BU March 2008 Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, he said that they were going to take less people due to their recent oversized classes. However, due to their recent demise in the rankings and the US finicial problems, BU waitlist may move a little more. Combined with the student rants on SDN, and we may just see the light at the end of the tunnel. But obviously this is pure speculation.

what happened to BU's ranking??

Members don't see this ad.

They have gone from 28 to 34 to 43 over the last two years.

Does anyone know of any GMSers from any class that have gotten in, either in January or March?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also from Fall '05, and I'm sticking it out. Got no other choice, this was my only interview (again).

I am in the same boat, I can't believe I will likely have to go through the whole application process for the third year in a row

ummm have there been any rejections????!!!!

that's what I don't understand. :confused: Not that I want to see people get rejected. But the fact that every non-acceptee here has been waitlisted tells me that there are probably no straight out rejections being sent out. I know that only a small sample posts here, but we already have 31 names and counting. And during the January decisions, people had no hesitation in telling us that they had been rejected. And yet, this time around, no one has posted that they got rejected. I think that we could be looking at a 300-400 person waitlist.

I think they do each type of response on a different day. Acceptances Saturday, Wait lists Monday, Rejections tomorrow? Only speculation of course but seems the most logical.

that's what I don't understand. :confused: Not that I want to see people get rejected. But the fact that every non-acceptee here has been waitlisted tells me that there are probably no straight out rejections being sent out. I know that only a small sample posts here, but we already have 31 names and counting. And during the January decisions, people had no hesitation in telling us that they had been rejected. And yet, this time around, no one has posted that they got rejected. I think that we could be looking at a 300-400 person waitlist.

I'm really hoping that the waitlist is not in the 300-400 range..........you would think that after what happened last year, they would have been a lot more selective in the number of acceptances given, and the number of waitlist spots.

No and I must have been high on the list too. Since I survived the two rounds of waitlist rejections last summer. I was, however, admitted earlier this year.

I can empathize with all of you. Good luck.

So they waitlist everyone and then slowly reject people off the waitlist?

rejections come last in this weeklong process.. they should theoretically be rolling in soon for some people...

As far as the rejections go, those will likely come sometime this week. Dr. Witzburg had said in February (when I interviewed) that they would be sending out some acceptances, some waitlists, and mostly rejections. According to him, they interviewed around 1000 people this year. They accepted about 1/3 of the upcoming class in Jan. They deferred a certain amount and rejected the rest. That left the second round to fill the rest of the class, drawing from new interviews and those that were deferred.

He did stress that they like to keep the WL "small," so 300-400 really wouldn't qualify in any sense of the word. I think they said they were limiting the acceptances this year, in an effort to have improved WL movement this year. Whether or not that is actually the case is anyone's guess, but it's all we have to go on.

Does anyone know of any GMSers from any class that have gotten in, either in January or March?

yes I know of a couple who have gotten in during the January round. Thats about it though.

So they waitlist everyone and then slowly reject people off the waitlist?

Yeah, look at the BU March Decision and the BU Waitlist threads from last year. Almost everyone was waitlisted and then slowly rejected in two rounds over the summer.

Yeah, I got accepted to BU this year and bunch of my friends did too. We all started in Fall 2006.

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious, did you all use the "message center" to accept your waitlist status?

I did, but I don't trust it.:thumbdown: I sent a message one time, and asked for a verification email or message. I never received NUTHIN' (which I realize means I did in fact receive something, but I'm sure you get the idea).

just curious, did you all use the "message center" to accept your waitlist status?

I did, but I don't trust it.:thumbdown: I sent a message one time, and asked for a verification email or message. I never received NUTHIN' (which I realize means I did in fact receive something, but I'm sure you get the idea).

I used the message center for waitlist acceptance and got a reply from them. I did not get one for deferred status acceptance though.

Check your sent messages a day or two after sending the message, and if it says "read" that means they got it.

Has anyone heard any more news? I wonder when they plan on sending out the rejections if they haven't already. Also, did anyone else get accepted? I'm really not sure about them giving out any more acceptances though, although if would be nice for people who havent heard anything yet :)

Has anyone heard any more news? I wonder when they plan on sending out the rejections if they haven't already. Also, did anyone else get accepted? I'm really not sure about them giving out any more acceptances though, although if would be nice for people who havent heard anything yet :)

Are there people who haven't heard anything yet?

I don't know if anyone hasn't heard yet. It may be that everyone was either accepted or waitlisted, although that doesn't make much sense.

Seriously, since they interviewed like 1000 people. Imagine the actual size of the "small" wailtist if that was the case...

Hey everyone,

You can add me to the waitlist as well, and I am a second year GMSer as well. Wow there seem to be a lot of us............

1- punkindrublic
2- twitterpated6
3- mc4435
4- go lakers
5- matilde
6- mikkey
7- dth92
8- UCI Girl
9- asmith1121
10- feline
11- illmattic
12- dandelionwisps*
13- the champ*
14- utscdave
15- surf rx
16- star polyp*
17- premedontherun
18- Dayne
19- Goosies fiance
20- ILikeToMoveIt
21- CptJPMcDoogle
22- OZman
23- bugmser*
24- Robu511
25- HigHal320
26- Dr Terrier MD*
27- springhurst*
28- lisabens*
29- nickgov
30- Koz
31- Sunday1225*

Everyone planning to stay on the waitlist?

lol... you're funny...

yes staying on the waitlist... but not gonna obsess about it... as in, not going to check this forum 5 times a day...... >.>

lol :p

I'm going to stay on as well, due to the fact that this is my only shot right now :( I'm secretly hoping that people decide not to stay on i though........... I'm still really curious about this whole rejection thing, last year they sent rejections and waitlist notifications out at the same time, I find it hard to believe that everyone in the second round got either accepted or waitlisted :confused:

yeah i was wondering how many of these 31 have other acceptances or not. i have one, but it's in michigan. my boyfriend is here though and will have to be here for another 3-4 years at least for his phd.

At least its smaller than last year's SDN list (44), well that or this thread just isn't as active.

Seriously, since they interviewed like 1000 people. Imagine the actual size of the "small" wailtist if that was the case...

I wish BU would give us at least some idea of how large the waitlist really is. Because as of now, I haven't heard of any rejections occuring. I know that a lot of schools like to be secretive in regards to the dynamics of their waitlist, but it's still very frustrating because I have no idea whether I'm in a pool of 100, 200, 300, or 400 applicants.

So I was wait listed too. I have been told by 3 people very high up on admissions (will not disclose who), that the number admitted is around 350 for the 180 seats (slightly less than previous years). The number wait listed is higher than the last couple years, by about 25%. Also, they all predict that given the slight economic recession a few more people will accept than normal and the wait list will once again not see much movement. Being a physician is a stable career and people have gone to med school more frequently in such times historically. Since they have accommodated the over acceptance of previous years they are going to keep the size larger (more money for them). They said to count on reapplying even though I am higher up on the list. The list is not ranked, but tiered. Sorry for the bad news everyone, good luck reapplying and hopefully we will all get in next year!

So I was wait listed too. I have been told by 3 people very high up on admissions (will not disclose who), that the number admitted is around 350 for the 180 seats (slightly less than previous years). The number wait listed is higher than the last couple years, by about 25%. Also, they all predict that given the slight economic recession a few more people will accept than normal and the wait list will once again not see much movement. Being a physician is a stable career and people have gone to med school more frequently in such times historically. Since they have accommodated the over acceptance of previous years they are going to keep the size larger (more money for them). They said to count on reapplying even though I am higher up on the list. The list is not ranked, but tiered. Sorry for the bad news everyone, good luck reapplying and hopefully we will all get in next year!
:eek: there goes all my hope

WOW :( That really sucks!!!!!!!!!!! Why would they put so many people on the waitlist if they didnt think that there would be any waitlist movement. It's kind of like giving false hope to people. I was really hoping that this year would be different, I guess not...............

Hey Turkleton are you a GMSer as well? If so did you hear any of the statistics for GMS students this year? I think last year it was 86 interviewed 34 accepted 32 waitlists and 20 rejected.

Hey Turkleton are you a GMSer as well? If so did you hear any of the statistics for GMS students this year? I think last year it was 86 interviewed 34 accepted 32 waitlists and 20 rejected.

I am not, but I know that the GMS breakdown was similar this year. My GMS friend told me too that their adviser said it is harder for GMS to get off the wait list. Sounds to me like they have a quota for that program or put people on wait list to keep them motivated to reapply for another school.

By the way did you all hear that BU is going to be THE MOST EXPENSIVE medical school in the nation starting this fall!!??!?!?! That coupled with their plummeting rank... i am wondering if it may be a blessing in disguise to pull out and reapply

By the way did you all hear that BU is going to be THE MOST EXPENSIVE medical school in the nation starting this fall!!??!?!?! That coupled with their plummeting rank... i am wondering if it may be a blessing in disguise to pull out and reapply

That is insane! Have they pulled up their tuition fees?

Thanks for the info. And I do believe that it's very likely that the waitlist may not move much and that it is tiered. But I don't really understand their reasons for thinking that more applicants would accept because of the economic recession. I mean, it's not like people are going to turn down BU if its the only place they've been accepted regardless of whether there's an economic boom or bust going on. People apply to medical school because they want to go there - not because they are just weighing all their job options and will ultimately make a decision when they do get an acceptance. There's just too work involved in the process to treat it that casually.

I can picture more people applying to medical school because of the recession - and hence more qualified applicants. But I can't picture the economy determining an applicant's decision to attend medical school if he/she has already been accepted.

I think that our only real hope is an excess of people turning down BU for other schools for various reasons (i.e. the cost, drop in USnews rankings, etc.).

Thanks for the info. And I do believe that it's very likely that the waitlist may not move much and that it is tiered. But I don't really understand their reasons for thinking that more applicants would accept because of the economic recession. I mean, it's not like people are going to turn down BU if its the only place they've been accepted regardless of whether there's an economic boom or bust going on. People apply to medical school because they want to go there - not because they are just weighing all their job options and will ultimately make a decision when they do get an acceptance. There's just too work involved in the process to treat it that casually.

I can picture more people applying to medical school because of the recession - and hence more qualified applicants. But I can't picture the economy determining an applicant's decision to attend medical school if he/she has already been accepted.

I think that our only real hope is an excess of people turning down BU for other schools for various reasons (i.e. the cost, drop in USnews rankings, etc.).

If BU is the only place you are accepted then you are sort of trapped into accepting their offer, I would think with the economy students would be more concious about not choosing a medical school that will basically play a big role in dictating future decisions they make. I.e. for the amount of tuition you will pay, it is a significant factor I have seen for a lot of people in terms of where they can afford to live, can they afford to start a family or must they wait. Plus given that Boston is practically the most expenisve place to live, you get a double whammie. For the drop in quality of the education over the years, i.e. good attendings leaving and uncoordinated 1st and 2nd years, as probably mirrored in their drop in the rankings, they should lower tuition as students are just not getting the same product anymore, but they won't . . . a lot of people get in off the waitlist at BU as more competitive candidates go elsewhere, I doubt this year will be any different.

ahhhhhhhhhh i hate this... people giving their own opinions, conflicting information, secret ad com sources.... lol... blah....

a lot of people get in off the waitlist at BU as more competitive candidates go elsewhere, I doubt this year will be any different.

unless you are privy to some adcom secrets, that is certainly not what was told to the interviewees. For the last 2 years, waitlist movement is terrible. The Dean did say he would do something to remedy this situation, either by lowering acceptance rate, or lowering waitlist rate, so people who are waitlisted have a better shot. But again, he could've told us anything. :confused:

If BU is the only place you are accepted then you are sort of trapped into accepting their offer, I would think with the economy students would be more concious about not choosing a medical school that will basically play a big role in dictating future decisions they make. I.e. for the amount of tuition you will pay, it is a significant factor I have seen for a lot of people in terms of where they can afford to live, can they afford to start a family or must they wait. Plus given that Boston is practically the most expenisve place to live, you get a double whammie. For the drop in quality of the education over the years, i.e. good attendings leaving and uncoordinated 1st and 2nd years, as probably mirrored in their drop in the rankings, they should lower tuition as students are just not getting the same product anymore, but they won't . . . a lot of people get in off the waitlist at BU as more competitive candidates go elsewhere, I doubt this year will be any different.

I think you are quite right. Its really expensive and the amount of debt people will incure while in school will be enormous, especially if that bill that says you have to start paying interest as soon as you graduate passes. BU is also known to be really bad when it comes to finincial aid.
However, in past years there has been no waitlist movement and so there is no way to predict what will happen this year. Maybe students who have a choice will turn down BU in order to go to their state school, which I think in these economic situation is a good idea, and maybe they won't. Past impressions may play a role on enrolement, as people have in mind that BU is a top school, even though it no longer is according to the new rankings. So there really is no way to predict waitlist movement.

and hopefully this year's first years will pass at a higher rate than last years, and can move on to second year instead of taking up first year spaces...

and hopefully this year's first years will pass at a higher rate than last years, and can move on to second year instead of taking up first year spaces...

AHAHAHAH. You are so right.

dandelion....which med school in Michigan? I'm accepted at Wayne State (which is a very good school) and right now, it looks like where I'm goin. You headed there too?

Slap me on the waitlist as well! There are enough of us to start our own med school at this point!

1- punkindrublic
2- twitterpated6
3- mc4435
4- go lakers
5- matilde
6- mikkey
7- dth92
8- UCI Girl
9- asmith1121
10- feline
11- illmattic
12- dandelionwisps*
13- the champ*
14- utscdave
15- surf rx
16- star polyp*
17- premedontherun
18- Dayne
19- Goosies fiance
20- ILikeToMoveIt
21- CptJPMcDoogle
22- OZman
23- bugmser*
24- Robu511
25- HigHal320
26- Dr Terrier MD*
27- springhurst*
28- lisabens*
29- nickgov
30- Koz
31- Sunday1225*
32- Julietcf14

They have gone from 28 to 34 to 43 over the last two years.

i'm afraid this will spark more ranting about how horrible BU is, but do you guys have any ideas about why their rankings are dropping so dramatically? :confused:

hey everyone, keep your heads up! i am most likely going to withdraw from BU in the coming weeks, and im sure there are a lot like me who will do so too. im sure most of the people who will withdraw (and even those who were rejected) aren't regular posters on this thread, so don't worry...

:luck: to all of you!

hey everyone, keep your heads up! i am most likely going to withdraw from BU in the coming weeks, and im sure there are a lot like me who will do so too. im sure most of the people who will withdraw (and even those who were rejected) aren't regular posters on this thread, so don't worry...

:luck: to all of you!

Why did you decide to withdraw?

Why did you decide to withdraw?

got into another school which i prefer over boston. although as my first acceptance, BU will always have a special place in my heart :)

got into another school which i prefer over boston. although as my first acceptance, BU will always have a special place in my heart :)

AHAHAHA! Good luck next year!

Anyone hear of accepted GMS'ers that do not plan on attending BUSM next year. Looks like this will be our only shot of getting pulled off the WL.

dandelion....which med school in Michigan? I'm accepted at Wayne State (which is a very good school) and right now, it looks like where I'm goin. You headed there too?

oops i went MIA for a while.. yes! wayne! that's where i'm looking forward too. are you instate michigan or oos?