California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to the first class of 60! It's always scary starting at a new school. There are many unknowns to this place but we shall see how it turns out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently the inaugural class will have $2 million in "scholarships and other financial aid available." That's a good amount for a class of 60.

@SlayD yeah. Honestly I think those that end up here will be fine. Obviously won't be as good as established medical schools of course, but I think there will be more than enough people willing to look past those red flags and I don't think the school will lose accreditation or anything, but this is just my gut feeling and that means absolutely nothing lol

I'd like to know where that number is coming from. Especially considering they do not have federal financial aid available yet...

Those in charge of the school have a legal obligation to maximize shareholder value. If they don't (by doing things like granting scholarships to students) they could be sued by the investors. This is why you'll see this school have the highest tuition and secondary fee they can get away with under their accreditation, for example. Even if the faculty is full of lovely people, you have to realize that the administration is legally bound to screwing you over financially as much as possible.

So, corporations are legally oligated to screw people over?

Gee, I wonder which side of the political spectrum you fall under.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it'd be in their financial interest to get shoddy facilities and provide shoddy training. If they are a for profit school, I can't see why they won't try to boost their reputation by having excellent facilities, faculty, and well trained alumni.

The guy starting the school and leaving to start another school somewhere else is hilarious and is one of many reasons why I won't be applying to this school, for profit or not. Like if he couldn't be bothered to stick with it for a year, why should I bother to devote 4 years into it?

Does anyone know if it was required to send our official transcripts and MCAT scores in? I thought that in the FAQs section it stated that we don't need to send in official transcripts until we have been admitted? In the secondary application the only instructions were to send in LORS. I've been calling the school all week but no one has answered nor has anyone replied to my email. I wonder how many applications they've received so far.

You have to send in all of your supporting documents before they'll look at your app (official transcripts, MCAT, LoRs). I've been having the same problems with their admissions office though, they won't return my emails or calls. :grumpy:

Thank you for responding. I didn't send my transcripts so I will do that now. It's really annoying though that they're not answering their calls, like come on, if you're trying to fill a class in 2 months you should have someone there answering calls. I will probably just stop by the school.
You have to send in all of your supporting documents before they'll look at your app (official transcripts, MCAT, LoRs). I've been having the same problems with their admissions office though, they won't return my emails or calls. :grumpy:

How fast after you submit the primary app do they send you the secondary?
Do you need to send in your transcript, MCAT, LoR before you get a secondary?

Oop! I should have clarified: I don't doubt your source; I doubt their claim!
Haha no worries even if you did, you can't trust everything on the interwebz without proper sources lol.
I remember Hofstra giving their first class full rides and they attracted really impressive students I believe so maybe they're trying to do something similar by having $2million for their first class to make their school more appealing? Idk, but in any case, it probably took Hofstra a little longer than 2-3 months lol.

I sent the primary right when they got accreditation. Then a few days later I got an email saying that based on my academic criteria I have been selected for a secondary. We had like 4 days to submit it. The deadline was Monday for us so I'm assuming it'll be different for those who apply now. Also according to the email that contained the secondary app stuff it only said to send in the LORs. In their FAQ section it says "Do I need to send my transcripts to Admissions when I apply?
No. Applicants must submit all transcripts to AMCAS while in the application stage. Once admitted to the College, matriculating students will be required to submit official transcripts through AMCAS from all institutions attended with degree confirmation. Once again, this is only required after a student is accepted. " So I assumed for the Fall 2015 we didn't need to submit transcripts until matriculated which is why I haven't sent them yet. Also the secondary app has you fill out your grades and stuff for all the pre reqs and recommended classes.

I sent the primary right when they got accreditation. Then a few days later I got an email saying that based on my academic criteria I have been selected for a secondary. We had like 4 days to submit it. The deadline was Monday for us so I'm assuming it'll be different for those who apply now. Also according to the email that contained the secondary app stuff it only said to send in the LORs. In their FAQ section it says "Do I need to send my transcripts to Admissions when I apply?
No. Applicants must submit all transcripts to AMCAS while in the application stage. Once admitted to the College, matriculating students will be required to submit official transcripts through AMCAS from all institutions attended with degree confirmation. Once again, this is only required after a student is accepted. " So I assumed for the Fall 2015 we didn't need to submit transcripts until matriculated which is why I haven't sent them yet.
Thanks for the info! Do you mind sharing your stats? (you can PM me if you're more comfortable that way) I sent in my primary a week ago and havent heard back. I should just be patient

No. Applicants must submit all transcripts to AMCAS while in the application stage. Once admitted to the College, matriculating students will be required to submit official transcripts through AMCAS from all institutions attended with degree confirmation. Once again, this is only required after a student is accepted. " So I assumed for the Fall 2015 we didn't need to submit transcripts until matriculated which is why I haven't sent them yet. Also the secondary app has you fill out your grades and stuff for all the pre reqs and recommended classes.
Did you receive an email from them after submitting the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. My friend applied with me and neither of us got email confirmations but I screenshotted the page that said thank you for submitting the secondary. I think we just have to wait it out now
Did you receive an email from them after submitting the secondary?

No. My friend applied with me and neither of us got email confirmations but I screenshotted the page that said thank you for submitting the secondary. I think we just have to wait it out now
I also screenshotted it haha. I agree and thanks for replying.

I sure hope the med school that want to start Colton get accredited and open in 2 years from now when I complete my pre-reqs since its like 15 minutes away from my house!

NOPE.. fill out the primary and they will send you the secondary the next day. They do not say this on the webpage, but this is what actually happens.

Apparently the inaugural class will have $2 million in "scholarships and other financial aid available." That's a good amount for a class of 60.

@SlayD yeah. Honestly I think those that end up here will be fine. Obviously won't be as good as established medical schools of course, but I think there will be more than enough people willing to look past those red flags and I don't think the school will lose accreditation or anything, but this is just my gut feeling and that means absolutely nothing lol

Do we know if it's 2 mil per year or per 4 years? Huge difference.

I have a desperate friend applying. He said first interview day is July 7. He got it before he even submitted LORs (which is sketchy to me).

Reactions: 1 users
I have a desperate friend applying. He said first interview day is July 7. He got it before he even submitted LORs (which is sketchy to me).
Ahhh! They are sending interview invites already, I need to hurry with my application then!
If you don't mind me asking, is your friend from CA? I'm wondering if they'll have an instate preference. Also how strong are your friends stats? I imagine if they are really good, interviewing before LoRs isnt the worst thing.

frabz-extremely-jealous-afa5b2.jpg

By "it" you mean secondaries. Not interview invite.

By "it" you mean secondaries. Not interview invite.

I was thinking this too. Did he get an II, or just the secondary?

First interview day is said to be July 7th on their timeline, but they also said secondaries would be given out on July 1st, which they weren't.

Last edited:
I was thinking this too. Did he get an II, or just the secondary?

First interview day is said to be July 7th on their timeline, but they also said secondaries would be given out on July 1st, which they weren't.

They are giving out interview invites and it does appear that the first day is July 7th.

I don't want to post too much since he is a really early applicant. He showed his email, its an II not secondary. He's in state BTW.

Info + secondary submitted before June 20th.

Hah good point! I was thinking per year, but it's not explicitly stated that way so who knows.
From the brochure:
The inaugural class will have $2 million in scholarships and other financial aid available.
If I wrote the sentence, I would mean it to imply that it is for the first year, but it is not clear.

From the brochure:

If I wrote the sentence, I would mean it to imply that it is for the first year, but it is not clear.

This is the difference between nearly free tuition and a nominal discount....

I don't want to post too much since he is a really early applicant. He showed his email, its an II not secondary. He's in state BTW.

Info + secondary submitted before June 20th.
Congrats to your friend, and thanks for sharing!
I fear that they will be very instate friendly, but CA has a bunch of uber qualified applicants that unfairly don't get in anywhere so I ain't mad lol

"friend" hmm? Of course.

Haha only kidding! I imagine they have to get things going if they want to fill up that first class by September!

From the brochure:

I initially thought that too, and I am sure it will be just for the first year, otherwise whats the point in even advertising that, unless they were hoping to trick some folks haha. I guess since they're for-profit "they're evil like that" lol

Just got an interview for the July 7 date. Anyone else? My secondary was submitted on Friday though I doubt they received my LORs yet.

