BU March Decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"By March 15 of the year of matriculation, each school of medicine should have issued a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of its first-year entering class."

"By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

I got both of these from the AAMC website. So, they should have admitted or will admit at least ~160(?!?!) people within the next few days.

Key words in this quote is SHOULD. I know of a few schools that don't for instance OHSU does not make most of their decisions until mid-April. I know this for a fact. Most applicants get put on hold til then. They are a non-rolling school. Therefore, I would say the jury is still out on the exact day BU will notify us of their decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

Just for the record, (because I have nothing else to do on a Tuesday night over spring break) I dug up the old Wall of Fame lists from 2006, and it looks like the BU acceptances arrived via snail mail on March 29th/March 30th. If you care to look yourself, the link is here.

Granted there is the possibility that the dates change from year to year (but I mean really, what are the chances of that? :p ) but for those of y'all (myself included) still sweating it out, it looks like they are pretty serious about doing it on or about that March 30th deadline. Hope that helps, and good luck to you guys!

Just for the record, (because I have nothing else to do on a Tuesday night over spring break) I dug up the old Wall of Fame lists from 2006, and it looks like the BU acceptances arrived via snail mail on March 29th/March 30th. If you care to look yourself, the link is here.

Granted there is the possibility that the dates change from year to year (but I mean really, what are the chances of that? :p ) but for those of y'all (myself included) still sweating it out, it looks like they are pretty serious about doing it on or about that March 30th deadline. Hope that helps, and good luck to you guys!

Yeah, I took a peek at the 2006 class thread and it looks like they really mean the end of March.

Members don't see this ad :)

yikes

I kinda liked it better when they told me that decisions were going out early this week. Let's go ahead and go back to that.

10 days and counting..... unless you don't want to count the 31st because its a Satruday... then its only 9 more days!!!:D :) :oops: :confused: :scared:

10 days and counting..... unless you don't want to count the 31st because its a Satruday... then its only 9 more days!!!:D :) :oops: :confused: :scared:

do you think they'd be cruel enough to send out decisions out letter at the last possible minute? the suspense!! dah!! :eek:

do you think they'd be cruel enough to send out decisions out letter at the last possible minute? the suspense!! dah!! :eek:

Of course I do.... the entire process is cruel! I bet there are some devious looking individuals rubbing their hands together and smiling at all of the decisions that are sitting on someones desk rignt now just waiting to go out in the mail, but aren't because they just want a few more days of of making us poor bastards wait! NAH!!! LOL!

These are just the little things I come up with while trying to pass the time.

The real cruelity comes in the fact each morning I wake up and the business day on the east coast is almost over. By the time lunchtime rolls around there is no way in hell that I am going to hear anything else. That means that I suffer through the rest of my work/school day thinking about all of this nonsense and what may come tomorrow. And to top it all off... the mail takes ages here, so if you guys hear at the end of next week, I will be lucky if I get anything the following Monday, assuming its good news! Just to vent!

Of course I do.... the entire process is cruel! I bet there are some devious looking individuals rubbing their hands together and smiling at all of the decisions that are sitting on someones desk rignt now just waiting to go out in the mail, but aren't because they just want a few more days of of making us poor bastards wait! NAH!!! LOL!

These are just the little things I come up with while trying to pass the time.

The real cruelity comes in the fact each morning I wake up and the business day on the east coast is almost over. By the time lunchtime rolls around there is no way in hell that I am going to hear anything else. That means that I suffer through the rest of my work/school day thinking about all of this nonsense and what may come tomorrow. And to top it all off... the mail takes ages here, so if you guys hear at the end of next week, I will be lucky if I get anything the following Monday, assuming its good news! Just to vent!

are you on the west coast? southern california here boo (the slowness of mail). i swear, every time i think about this whole process, my bp shoots up sky high. tell me we're gonna get through all this!! :(

are you on the west coast? southern california here boo (the slowness of mail). i swear, every time i think about this whole process, my bp shoots up sky high. tell me we're gonna get through all this!! :(

I feel the exact same way...
What's worse is I'm in the BU:Graduate Medical Sciences program...so I walk by the BUSM admissions office every day. It takes all my strength of will not to go in there and bug the secretaries :rolleyes:

And in a way SDN is like a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, I feel like reading all the stressed out posts makes me more anxious. But, it's nice to know there are other people going through the same thing as me. :)

Hang in there everyone!

-Thayer

Yeah, malla probably has it the worst out of all of us. You can't get much farther away from BU than Hawaii. But then, the next worst thing is California, and that is where sendwitch and i happen to be. *sighs* This month has taken too long as it is. I don't know if i've ever wanted something so bad before; if we can get in, we're going to be doctors, end of story. All the crap we've had to put up with, the MCATs, the ECs, LORs, grades, AMCAS, the secondaries, and interviews, is all behind us. One would think that we would be relived it is out of our hands now; that the hard part is over and all we need to do is sit back and watch . . . except for if it goes against us, it means all that work was in vain. If sheer desire were enough, I'm sure we'd all become physicians without a doubt. *sigh* Just tired of worrying and stressing. But then who isn't? lol. Just ranting too guys. In less than ten days (that's only 240 hours!) all our worries could be fixed, and who knows? maybe we'll find ourselves at BU together.

Just as a side note, this whole thing is probably going to be a lot like the interview invites; while you're freaking out and waiting and constantly checking the mailbox, the invites never come. It's only when you come home tired and cranky and you check your email on a whim to see if you have had any recent facebook activity or something that you find that innocuous little email bearing the good news. Now if only we could get better at not thinking about it . . .

I feel the exact same way...
What's worse is I'm in the BU:Graduate Medical Sciences program...so I walk by the BUSM admissions office every day. It takes all my strength of will not to go in there and bug the secretaries :rolleyes:

And in a way SDN is like a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, I feel like reading all the stressed out posts makes me more anxious. But, it's nice to know there are other people going through the same thing as me. :)

Hang in there everyone!

-Thayer

are you 1st or 2nd year GMS? fellow GMSer as well. gluck!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what it feels like to be accepted..

Will my mouth dry up and my stomach drop? Will it be followed by an intense and not altogether pleasant feeling, like 1000 anesthetic needles, in my epidermis? Or will my bowels simply evacuate onto the floor of my research lab, as I sieze up like an epileptic ******..

This what I think about a good portion of every day in March.

Another post on that "Be wary of BU" thread. I'm really starting to think those posters are not legit . . .

Another post on that "Be wary of BU" thread. I'm really starting to think those posters are not legit . . .

how so? i'm starting to get a bit scared. do you think the same 1 or 2 people are posting the same sort of negatives?

I'm a med student at BU. Listen up:

That "be wary of BU" crap constitutes a ridiculous thread. I'm quite sure the person who started that is upset and/or highly biased against the school. I've had not a single bad experience here; the faculty is great, facilities are great, so many opportunities for research during the year and throughout the first summer that you'll have a hard time decided which project you'd like to do.

I haven't been mistreated once. On the contrary, all doctors with whom I've worked have emphasized, to an even unnecessary degree, how important it is for me to provide constructive feedback regarding the job they're doing as instructors/supervisors/etc. A couple of great psychiatrists guide you through a lot of the early clinical stuff and teach a couple of courses, showing you how to deal compassionately with patients whilst liberally offering up their services to you should you ever feel the need to pour your heart out or b*tch about something.

The latter hasn't been necessary; I've had nothing to b*tch about. BU is a great school; anyone who tells you otherwise either hasn't been here or has misdirected emotions based only on how difficult it is to BECOME A DOCTOR. Let's not forget that it's supposed to be hard.

We're nearing the end of the week.. is today the day?

I'm a second year GMS :) . How about you?

i'm also a 2nd year GMS (finishined this january). is bu your first choice? hows the app process going for you?

We're nearing the end of the week.. is today the day?

i really hope so :). but most folks here think it's more like "end of the month" (aka March 29th or 30th, like last year).

Chevalier pegged me. I'm from Hawaii. So, I know you are all thinking quit your whining, you live in an awesome place. But, the major disadvantage is that the mail has to travel half-way across the Pacific.... oh yeah and the 15 hours of travel time that it takes me to get from the beautiful 50th state to the blessed Atlantic seaboard. Ok... so I'm rambling... actually I'm avoiding studying for an exam I have later this afternoon.. YUK!

The one thing that I did want to say is .... 9 days and counting!!! Its now down to single digits. But, if I were to put my money on it I would say that they are going to start releasing decisions around Wednesday next week...at least that's what I'm hoping! Which means maybe Friday or Saturday for the west coasters and Monday/Tuesday the following week for me. Keep me posted. I'm counting on you guys!

Don't worry malla, we got you covered. (But if they decide to call you, technically speaking you will be the first to know, all the way out there in your pacific time zone ;) )

i'm also a 2nd year GMS (finishined this january). is bu your first choice? hows the app process going for you?

