Burned out and demotivated:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kastalia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm having a bad day and just not sure I can handle the stress of a full time job + taking classes. For the first time I just don't think I can do this

I'm in my mid 30s and have a foreign bachelors and graduate degrees (MPH,PhD) from the US. I didn't have the courage to embark on this until I obtained a green card a year ago. Today I feel that it may be too late for me.

I have a demanding academic job and pursuing a second bachelors at Columbia GS (two classes per semester). I have classes until 8 pm four days/week this semester.14- 16 hr days...

I just don't know if I can handle the stress. I converted an elective to P/F last semester because I simply couldn't complete the work. I feel tremendous pressure to do well in my academic career while completing the pre-med /2nd bachelors and I want to have as little debt as possible given my age.

I would greatly appreciate some advice. I have planned this path for many years and don't want to give up. I am just falling apart right now. Should I take 1 class/semester until I feel better? Is quitting my full time job the "right thing" to do if I am serious about med school? I need about 50 more credits or about 3 more years with my current speed..

Thanks for reading...

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late at all. The only thing I can say is that medicine requires 100% commitment. Taking one class per semester really does not help you as it doesn't say much to your ability to handle the difficult course load that you will encounter in medical school.

From my experience I will tell you that there are many solutions to a given problem. You might be having a bad day today but give it time and you will figure out the solution on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @aformerstudent!

Maybe I am having a bad day and I hope I will feel better tomorrow but 3 more years of this just seems overwhelming right now.

How about 2 courses/semester (maybe no classes in the summer)? This really feels like the maximum I can do while working full time...

Also, I would need to borrow a substantial amount of money if I quit my job...I was thinking maybe I could do this for 2 semesters before applying...?

It's not too late at all. The only thing I can say is that medicine requires 100% commitment. Taking one class per semester really does not help you as it doesn't say much to your ability to handle the difficult course load that you will encounter in medical school.

From my experience I will tell you that there are many solutions to a given problem. You might be having a bad day today but give it time and you will figure out the solution on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to go to medical school, you must find a way to transition the full-time job into being a full-time medical student where you will not be able to work. I can't speak for any adcom but I do know that you would have to at least demonstrate that you can handle a full load of science coursework and do very well in those courses. Also the MCAT is very important if not more important than GPA because it shows test-taking ability and that is what medical school is all about.

Instead of taking a few courses at a time, maybe hold off for now and then see if you're work schedule becomes more flexible and then attempt an evening post-bacc program.

If you are a really strong student, I would really see if there was a way for you to somehow go to class full-time and get the pre-req's done sooner than later. But you would have to see if that is something that is feasible.

Thank you....

I agree with you but I just don't think that I can go back to school full time at the point. Columbia University is extremely expensive and my current job allows me to take the courses at a discounted rate which helps minimize the debt. This is a huge issue.

I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry and graduate degrees in epidemiology all with high GPAs so I can handle the coursework if I don't have a full time job. The problem is that I need to take a lot of additional coursework (e.g. English, writing etc.) that I never took during my first undergraduate degree. Many people on this forum agreed that in my situation (foreign bachelors) a 2nd undergrad would make sense. I just did't realize how hard this would be with my schedule:(

I guess I could quit the 2nd bachelors at GS and take the prereqs full time at CUNY (cheaper). I am just not ready to give up. When you said that I should "hold off for now", dis you mean just stop taking classes?

Thanks again...

If you really want to go to medical school, you must find a way to transition the full-time job into being a full-time medical student where you will not be able to work. I can't speak for any adcom but I do know that you would have to at least demonstrate that you can handle a full load of science coursework and do very well in those courses. Also the MCAT is very important if not more important than GPA because it shows test-taking ability and that is what medical school is all about.

Instead of taking a few courses at a time, maybe hold off for now and then see if you're work schedule becomes more flexible and then attempt an evening post-bacc program.

If you are a really strong student, I would really see if there was a way for you to somehow go to class full-time and get the pre-req's done sooner than later. But you would have to see if that is something that is feasible.

I know what you mean. I guess put all of this down on paper and figure out the pros and cons of each decision. When one path seems better than the others, take that and do it.

If you have to work then you have to work and there is nothing you can do about that. Just don't risk your grades if you feel that you can't give this 100% right now.

And I agree, don't give up.

I would sit yourself down and write out a number of scenarios that would allow you to focus more on your path to medicine.

It sounds like your job may simply be too demanding. Write out your reasons for staying in your position and see what you find.

Good luck!

Check out the "burned out and demotivated" thread by a medical student from 2007. There are a lot of good suggestions for demotivated people there.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you....

I agree with you but I just don't think that I can go back to school full time at the point. Columbia University is extremely expensive and my current job allows me to take the courses at a discounted rate which helps minimize the debt. This is a huge issue.

I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry and graduate degrees in epidemiology all with high GPAs so I can handle the coursework if I don't have a full time job. The problem is that I need to take a lot of additional coursework (e.g. English, writing etc.) that I never took during my first undergraduate degree. Many people on this forum agreed that in my situation (foreign bachelors) a 2nd undergrad would make sense. I just did't realize how hard this would be with my schedule:(

I guess I could quit the 2nd bachelors at GS and take the prereqs full time at CUNY (cheaper). I am just not ready to give up. When you said that I should "hold off for now", dis you mean just stop taking classes?

Thanks again...

Sorry missed this post. Yes that's what I meant. Like I stated before, the adcoms are not looking to see if you met requirements, they want to be sure you are going to make it through their program. Med school is not like undergrad. Even taking a full science courseload does not prepare you for medical school. If you are only able to take a few classes at a time, it's just best to not jeopardize your job or those classes by doing both. I don't know your situation but I would seriously tell you to find a way to go to school full time and excel in those courses for at least two terms. That plus a very good MCAT will open some doors. I just have a feeling that your job is going to get in the way of all of this. If you want medicine really bad, you really have to find a way to part with the job at some point and that point may not be right now for you.

I took the premed courses at GS, and I knew a few people who worked full-time while taking the postbac. It didn't seem to go very well for them, and I suggest that if you are taking the premed courses at Columbia you go all in by transitioning to part-time work. The truth is they're too difficult for most people to do well while working full-time. You can accrue less debt while working full-time, but that won't help you if the resulting grades are too poor to get accepted to medical school.

Thank you all fot the feedback! I feel better today and less overwhelmed.

I have considered my options and would like to try to keep my job for one more year because right now I am taking the classes for free as an employee benefit. Since I didn't do undergrad in the US I am missing all kinds of requirements such as English and Calculus and completing a second major anyway.

I will plan to quite in a year and complete 2 semesters full time.

Let's see if I survive.

Good luck! I worked in Academia and an academic career is very hard! From my experience, you are expected to give 150% effort all the time! Does your employer know you want to go to medical school some day?

Good luck! I worked in Academia and an academic career is very hard! From my experience, you are expected to give 150% effort all the time! Does your employer know you want to go to medical school some day?

Yes, terribly hard! Employer has no idea and I certainly wouldn't tell at this point.

I just can't believe that having an academic job and taking even a class or two at a time wouldn't be considered stressful enough by adcoms.

Was academia helpful in any way? Where are you in the process?

Yes, terribly hard! Employer has no idea and I certainly wouldn't tell at this point.

I just can't believe that having an academic job and taking even a class or two at a time wouldn't be considered stressful enough by adcoms.

It's best not to rely on adcoms making accommodations for things. When there's an oversupply of qualified candidates they don't need to. Endeavor to make yourself undeniable.

I have a PhD as well and have 2 years of post-graduation research experience under my belt. I was just accepted for class of 2021!

Having an academic background definitely helped me appeal to research oriented medical schools. I hope it will also help a lot when I am applying to residencies.

I found that my PI was very supportive when I said I wanted to go to medical school. I was less productive in my research when I was focusing on physician shadowing and in the midst of applying, so I felt like I had to tell my PI. Once I laid it all out on the table, I felt so much better.

Hey, I hear you. I am in the same boat. I work at CUMC, medical campus (not Morningside) full-time. I chose not to pursue my post-bacc work at Columbia due to price (already have debt from my first undergrad institution). Decided on a cheaper, in-state option where the classes are considerably less intense than Columbia but still fall within the realm of "rigorous, upper-level science classes." If I were you, I would consider that option. A lot of the other people in our boat I work with at CUMC chose to do their post-bacc work at Hunter in NYC. Something to consider.

In my situation, I just began my post-bacc last semester (graduated undergrad in 2013) starting with 2 classes. This semester taking 3 classes, then 2 classes this summer, and 4 classes in fall. I'm just as stressed as you are. PM me if you wanna talk more.