Just got an interview for the July 7 date. Anyone else? My secondary was submitted on Friday though I doubt they received my LORs yet.

I'll be there on the 7th as well. I submitted on the 19th. It will be interesting to see what style of interview they are going to go with.

Do those who received interview invites mind sharing stats or LizzyM scores? Just wondering how competitive the applicant pool is?

Congrats to all those who got interviews. How are you gunners sending your MCAT scores to CNUCOM?
I emailed them my official scorecard with the verification link but their enterprise server might be broken since no one has gotten a reply from them lol. Should I print out the scorecard and mail it?

:oops: my face reading this thread

But seriously, everyone applying, are you planning on paying cash/private loans? Private school loans are really really hard to get approved for. But lets say you pay cash/have a worthy cosigner, what would happen then if their accreditation falls through?

My LizzyM score is 65. It was enough to get me interviews but no acceptances last year. Applying to mostly DOs this year.

DrDreaming,

If I get accepted my plans may just end up dead in the water anyway because of the loan situation. Can't pay cash and may not be able to get private loans. Considering withdrawing my interview invitation and crossing my fingers the option stays on the table with my AMCAS 2016 which is already paid for and verified. The risk is real I believe, in reading the history of the development of the College of Medicine and their pharmacy school.

:oops: my face reading this thread

But seriously, everyone applying, are you planning on paying cash/private loans? Private school loans are really really hard to get approved for. But lets say you pay cash/have a worthy cosigner, what would happen then if their accreditation falls through?

Man, they are asking a lot of their first class. My parent's credit is mediocre, they couldn't even cosign for one of my UG loans, which was significantly smaller than the COA for med school. I'd imagine that at some point, they will admit a student who would be in a similar situation. I hope it works out for all involved, but the biggest risk about this school to me is the lack of access to federally sponsored loans.

Man, they are asking a lot of their first class. My parent's credit is mediocre, they couldn't even cosign for one of my UG loans, which was significantly smaller than the COA for med school. I'd imagine that at some point, they will admit a student who would be in a similar situation. I hope it works out for all involved, but the biggest risk about this school to me is the lack of access to federally sponsored loans.

This is a big hurdle. I think their first class is going to be a very unique make up, I suspect it will end up being a very California heavy class with a good number of reapplicant students and most of them will be middle class or above due to the loan situation.

This is a big hurdle. I think their first class is going to be a very unique make up, I suspect it will end up being a very California heavy class with a good number of reapplicant students and most of them will be middle class or above due to the loan situation.

Desperate wealthy Californians with bad grades. I don't think anyone expected otherwise.

Middle class is wealthy now? Man how times change.

Relative to the whole nation, middle class gross income in California is wealthy. In the more expensive parts, I'd say household income of 200k is considered upper-middle class.

I don't think it'd be in their financial interest to get shoddy facilities and provide shoddy training. If they are a for profit school, I can't see why they won't try to boost their reputation by having excellent facilities, faculty, and well trained alumni.

The guy starting the school and leaving to start another school somewhere else is hilarious and is one of many reasons why I won't be applying to this school, for profit or not. Like if he couldn't be bothered to stick with it for a year, why should I bother to devote 4 years into it?
doesn't matter. you could literally match one person out of a class of 60 and still have people battering down the doors to fulfill their ill-conceived dreams of practicing medicine.

What happens if you are accepted ONLY for Northstate and are unable to secure financing? Have you then screwed yourself for all future cycles by turning down a MD acceptance? @Goro , @gyngyn , @LizzyM

Reactions: 1 users
Then you're not going to CNU, unless your credit card line is whatever they're charging for tuition.

While it probably won't be lethal, I think that you'd get dinged for not thinking this one through. We do expect people to look before they leap.

What happens if you are accepted ONLY for Northstate and are unable to secure financing? Have you then screwed yourself for all future cycles by turning down a MD acceptance? @Goro , @gyngyn , @LizzyM

This isn't directed towards you specifically but the post provided the impetus -

As a PSA, don't flag the known faculty unless you have really really good reason to. By and large, you probably don't. The batsignal is not a toy my friends.