BS in Dental Hygiene or Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalala__

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I'm a 23 yo recent graduate with a BS in Biology. Initially, I was thinking to apply to dental school right away after graduation but due to personal reasons I haven't been able to. I have fulfilled all my prereqs for dental school and have an overall gpa of 3.63.

Lately, I realized I want to pursue Public Health (maybe MPH) as well and needed advice if I should go for BS Dental Hygiene/MPH? (credits would transfer for BS so I can finish in 2 years) Or if I should just go for Dental school - I'd prolly be applying for the 2020 cycle. Im not sure which path would be better for me? I have heard of schools with DDS/MPH programs but I'm afraid it would take me too long. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

FYI, I haven't taken my DAT yet.
 
Last edited:
shadow both. seems like a decent idea to do one first if you cant do the other immediately unless you hate one or the other.

Personally I would LOVE being a dentist and HATE being a hygenist after seeing both frequently.

Don't do anything "just because" it seems like a good idea
 
You should really shadow both and see which one interests you more. IMO, after doing hygiene as part of my dental school program, it is a little more dull and repetitive. As a dentist your life is a little more exciting with more procedures that you can perform.

You will likely have more opportunities as a DMD/MPH than you would if you went the RDH route.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.