT score, since people don't take the test until they've completed the program (unless they're linking). Basically everyone matriculates to med school though. The only people I've heard of in the last few years are one or two people who haven't completed the program for personal reasons. The official posted rate is somewhere around 98-99%, which I think is accurate.
Thank for your help, from the website information it seems like the deadline has passed 🙁
 
I would never try to contradict your first-hand experience. If you look on the pages about students that completed their PBPM, a lot of them have stuff that's more on the superstar side of things. It's an expensive program with a great reputation, but I know a number of great candidates that didn't get accepted. That's of course purely anecdotal.

People have to be careful with their money, especially nowadays. Even application fees add up. I, for one, would not be a low gpa applicant. I am, however, wondering how many nurses were accepted into their program. I'm talking about those with the desireable GPAs, etc. I'm talking about those with very strong clinical experience as well?

At any rate, as indicated earlier, it's an excellent program. Seems that most that go through it are more than pleased.

The truth, however, is that if a program can be more exclusive, it may well be exclusive, adding of course a certain percentage of UR for "good measure." People that are "very" non-traditional, that means over 40 or the like, don't care about all the fuss. They just want to get into medical school; but many of the same don't want to waste much more money than they have to in the process. So, if you have a good GPA and scores, but you haven't started a clinic in India after getting a MBA plus a Phd in whatever else, and if you haven't written a best seller or great American novel or composed a neoclassical piece and performed at the Met, you just might choose to put the application money elsewhere.

Many non-trads are/were busy in all their commitments in life, which tend to have accomulated over time. They could include being a person that is working hard and functioning well as one of the sandwhich generation--this is quite a struggle. The number of days in life are limited, and responsibilities very easily begin to grow into this snowball, that continues to grow by way of many of lifes unexpected complications and developments. Many "very" non-trads have this change of direction on their career path of life, but they have all the demands of a non-trad that many that aren't just don't. Helping close loved ones through endless months of cancer that keeps the person constantly bouncing in and out of the hospital, while helping another with major surgery and rehab for many months, while raising children and doing the plethora of other things that you just can't abandon. You can't abandom these things b/c you are an ethical and dedicated person. So these demands might get in the way of starting or helping develop that clnic in India, or getting on Jeopardy, or writing that amazing book, or involvement in peer-reviewed and systematically reviewed literature. As John Lennon said, ""Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. "

For those people, the application money may be better spend on programs that understand the sacrifices and commitments in the lives of the those that are perhaps more than a tad, nontraditional. These folks don't have time to be superstars, b/c they are using all their time, energy, and money on being superstars in their own lives with those around them. What is that important saying? Charity begins at home. Yet, this is not something one can easily measure as compared to those that receive a lot of fanfare and press or accolades for the great accomplishments for which they were free to pursue.

And really, why should anyone necessarily have to be a superstar to be a physician? Please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT against anyone who is! That's truly great, and the best to them! Sincerely. But it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being an excellent physician that has yet many years to offer in service.

Ji Lin,

I completely understand where you're coming from. The medical school system often seems predicated on recruiting based on metrics that have relatively little bearing on a doctor's ability to handle patients and solve problems. And postbac programs that want to send a high percentage of their students to med school need to keep those metrics in mind. But your painting of typical students in selective postbacs as "superstars" just doesn't gel with reality. And if it's not reality, it's not "the truth". SDN isn't real. It's a land where stats and big-sounding extracurriculars matter, because they're easier to measure and give people the illusion of understanding and control of the admissions process. Postbac admission is, like all other hiring and admissions processes, a lottery. It's extremely subjective and based on factors like what mood the weather puts people in. Same goes for any job you ever apply to, so this process really isn't special.

I haven't heard of anyone in my Goucher cohort starting clinics in the developing world, or anything similarly Mother Theresa-like. To my knowledge, no one here has won any major scholarships or awards. I know some have in previous years, but every group has an outlier or two. Yes, I'm writing a novel - and maybe others are, too - but mine's about the same quality as Brian Griffin's Faster than the Speed of Love, and I have no dreams of ever publishing it. Yes, I've seen a video of one of my classmates perform classical music, but it's at a high school recital. The guys I go to class with aren't just former finance types or NPR producers, but former police dispatchers, med techs and high school teachers. Some had jobs that probably required salary subsidies from their parents, but certainly not most of us. Many of us had commitments. I applied to Goucher right before deploying to Afghanistan, and I started pretty much right after getting back. Others were in Peace Corps, had families or community organizations they built their lives around. Several of us are married, or have commitments to relatives. One of last year's grads has two children who are at the age where they need attention more than ever, and she still started med school last fall because she found a way to make it work. I arrived in this country with two suitcases and have had to finance all my studies myself, so I know how much tuition stings. Of course money is an issue for me and others.