It's actually not my first choice...the financial cost at BU is pretty staggering. What about you?
I think GMS has helped out with the apps. I've had interviews but haven't received any responses yet. I hope I hear soon though. BU is probably going to be the first school I hear back from and I guess I sort of see it as an indicator of things to come. I mean, I should have an advantage at BU, and if I don't get accepted... that's probably not a good sign. :(

I'm trying to stay optimistic though. I'm so tempted to start bugging Dr. Traish about the acceptance notification date. :)

How about you? Has GMS been good to you?

It's actually not my first choice...the financial cost at BU is pretty staggering. What about you?
I think GMS has helped out with the apps. I've had interviews but haven't received any responses yet. I hope I hear soon though. BU is probably going to be the first school I hear back from and I guess I sort of see it as an indicator of things to come. I mean, I should have an advantage at BU, and if I don't get accepted... that's probably not a good sign. :(

I'm trying to stay optimistic though. I'm so tempted to start bugging Dr. Traish about the acceptance notification date. :)

How about you? Has GMS been good to you?

I think GMS has helped me a lot. I've had a couple interviews, and heard back with an acceptance so far so I'm really happy about that :). i'm pretty sure i would have had no hope w/o going through GMS. but it's a state school and out of state costs are higher than BU (if that's even possible :rolleyes: ). it'll be a different story if i change residency (i'm from california by the way). i'd love to go to BU though, not just for the city. last year was pretty tough for me adjusting (ie new place, new people, etc) and it'd be nice to not have to go through that "transition period" again. not just that, i'd be more than happy to be able to opt out of a few classes -->easier courseload for 1st year. but if BU doesn't work out, that's fine w/ me too. good luck!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm so tempted to start bugging Dr. Traish about the acceptance notification date. :)

hahah i was thinking about dropping an email to one of the other adcomms too. if you do ask Traish, lemme know!!! :)

Well guys, we are down to one week until March 30th, eight days until the end of the month.

And two amusing thingers from Uncle John's Bathroom Reader:
-It takes one can of hard cider to get a beaver drunk.
-According to Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog is left handed.

Admissions Haiku:

Mailboxes in spring
Open the envelope
Cherry blossoms fall.

Rejection again
A lone tear on my cheek
Let me in dammit

Another day, another post
- President Lyndon Johnson had an aunt named Frank. (Her parents wanted a son)
- There are enough calories in a Big Mac to run a vacuum cleaner for 98 minutes.

and my personal contribution to our little cultural train wreck:

Envelopes sitting,
Fat and thin on a table,
Which one will be mine?

Well guys, this week is about over, and next week is gonna be the big one. One way or another, we're almost done. . .

I'll cheer for not having to reapply, then I'll cry for my freaking debt

5 more business days.... I think it's safe to say nothing will happen on a weekend.

good luck everyone! i've been checking this thread just to cheer ya'll on!

I thought I wouldn't do this, but I'm slowly beginning to freak out and lose it. this waiting is nuts.

supertroopers.jpg

i had a dream (nightmare?) last night that someone on SDN heard back from BU with a big white envelope. i started freakin' out and then my computer crashes. :( i can't believe i dreamt about SDN!!! am i officially geekified? ugh :confused:

i had a dream (nightmare?) last night that someone on SDN heard back from BU with a big white envelope. i started freakin' out and then my computer crashes. :( i can't believe i dreamt about SDN!!! am i officially geekified? ugh :confused:

Don't feel bad sendwich, I had a similar "nightmare" a few days ago. I dreamt people were standing around me all patting each other on the back for their acceptances into my first choice med school: UMass Medical (they all got it together in a batch -even though I know UMass sends out individual notification one at a time). And then, there was me standing there with my rejection letter...

But then I woke up, and after a few seconds I realized it was only a dream and hadn't happened (not yet anyway). :)

Only a few more days and we'll hear from BU.
good luck everyone! :luck: and extra good luck to sendwich (fellow GMS-er) ! :luck: :luck:

Here we go, baby.

Yeah, I'm thinking the later half of the week. Ugh. I just subscribed for email notification for updates to this thread. . . I think I'm obsessing.

But yeah, g'luck everyone :luck:

So, if being in Boston is key for you, what do you like better about BU, as compared to TUFTS?

jesus christ its nearing the end of the business day!!!

Just called admissions today. They're hoping to send out their decisions by the end of the week. Hang in there everyone!

Good luck you guys!!! I am 80% sure I'll be at BU next year. With only one pending waitlist. Looking forward to being your classmate! :luck: :D :thumbup: