BU DMD AS 2018-2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enamal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am starting this thread for the applicants to BU 2018-2019 (the new cycle).
Lets start this journey! Lets start by discussing stats:
What do you guys feel about my stats:
NBD 1 and 2
GPA 3.9
MPH
Research experience (non dental)
CE courses
1 year of work experience
1.5 years of US volunteer dental assisting experience
Few months of dental assisting/volunteer exp in Canada
Community Service in Home country - 3 months

I feel its not just stats!!
All the best!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

HI, you have pretty solid profile. You will get in everywhere with 100+ TOEFL score.

HI, you have pretty solid profile. You will get in everywhere with 100+ TOEFL score.
Thank you so much!
I applied three years back but got rejected from one program.
Lets see this year!
What about yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!
I applied three years back but got rejected from one program.
Lets see this year!
What about yourself?
GPA 2.8
NBDE 1 and 2
TOEFL 102
DA Diploma from canada
2 years of shadowing
1 month internship in a dental lab

not great stats ..first time applying.. so will see what happens.

GPA 2.8
NBDE 1 and 2
TOEFL 102
DA Diploma from canada
2 years of shadowing
1 month internship in a dental lab

not great stats ..first time applying.. so will see what happens.
I feel they are great!!!

Hi guys, any updates from Boston? is the class full? have they sent out rejections after interview?

I applied too. I think it is to early to expect iv. they said they will start reviewing applications closely starting July. Correct me

Thanks for replying. I meant the previous cycle. Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for replying. I meant the previous cycle. Sorry for the confusion
Hi, did you interview at Boston? I applied quite late in the previous cycle and have not heard from them after the completion mail.

Hi, did you interview at Boston? I applied quite late in the previous cycle and have not heard from them after the completion mail.
My friend was interviewed but hasnt heard from them since

First batch of interviews ends in August, second batch will after the deadline.
This is what I found after visiting the school with my friend who was accepted last year. A high score in TOEFL is what will put you in BU, anything else is relative, huge policy of diversity (balance background acceptance), experience with patient in the US is better. Overall is one of the best schools in New England. Good luck to everybody.
Thank you for sharing that information, Evets. How much of a high score are they looking for?

To be competitive according to Mr. Khan, dean of admissions, you need 100 and above. This is trending in high demanding school like, UPenn, Michigan and UIC, most of the schools will consider you with 90 and above. The keyword is "competitive" Someone with your same credentials will barred you with a higher TOEFL. The schools think that with no communications skills you won't succeed in patient care clinics (you have to talk a lot).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email stating that July and August are for previous applicants, after september they will take a lot first timers applications. I guess I have to wait. BU is my first choice.
I am a little confused by "Previous Applicants"? Do you mean applicants for 2017-18 cycle or 2018-19 cycle?

To be competitive according to Mr. Khan, dean of admissions, you need 100 and above. This is trending in high demanding school like, UPenn, Michigan and UIC, most of the schools will consider you with 90 and above. The keyword is "competitive" Someone with your same credentials will barred you with a higher TOEFL. The schools think that with no communications skills you won't succeed in patient care clinics (you have to talk a lot).
Thanks for sharing that information, Evets! Let's hope for the best.

This is my first time applying for any IDP/Advanced Standing DDS program. I recently received a completion email from BU. Anyhow, my stats are as follows..

GPA ECE 2.9
NBDE 1/2
Toefl 115
dental research experience in usa
many years DA exp in usa

im a little concerned about my GPA not being competitive enough...
i applied to a few other schools as well, but not really sure where i stand. Does anyone have any experience or ideas with what stats are needed to get into these programs?

Thanks and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Guys.. I am applying to BU too.. I finished caapid submission but dint hear anything from them yet..Are there any other documents to be sent apart from caapid like nbde toefl electronically ? little concerned.. please let me know.. thanks..

When will BU begin Interviews? Any idea?

Someone said he received iv for BU. Did anyone receive iv?

Are they rolling?
So applicants with very early completions have less hope now?

Are they rolling?
That’s my concern too. The one who got the iv had his completion date in june. Mine is in May

Reactions: 1 user
I completed my application in May too, haven’t heard from them yet.

Guys, I have a question. If I apply with a valid toefl score, yet I take another test and send new scores to schools, which score do they consider? Which ever score is higher, or just the new one?

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invitation for September 27. Anyone else?

Hi everyone, I just received an interview invitation for September 27. Anyone else?
Congratulations for interview invitation! When did you receive the completion email from BU?

Pls share ur stats
GPA: 3.46
TOEFL: 101
NBDE 1&2
1 year working as a dentist in my country
2 years working as dental assistant in the US
1 year shadowing in 3 different offices
Extracurricular activities while in school
Community service work in the US
CPR Certificate
Green card holder( if that's relevant)

Does anyone know somebody who was interviewed at BU? Can you please share what their experience was?

GPA: 3.46
TOEFL: 101
NBDE 1&2
1 year working as a dentist in my country
2 years working as dental assistant in the US
1 year shadowing in 3 different offices
Extracurricular activities while in school
Community service work in the US
CPR Certificate
Green card holder( if that's relevant)
Congrats on getting the interview. Is this your first time applying to BU for their advanced standing program?

Are they rolling?
Rolling admissions means the ones with early completions have a higher chance...Rolling admissions essentially means "first come first serve"

Congratulations, i heard from friends that it is a very relaxing iv and it is all around your cv. When did you receive your invite?

I got my completion email this May also. But heard that someone got the confirm email this Aug and then invited to interview in this Oct. So sad...

Hi, I had a question. I have multiple attempts for part 1 , do you think BU would still consider me? I completed my MPH and will now be taking NBDE part 2 in January.
I actually didn't know I had multiple attempts, I knew only of 1 however on my first attempt which was long time ago I did not show up for hte exam and today on ADA I saw they had put me as failed attempt. I have emailed them regarding the situation, however no reply.
Does anyone know of people getting in with multiple attempts?
Thank you.

Hi everyone! I’m applying from Canada. I couldn’t leave Canada for two year cause of immigration issues. So all my experience is Canadian. Does anyone know if they consider foreign trained dentists who are permanent residents of Canada? This is my first cycle.
My stats are
GPA- 4.0
Nbde part 1 and 2
TOEFL- 111
2 year research assistant experience from university of Toronto
1 year of shadowing and dental assisting experience with multiple dentists in Canada
6 months of community service in Canada
3 years of community service in my country
Is there anyone from Canada applying in this cycle? Any suggestions to improve my chances would help! Thankyou
Best of luck guys!

they are good! 100 is great!, just wait, they invite re aplicants first

Did people got invitations of October?
How many they interview in one batch?

This means they are busy with new batch(class of 2020). They will start interviewing in Sept. There is no such thing that july/aug is for re applicants.

Anyone here with October interview? Please share the dates.