I do agree that many postbacs seem to come from the affluent classes. They're not as much "nontraditional" as "late to the party". They have more freedom of action than the rest of us. But part of that is self-selection, and it's certainly not exclusive. It's hard to get people from nontraditional backgrounds to be aware of these programs, and then willing to apply to them. I've tried with many friends - none will bite (heck, I can't even get them to stay away from online universities for their associate's). They're intimidated. They don't think they've got what it takes. And SDN just doesn't help these people because it so easily devolves into a stat-fest.

Concentrated postbacs are an option, nothing more, nothing less. They're neither cheat codes to get into med school, nor factories churning out superstars. They're just an option exercised by regular people. Want more true non-trads in this program? Don't insinuate that it's not worth applying if you're not a "superstar". Because that's just not the truth.
 
Goucher2013 summed it up well, I really don't have much to add. No one would claim this is the only way to do post bacc (it obviously isn't) or that you can't succeed other ways (you obviously can). Not everyone can afford to put their lives on hold for a year, I totally get that. If you are lucky enough to have the time and/or resources (Uncle Sam and my good friend Stafford are loaning me their money at a "generous" 6.8% interest rate) to go this route, I do think a one year program like Bryn Mawr or Goucher sets you up exceptionally well to succeed.

I'm also a bit confused about your fixation with "superstars." Just like at Goucher, most of the people here are pretty ordinary folk, albeit ones with a passion for medicine. Sure one of my friends worked in global health, but plenty of other have been teachers, secretaries, EMTs, or worked in research. I totally understand how looking online, at SDN, etc. can give you a skewed perspective on things. Just know that the small fraction of people who post on SDN or have bios on the BM webpage may not be representative of reality. I would just caution you about making generalizations about a program you've never attended. The program you're describing, one that doesn't understand the hectic lives of non-trads (or very non-trads), that seems to select for neurotic superstars, and that doesn't understand that "life happens with you busy making other plans" doesn't sound like a program I'd like to go to. Luckily, that doesn't describe Bryn Mawr.
 
Hi, everyone! Has anyone who interviewed in early Feb heard back yet? Or know of when we'll hear back?

I interviewed Feb 6th and still haven't heard anything yet :/
 
Hi, everyone! Has anyone who interviewed in early Feb heard back yet? Or know of when we'll hear back?

I interviewed Feb 6th and still haven't heard anything yet :/


I also interviewed early Feb and still haven't heard back. I was told that they are hoping to have decisions made towards the end of Feb or early March.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has everyone been able to access their admissions information on the virtual Bryn Mawr site? I can get into the site, but there's nothing under any of the tabs ...
 
Hey guys! I submitted my application like a day or two before it was due, and I still haven't heard back about interviews (or not). Anybody else in the same boat? This is totally my absolute #1 choice, I'd be so sad if I didn't even get an interview.
 
I applied on the 5th and I received my rejection yesterday, womp womp

I'm sorry to hear that. 🙁 Were there other post-bacs that you've applied to?

If you don't mind me asking, did they email you with thier decision?
I'm still waiting to hear back from them and every time i see a new email in my inbox, I get a slight panic attack. :scared:

I'm tyring to mentally prepare myself, since my interview was horrible. The questions were very strange - nothing about my interest in medicine, background, or qualifications.
You never know though! I've had stranger interview questions and tests during interviews!
 
I'm sorry to hear that. 🙁 Were there other post-bacs that you've applied to?

If you don't mind me asking, did they email you with thier decision?
I'm still waiting to hear back from them and every time i see a new email in my inbox, I get a slight panic attack. :scared:

I'm tyring to mentally prepare myself, since my interview was horrible. The questions were very strange - nothing about my interest in medicine, background, or qualifications.
You never know though! I've had stranger interview questions and tests during interviews!

I applied to UVA, Goucher, Scripps, Colorado, and Harvard extension as well (not expecting much!). I have good SATs (1500), decent GPA (3.6) and lots of leadership experience, but very little medical experience so I'm guessing that's what did me in.

And yes, they emailed me their decision but it took me a day or so to notice it because it went to my spam box.
 
Interviewed 2/4, waitlisted today as well. My inner pessimist is telling me that it's basically not happening.
 
I'm not also sure what "too non-trad" means. We have people here from all over the place, from 22 year olds just out of college to mid 30-somethings who are married and have advanced degrees in other areas, or who have just been working other jobs for 5 or 10 years. I would definitely say that most people are between 0-5 years out of school (as I'd imagine that the number of people wanting to completely change careers and upend their lives decreases as people get older). I think the program would never reject you because you were non-trad. If anything, that's a huge asset in your candidacy. So I would agree with you that they're aren't a ton of students over the age of 31 or 32, but that because most applicants to our program are under that age. Someone with more life experience, if anything, will have an advantage coming in. Jodi (and everyone in the program) loves the experience older post-baccs bring to the process.

I've explained earlier why I think BM is an awesome program, and I'm happy to do so again. If anyone has any questions (including you j lin), I'd be happy to answer them.



