BS vs. BA degree...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beannaithe

Bionerd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just had a random question about the type of degrees that dental schools look for. I'm working on a BA degree in Bio (my department has a BS degree in the works, but no one's actually passed through it yet).

So is having a BA worse then having a BS?

Just was wondering since I checked WVU's acceptance list and it looked like most of the people who got accepted were people who had BS degrees over a BA.

Also, anyone know what a good science GPA?

And last question, my school has a ped-med/pre-dental comittee that I need to go through? Does anyone know how that affects the dental schools' decisions?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but my school has *no* resources whatsoever! :smuggrin:

Thanks for all the help in advance. I appreciate it! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter at all. The reason why you are witnessing more people with BS and a BA is simple: a lot of pre-professional students simply go the route of a BS in biology (a BS is usually more prevalent in the traditional sciences whereas a BA usually dominates in the Liberal Arts). A good science gpa (and by good I don't mean average) in my opinion is anything greater than a 3.5. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be getting a BA in Biochemistry and I got in to 5 dental schools. I avoided the BS because it was geared towards people interested in research and only required (on top of what I had taken) a terrible 2 semesters of P-Chem, instead of the one thet I took (and will never need..).

i am getting a BA in molecular cell biology (neuro emphasis) and I basically got into 8 dental schools. so it doesn't matter. laters

In the end, isn't every degree a bunch of BS?

BS programs in general have more required classes than a BA does. It really doesn't matter which one you get for dental school...in fact, you don't even need a degree to go into dental school...it's just that most people are so close to getting that degree (1 more year) so, they just go for it. It gives them another option in choosing a career if they dont' make dentistry. (so..pick a major that you can do something with...don't pick bio just because the majority of people who go into dental school are bio majors)

A good science GPA or any other GPA- you want to aim for around 3.4 and above. With an average or slight above average DAT scores and good essay, you should get into a lot of the dental schools. (provided you dont' apply later than early September...)

And last question, my school has a ped-med/pre-dental comittee that I need to go through? I am not sure what you mean by "my school has a ped-med/pre-dental comittee that I need to go through"--do you mean like a predental major?? If that's the case, it's just s set of courses listed to focus you to take them for the requirements prior admission to dental schools. That most likely won't have any effect on the decision.

Sweeti8286 said:
And last question, my school has a ped-med/pre-dental comittee that I need to go through? I am not sure what you mean by "my school has a ped-med/pre-dental comittee that I need to go through"--do you mean like a predental major??

My school has this committee that all of the preprofessional students have to go through. Dental, medical, etc. We have to have a ton of letters of recommendation, an essay and a couple of interviews. Then the committee recommends us to dental schools based on our grades, performance in the essays and things along those lines. i was just wondering how dental schools look at the recommendations of a committee as opposed to someone who applied without a committee.

Thanks! :luck: