BU March Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No email, no mail. I live in 02118.
What gives?

Members don't see this ad.

count me in for the waitlist
ive been waitlisted at 9 schools with 1 post-interview rejection and 0 acceptance. i lost faith.
i just hope that's due to my citizenship status i.e. im not an american citizen

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait list count: 19

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon

wow, that's a lot. let's keep our hopes up, guys!! it's still early in the game, since we're getting closer to the day when people can keep only 1 acceptance. I'm guessing people will start trickling out of BU as they hear back from other schools. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Wait list count: 20

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee

I sure liked BU and was hoping for good news :(

Good luck to all of the waitlisters! Just hang in there and I'm sure there will be some movement after May 15 :luck:

I haven't heard anything via email or phone and not sure what to make of it...Were the waitlist emails sent out as a batch or individually trickle in?

Wait list count: 21

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
dago (shaking fist furiously to the sky)

I sure liked BU and was hoping for good news

Good luck to all of the waitlisters! Just hang in there and I'm sure there will be some movement after May 15 :luck:

I haven't heard anything via email or phone and not sure what to make of it...Were the waitlist emails sent out as a batch or individually trickle in?

That might be a good sign! The best news doesn't appear to come via email.

I don't think the waitlist emails were sent out as one batch; others had been notified at least a couple hours before mine was even sent. They may still send more emails.

so were all acceptances either snail mail or phone call? no "email and snail mail" folks in here? no acceptances were sent out as emails at all??? not even as a "we've updated your status on the myapplication page....go check"??

although I live in Boston and only found out acceptance offhand (only via emailing my interviewer in the middle of the night), I had neither a phone call nor gotten anything in the mail yet. so if i hadnt emailed my guy, I would still be the complete dark-- thus, no news is still potentially good news for other folks out there! :)

I'm rooting for all of ya, esp you Sendwich, Voice, Thayer, DrCurious, and mdgolf84!!! And I totally hear ya with all the damn waitlists-- i have too many myself!

Well, I'm awake now . . . loggin in for another day of fun and games here on SDN.

You accepted people, please channel any extra acceptance karma you might have our way yeah? :p

Hey - I'm pulling for all you guys - it would be great to meet you all next year - I can't think of a more supportive group that I could spend the next four years of life with!!

I will be diverting all good karma to all the fine folks who will make great classmates. I really really hope to see you guys come August.:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in for wait list

Wait list count: 22

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp

Did anyone else get the impression that the "small stack" of waitlisted applicants on Dean Witzburg's desk isn't so small after all? He made it seem like there were maybe 10 people they would keep on the waitlist. Think of how many applicants aren't on SDN....

i agree, the "small stack" phrase seems untrue. but then again, i wouldnt be surprised if SDNers comprise a large proportion of applicant pool waiting to hear. so maybe the small stack is around 50 total. this is much smaller than say Yale and Penn waitlists with ~200 people on the multi-tiered waitlists!

anyone ever try MDPOTENTIAL? (sister of MDAPPLICANTS)... let's play take-a-poll on this thread...

enter your info here http://mdpotential.com/ ,then someone post their estimated BU acceptance probability calculated from MDPOTENTIAL (if you're okay with it, since we're all anonymously here).

i'm not saying it's that valid of a database (so many other factors besides GPA and MCAT), but it'll be something to do during the wait if you want to play. plus, you might figure out where you *potentially* are among peers in the WL.

I got 51% chance of interview, and 21% chance of BU acceptance... anyone else next?

(just be sure to copy paste http://mdpotential.com/ each time you post, or else the link might get lost in the exploding thread)

Did anyone else get the impression that the "small stack" of waitlisted applicants on Dean Witzburg's desk isn't so small after all? He made it seem like there were maybe 10 people they would keep on the waitlist. Think of how many applicants aren't on SDN....

When I logged onto the BUSM message thinger to confirm that I wanted to hold my waitlist spot, I also asked how many ppl were on the waitlist. The second I hear back, I'll post for y'all.

I'm rooting for all of ya, esp you Sendwich, Voice, Thayer, DrCurious, and mdgolf84!!! And I totally hear ya with all the damn waitlists-- i have too many myself!

Thanks Epi! I'll take all the good vibes I can get :)

When I logged onto the BUSM message thinger to confirm that I wanted to hold my waitlist spot, I also asked how many ppl were on the waitlist. The second I hear back, I'll post for y'all.

Oh! good call!

Been following this thread for the past couple of days--thanks to everyone for their updates and support.

Waitlist here as well.

Hey guys. I got waitlisted last night too as of 9:40pm (odd time to receive an email, but oh well). So, add me to "THE LIST" along with 6 more that I know of personally from my program who are also WL-ed. What's the tally at now?

anyone ever try MDPOTENTIAL? (sister of MDAPPLICANTS)... let's play take-a-poll on this thread...

enter your info here .

I got 51% chance of interview, and 21% chance of BU acceptance... anyone else next?

50% chance of interview, 28% chance of acceptance

I haven't heard yet.

Do we just write from the message center to say that "i confirm my wl spot"?

Do we just write from the message center to say that "i confirm my wl spot"?

That's what I did Dr. Curious. If I don't receive a confirmation email in a couple business days I'm going to call or email to make sure they received my request to stay on the waitlist.

I also used the message center, and I didn't get a receipt or anything in my email or on the message center itself so at the moment I cant be sure it was received.

:confused:

Wait list count: 30

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows

small waitlist, indeed... :thumbdown:

to give you guys hope, based on US news, In 2005 BU accepted 440 or so people. They probably only accepted 300 like usual, but 140 people off a waitlist is pretty sweet regardless whether its small or not.

waitlists are inhumane, man...

Unless historically there have been more than 30 acceptances from the list, what is the point of all this?

to give you guys hope, based on US news, In 2005 BU accepted 440 or so people. They probably only accepted 300 like usual, but 140 people off a waitlist is pretty sweet regardless whether its small or not.

Curious... remember though, that BU, like other schools always over accepts. So usually they accept 300 people for ~140-150 seats in the class. So, the WL is not necessarily tapped into once all those extra acceptances are denied by those who received them and if and only if the the 150 or so seats aren't filled yet.... that's when the WL will begin to move....

waitlists are inhumane, man...

Unless historically there have been more than 30 acceptances from the list, what is the point of all this?
I don't know if you can look at this historically. If I remember right, last year there were only around 20 people on the waitlist total. I think that because of the huge over acceptance last year, they have moved to a more conservative initial acceptance offer this year, so that a similar mistake doesn't occur again this year.

Also, I've heard they are keeping the class size around 185 this year that is more kids that could choose to not matriculate at BU next year.

I don't know if you can look at this historically. If I remember right, last year there were only around 20 people on the waitlist total. I think that because of the huge over acceptance last year, they have moved to a more conservative initial acceptance offer this year, so that a similar mistake doesn't occur again this year.

Also, I've heard they are keeping the class size around 185 this year that is more kids that could choose to not matriculate at BU next year.

Its actaully only 110-120 seats

60 seats are taken up by the various programs at BU, (You can look it up at the med site)

My guess they may have sent fewer due to the mishap, but reagrdless, it seems that (like i stated earlier) if 140 people were offered a position via the waitlist then many people DO decline BU's offer. Also, what will help us waitlisters is the fact that BU also fell 6 spots in ranking, and cost of tuition increased. Both of these factors may let us potentially receive an acceptance, i hope.

Overall, I am confident that they arent too many people on the waitlist, my guess would be 80-100.

Lets hope for the best guys, Really would love to get some good news.

I love BU :):luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I heard the same thing... they've kept the initial acceptances lower than last year to ensure more control over final class size.
The result is a bigger waitlist... and probably a better chance of making your way off of it.

Also, I've also heard that the Waitlist is not just the Waitlist. For instance, if you are a GMS kid on the waitlist, then you will take the spot of a GMS acceptance that is turned down. Whereas, a GMS acceptance that it turned down will not be taken by a non-GMS kid on the waitlist.... so, I don't know how this affects some of you, but if you're trying to figure out you chances of getting off percentage-wise... it will change the game a bit....

Hey OWLET, did you interview at BU on Jan 26th by chance? i remember someone there from NM that day, just curious.

Hey OWLET, did you interview at BU on Jan 26th by chance? i remember someone there from NM that day, just curious.

No, I was there on Jan 10th. Not too many New Mexicans out there, though...

I heard the same thing... they've kept the initial acceptances lower than last year to ensure more control over final class size.
The result is a bigger waitlist... and probably a better chance of making your way off of it.

If this is happening, which I definitely believe, then you guys on the WL should've all been accepted right now if it weren't for the fluke last year! additionally, #applications rose dramatically nationwide (up 25% across the board) and at BU to ~11,500 applications this year (according to Witzburg). So its just by chance an off/tougher year. Doesnt mean you're any less qualified for BU compared to previous cushier years.

If this is happening, which I definitely believe, then you guys on the WL should've all been accepted right now if it weren't for the fluke last year! additionally, #applications rose dramatically nationwide (up 25% across the board) and at BU to ~11,500 applications this year (according to Witzburg). So its just by chance an off/tougher year. Doesnt mean you're any less qualified for BU compared to previous cushier years.

Hey, epidemic, did you receive your acceptance stuff in the mail today? I'm in Boston and still haven't heard anything...no email, no mail. Just curious.

Also wondering where you get that 25% increase in apps across the board...

Hey ltrain, I just checked my mailbox and found my BU envelope. Revisit open house is Saturday April 28th. it says we must reserve our place by notifying BU our acceptance by April 11th.

For WLers, hopefully BU can start having a sense of how many are initially accepting/declining by mid April, although some people will wait for their financial aid package (we have to apply now separately) before eventual withdrawl in mid May.

everyone on WL hang in there!

p.s. I heard the 25% spike from multiple school admissions offices- apps went up everywhere this year. craziness.

Oops, and I think I forgot to say... Congrats Epidemic! :)

I've lost track of who I've congratulated...so everyone that was accepted: Congratulations!

Hey ltrain, I just checked my mailbox and found my BU envelope. Revisit open house is Saturday April 28th. it says we must reserve our place by notifying BU our acceptance by April 11th.

For WLers, hopefully BU can start having a sense of how many are initially accepting/declining by mid April, although some people will wait for their financial aid package (we have to apply now separately) before eventual withdrawl in mid May.

p.s. I heard the 25% spike from multiple school admissions offices- apps went up everywhere this year. craziness.

Congrats on the acceptance and thanks for posting!

I guess we'll see if they ever decide to notify me... :rolleyes:

Received an acceptance packet today in the mail! I'm gonna stay in NY though, so will relinquish my spot to hopefully one of you.

congrats, epidemic!! i was accepted in Jan, but haven't received much info on the open house and I am trying to coordinate plane tickets. does it say what when the open house starts and ends?? thanks, enjoy the weekend!

congrats, epidemic!! i was accepted in Jan, but haven't received much info on the open house and I am trying to coordinate plane tickets. does it say what when the open house starts and ends?? thanks, enjoy the weekend!

the letter didnt mention anything else about revisit day other than the date. you should call them on Monday. belated congrats to you too kbear.

i'll try and get some #'s and stats on BU acceptance/waitlist for the rest of our SDN WLers when i go there that day. again, gluck!

GOOOOOOO BRUINS!!!!!!

At least basketball can keep my mind off things...

Waitlisted

Add me to the wait a nine o'clocl last night:(

Wait list count: 32

sendwich
drcurious
CptCrunch
VoiceofReason
swissmiss
jeepney
Mutt
johara
wannaB
VivaPortual
Mdgolfer84
chemist323
murt
thayer
gandychan
chevaliermalfet
sajor2000
in4mant
AzuraDragon
jaycee
Star polyp
queenstown
doctak04
+6 people doctak knows
iamble24
tivski

BU GMS Student - WAITLISTED!

I've been a casual observer for the last couple of days... I am only posting my results b/c it seems like the right thing to do. I wonder how many other waitlisted "casual observers" are out there that have yet to post a response???

BTW, I am super skeptical of the whole BU waitlist situation - especially if GMS'ers can only take the seat of other GMS students who have declined their seats!! Are we sure that this is the case - or is this merely speculation??

Anyhow, congrats to those accepted and goodluck to all of those on the waitlist!!

hello. as my login suggests, i just joined after learning of my waitlist at bu. felt like i should post my status as well to keep the wl count as accurate as possible. good luck to everyone here, since luck is the ONLY factor in med school admissions.