Word to this. There's plenty of both Brooks Brothers and quirkiness in both of our programs. Also agree with the subjectivity of admissions. Stats are a part of it, but probably an over-exaggerated part. BM (and Goucher presumably) are looking for people who they can help succeed in getting into med school. That encompasses grades, but almost more important are personality, drive, and passion for medicine. This is harder to measure, but is a huge part in the selection process at BM. They want people with a genuine passion for the career they're pursuing. They don't want a bunch of pre-med robots here. And if you think this process is a little bit subjective, just wait until you get to med school admissions, where basically nothing makes any sense!

Thanks for the kind words Goucher2013. Postbaccs looking out for postbaccs.

I'm taking a deep breath and preparing my application for this fall 2014. These encouraging words helped settle the nerves a bit. Do you have any advice for the personal statement, or more importantly, the daunting interview that will loom post-app submission? I'm digging deep to get the motivation to craft a strong personal statement (both on paper and in interview), but applying with a GPA of about 3.3 and a couple academic marks against me, I'm trying my best to convey how passionate I am about medicine and how that has become apparent through my current Peace Corps Service.

I've been in touch with Marian and Jodi. They were both very helpful, but I was feeling a little intimidation. Any advice on a direction to head would be most helpful, especially from those who've already applied, interviewed and been accepted.
 
I'm taking a deep breath and preparing my application for this fall 2014. These encouraging words helped settle the nerves a bit. Do you have any advice for the personal statement, or more importantly, the daunting interview that will loom post-app submission? I'm digging deep to get the motivation to craft a strong personal statement (both on paper and in interview), but applying with a GPA of about 3.3 and a couple academic marks against me, I'm trying my best to convey how passionate I am about medicine and how that has become apparent through my current Peace Corps Service.

I've been in touch with Marian and Jodi. They were both very helpful, but I was feeling a little intimidation. Any advice on a direction to head would be most helpful, especially from those who've already applied, interviewed and been accepted.

Hey Julia,

Congrats on deciding to dive into medicine! We always have a few Peace Corps alums in the program, and that experience will be a definite plus in your app.

First piece of advice I can give you: try not to be daunted by this process. The admissions staff want to give you every opportunity to put your best foot forward, and if you're determined you will make it through to your goals, whether at BM or elsewhere.

Personal Statement and interview advice: there are really no tricks here. They want to know why you want to go into medicine, and why you've decided to do so now. In order to answer these questions, you'll obviously want to discuss what experiences have led you down this path, in what ways they've affected you, and how that's led you to consider medicine. Passion for medicine is definitely the key here as you mentioned, in both your essay and your interview. In your essay, you just want to tell your story. If you're worried about the interview, I want to stress that it's very very low key. The admissions staff are really friendly, and the interview didn't really offer any surprises (It's basically just riffs on the "Why medicine? Why now?" theme).

It's definitely a plus to have a stellar academic record, but having exceptional experiences can definitely help make up for past academic performance. If you can convince the staff that you will be motivated to perform well, and can handle the workload, you'll have a decent shot. Definitely don't let it stop you from applying.

And one final word, don't be intimidated at all by the office. It sounds like you've talked to both Marian and Jodi, who are two of the nicest women on earth. They obviously can't admit everyone who applies here, but they will do their best to assist you in the process even if you don't end up at BM.

If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them here or PM me!
 
I applied the last week of January and still haven't heard a peep from them. Anyone else in this boat? My virtual center said my transcripts had been 'initiated', but now that just feels like false hope....
 
Hey babs - I'm still in the same boat. I applied a few days before the deadline and still haven't heard back. I even emailed them to ask about the status of my application - no response. I'm also in this situation at Hopkins. My virtual student center says "post-bacc release form" under the "to do list," but when I click on it it doesn't let me do anything, so I have no idea what that is. Anyway, I'm willing to guess that if there are two of us, there are more of us. At least I hope 🙂 good luck!
 
Hey babs - I'm still in the same boat. I applied a few days before the deadline and still haven't heard back. I even emailed them to ask about the status of my application - no response. I'm also in this situation at Hopkins. My virtual student center says "post-bacc release form" under the "to do list," but when I click on it it doesn't let me do anything, so I have no idea what that is. Anyway, I'm willing to guess that if there are two of us, there are more of us. At least I hope 🙂 good luck!



Hey just a suggestion, but why don't you try giving the office a call to check on the status of your application? I did this once after I had not heard anything for awhile and they were more than helpful and willing to answer *almost* any question. Just remember to be as friendly as possible, even if you're frustrated. You can even choose to ask generally if ANYONE who applied X long ago can expect to hear something soon if you don't want to leave your name. Best of luck to you.
 
Hey just a suggestion, but why don't you try giving the office a call to check on the status of your application? I did this once after I had not heard anything for awhile and they were more than helpful and willing to answer *almost* any question. Just remember to be as friendly as possible, even if you're frustrated. You can even choose to ask generally if ANYONE who applied X long ago can expect to hear something soon if you don't want to leave your name. Best of luck to you.


I've tried that, but as I live overseas anytime I get transfered through their system the call drops! So frustrating. I'll try again tonight. Hopefully we get some good news!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad