C Grades in Two Courses. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

East2West

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m sure this kind of stuff is posted all the time, but lately I’ve just had a lot of thoughts and anxiety running through my head and could use some clarity. I am 3 weeks into my sophomore year currently the University of San Francisco but my concern is with my freshman grades.

For my science courses freshman year:

Semester one

General Biology I: C

General chemistry: B-

Gen. Chem. Lab: A-

Semester two

General Biology II: A

General Chemistry II: C+

Gen. Chem. Lab: A

Biostatistics: B

Currently, I’m taking Organic Chemistry and Cell Physiology. Organic Chemistry has been extremely hard, but I’ve at least been doing above average but that still isn’t great. For example, on the last quiz the average was a 9.5/20 and I got a 12/20. My goal is to be to go to medical school and become an Emergency Medicine physician. So, is all hope lost? As of now, will my freshman grades hold me back? It truly is all quite heart breaking because I work so hard. I know every science majors works incredibly hard too, but last year I can’t even count on two hands how many times I would study through the night and not go to sleep until the next evening. I spend almost all of my free time studying, that’s not at all an exaggeration. I still try to spend time with my boyfriend and close friends when I can, usually at night right before bed, so it really isn’t a lot of time lost to socialization. I nanny for work, which is absolutely necessary because of the income. But, that also doesn’t impact my academics that strongly as it is only from 730am-9am during the weekdays (which id be sleeping if not working) and two evenings a week from 330pm-630pm. When I’m not in class, I’m studying. Also, it’s important to note that I have A.D.D. I was actually diagnosed in the very beginning of my freshman year and now take Adderal and get accommodations like 1.5x time on exams and a private room, but it still puts me at average. However, my diagnosis definitely did help as on my first general biology I exam I got a 42% and on the final I got a 81% (above the average) which saved my grade. I’ve revised my study methods over and over and I think I’ve found what best drills things into my brains, but maybe it isn’t the best method or maybe it’s just who I am. In regards to extracurriculars, I haven’t done any in college, besides scribing the summer before, since I am so busy with my academics. But, I have decided that If a good opportunity arises, I would make time, whether that means to stop working or something else. I don’t know what else to do. I am practically killing myself mentally and working tirelessly, but I just can’t win. It is what I really want and that’s why I do it. It’s not even the prestige of the medical career, I love medicine because I truly love helping people especially in their time of need and feel that I want to make sure that they get the best care physically and mentally. But, I also love what I’m currently learning too. I love learning biology, I think it’s amazing, and wouldn’t be opposed to a career in research, but it isn’t my top choice. I am just misguided, confused, and worried.

Overall, I guess I’m looking to see if my grades will hold me back from a career in medicine. I’d also love to hear any advice that can be offered. I am always open to suggestions. Thank you for letting me get this out. Again, I totally appreciate any help that can be given!

Members don't see this ad.

Two Cs won’t matter (even in prereqs) in the end if the rest of your app is competitive.

A bigger concern should be your gpa going forward. If you feel you are having trouble mainting good grades in your hard classes still it’s time to reevaluate how you study. There should be resources at your school to help you.

I echo what Paga FutureDoc said.

Also, although it's highly likely that you might end up changing which specialty you want to go into when you actually get into med school, I've seen that becoming a DO does NOT bar you from getting into EM residencies. This is by no means an excuse for you to slack off (which it doesn't seem like you're doing) but just wanted to reassure you that you're not out of the game yet.

Best of luck.

Hi, I’m sure this kind of stuff is posted all the time, but lately I’ve just had a lot of thoughts and anxiety running through my head and could use some clarity. I am 3 weeks into my sophomore year currently the University of San Francisco but my concern is with my freshman grades.

For my science courses freshman year:

Semester one

General Biology I: C

General chemistry: B-

Gen. Chem. Lab: A-

Semester two

General Biology II: A

General Chemistry II: C+

Gen. Chem. Lab: A

Biostatistics: B

Currently, I’m taking Organic Chemistry and Cell Physiology. Organic Chemistry has been extremely hard, but I’ve at least been doing above average but that still isn’t great. For example, on the last quiz the average was a 9.5/20 and I got a 12/20. My goal is to be to go to medical school and become an Emergency Medicine physician. So, is all hope lost? As of now, will my freshman grades hold me back? It truly is all quite heart breaking because I work so hard. I know every science majors works incredibly hard too, but last year I can’t even count on two hands how many times I would study through the night and not go to sleep until the next evening. I spend almost all of my free time studying, that’s not at all an exaggeration. I still try to spend time with my boyfriend and close friends when I can, usually at night right before bed, so it really isn’t a lot of time lost to socialization. I nanny for work, which is absolutely necessary because of the income. But, that also doesn’t impact my academics that strongly as it is only from 730am-9am during the weekdays (which id be sleeping if not working) and two evenings a week from 330pm-630pm. When I’m not in class, I’m studying. Also, it’s important to note that I have A.D.D. I was actually diagnosed in the very beginning of my freshman year and now take Adderal and get accommodations like 1.5x time on exams and a private room, but it still puts me at average. However, my diagnosis definitely did help as on my first general biology I exam I got a 42% and on the final I got a 81% (above the average) which saved my grade. I’ve revised my study methods over and over and I think I’ve found what best drills things into my brains, but maybe it isn’t the best method or maybe it’s just who I am. In regards to extracurriculars, I haven’t done any in college, besides scribing the summer before, since I am so busy with my academics. But, I have decided that If a good opportunity arises, I would make time, whether that means to stop working or something else. I don’t know what else to do. I am practically killing myself mentally and working tirelessly, but I just can’t win. It is what I really want and that’s why I do it. It’s not even the prestige of the medical career, I love medicine because I truly love helping people especially in their time of need and feel that I want to make sure that they get the best care physically and mentally. But, I also love what I’m currently learning too. I love learning biology, I think it’s amazing, and wouldn’t be opposed to a career in research, but it isn’t my top choice. I am just misguided, confused, and worried.

Overall, I guess I’m looking to see if my grades will hold me back from a career in medicine. I’d also love to hear any advice that can be offered. I am always open to suggestions. Thank you for letting me get this out. Again, I totally appreciate any help that can be given!
Trust me on this one. Keep going.