California Northstate gains Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to correct that
I had to be the nice guy. At least this once. (They don't know it's really 1787 characters, so they'll spend ALL this time preparing only to learn they need to delete some. Muahahah)

What will happen to CNUCOM students if it loses LMCE accreditation or closes? How easy or hard would it be for those students to find spots at another medical schools?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would literally go to any U.S. MD/DO over this school (even rocky vista). You guys who are applying are taking a terrible risk just slightly above going to carribean IMO.

What will happen to CNUCOM students if it loses LMCE accreditation or closes? How easy or hard would it be for those students to find spots at another medical schools?
As far as I know no school in history has ever had accreditation revoked. However if this was the first to have that happen (which it appears SDN is overwhelmingly convinced will happen), I have no idea after that.

I'm obviously not very informed about the differences between a for profit medical school and one that is a not for profit medical school.

What are the pros and cons of each besides the obvious "for profit vs not for profit"

Check this article out http://www.franklin.edu/blog/non-profit-vs-for-profit-colleges-what-you-need-to-know/

but basically non-profit schools main focus is for their students and the education they get. The money that comes back in from donations, or the cost of tuition is applied to making the campus better for their students. For profit institutions are fundamentally businesses, and their number 1 priority is making a money.

This definitely affects the education and retention rates- when we look at US MD/DO schools, graduations rates are extremely high- all schools are 90% or higher. It is rare to drop out or get kicked out of medical school, and all med schools do a really good job doing everything they can to work with their students to keep them enrolled if unexpected situations arise. I think this is part of why the med school application process is such a mystery- schools work really hard to pick their students for such a limited number of spots, and they will do anything to see you finish. On the other hand graduation rates of Caribbean medical schools are extremely low. They don't publish the exact numbers, however I have a few friends who have gone that route, and they said that 1/2 of each class drops out before even taking step 1, and that even more students drop out after step 1. With a starting class size of 700 people, I can't imagine that they take the time to work with each student if they are struggling in any way.

Whether or not this is solely because it is for profit school, or it's the curriculum or something else, I don't think anyone can truly know, but still this should be a huge red flag....

On a side note: As an applicant that applied multiple times, I look at this first for-profit medical school in California (and first MD in the US) and see it as a company that is doing their best to take advantage of California re-applicants. They know how painful and how much anguish re-applying causes, and it makes me sick to my stomach that they are taking advantage of desperate reapplicants. I just hope if someone chooses this route, they know what they are getting themselves into and the struggles that they could face matching and the financial burden that they will be taking on without having any federal loans available :/

Reactions: 4 users
I believe their decision to pursue a full 2015 entering class speaks volumes about what their motivations are. You, your future, and your education seem to be a distance after-thought. Those considering this school should also consider their intentions suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
what the.... their admissions timeline is .... interesting......

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/students-com/admissions/admissions-timeline

Interview invites begins 6 days after secondaries open??

Their FAQ is also ... interesting...:

"How many applications do you receive, interviews do you grant, and applicants do you accept in an average year?
We typically receive more than 1000 applications a year, grant approximately 300 interviews, and offer acceptances to seat a class of 60.

Do you give preference to any major?
No. We do not give preference to any major. However, most of our applicants are science majors. The most common majors are biology, chemistry, biochemistry, psychobiology, etc.

Where am I on the wait list?
Since the wait list changes constantly, sometimes on a daily basis, we do not designate specific numbers. Additionally, it is difficult to anticipate how many wait list applicants will be called to fill the class for a specific year. Because of this reason, we cannot tell a candidate they will, or will not be called off the list, nor can we estimate when. Based on past experience, we can only state our wait list applicants may be notified at any time during the admission cycle. "

You don't even have any applicants yet!
the quality of their writing just doesn't seem polished. welcoem to the walmart model of healthcare coming to a medical school near you

Reactions: 1 user
the quality of their writing just doesn't seem polished. welcoem to the walmart model of healthcare coming to a medical school near you

LOL "welcoem" in a post about writing quality.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like the Carribean schools are discovering ways to move away from the Carribean. They probably saw all the warning posts on SDN. I would thread carefully... Sounds way too good to be true.

I asked for a fee waiver and offered a 2014 tax return/copy of AACOMAS eligibility and no response. Will not submit the secondary unless they grant one. If they are a business they can give students a $100 break because we will be bringing them 50k a year + prestige (if we are good academically but short on cash at the time of application).

I asked for a fee waiver and offered a 2014 tax return/copy of AACOMAS eligibility and no response. Will not submit the secondary unless they grant one. If they are a business they can give students a $100 break because we will be bringing them 50k a year + prestige (if we are good academically but short on cash at the time of application).

You're prepared to pay $50k a year without federal loan assistance.. but you won't pay $100 for an application fee. Just think about that for a second..

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL "welcoem" in a post about writing quality.
. . . Sarcasm doesn't work with you sometimes huh?
Edit: Or I assumed he did it to be sarcastic, but of course, he's banned so I could be wrong.

You're prepared to pay $50k a year without federal loan assistance.. but you won't pay $100 for an application fee. Just think about that for a second..
Woah, no federal loan assistance? (Sorry...late to the game on this thread :D)

Woah, no federal loan assistance? (Sorry...late to the game on this thread :D)
Yes sir. Can't get it until they've graduated their first class, I didn't realize it until this discussion but that's for all medical schools. Sucks for all new schools.

I have stepped into another dimension.

Tl;dr, off the wall conspiracy theory cutesy of rewatching Bourne trilogy.

I suppose we can trust in the LCME for a bit at least. Hopefully it will work out.

Last edited:
Yes sir. Can't get it until they've graduated their first class, I didn't realize it until this discussion but that's for all medical schools. Sucks for all new schools.
Wow what a bummer, but interesting to know that's not because they are a 'for-profit' school.

Maybe someone can answer this, but some of the carib schools are sponsored by these horrible college scams stateside. Like DeVry owns some schools out in the Carib. Are these the same companies that are running this new college?

I mean it seems a bit dubious, but I'd probably apply there much before applying to a carib school.

that's not quite true. You can get federal loans when schools reach the provisional accreditation which can happen before the first class graduates

. . . Sarcasm doesn't work with you sometimes huh?
Edit: Or I assumed he did it to be sarcastic, but of course, he's banned so I could be wrong.

They've graduate a pharmacy class, but still no federal loans even for them!

Can someone post the prompts for the secondary?

For those that received a secondary:
-Did you submit all official transcripts and letter of recs. before receiving a secondary?

Has this ever happened before with other new schools, where they get accredited right around the start of the fall semester, so they have to try and fill a class in less than 2 months?

For those that received a secondary:
-Did you submit all official transcripts and letter of recs. before receiving a secondary?

It seems like they're sending out secondaries based on self-reported stats. I mailed my transcripts, LoRs and MCAT score card last Thursday and got the secondary invite today so I think CNUCOM will verify your app after getting all the fees and supporting documents.

Did anyone receive a confirmation email or anything after submitting the secondary?

Here are the secondary questions. Let me know if posting these is against the rules.

1. If you were enrolled in less than 12 units/credits for more than 4 semesters/6 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation (250 word limit)

2. Please explain why you want to become a physician. Provide any experiences you had that have led you to this pursuit. (250 word limit)*

3. In the current state of medical care, teamwork is critical for success. Please explain your understanding of what teamwork is; and identify your experiences of teamwork. (250 word limit).

4. In the medical profession you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues and patients from varying cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. Please explain how diversity has played a role in your life and education, and how would you apply this to your profession? (250 word limit).

5. Summarize information that may provide the Admissions Committee with a deeper understanding of your personal strengths and/or accomplishments not previously reflected in your AMCAS application. (250 word limit)

Also, you have to click a box that says you've read a LCME Disclaimer about CNUCOM's accreditation...

Here are the secondary questions. Let me know if posting these is against the rules.

Also, you have to click a box that says you've read a LCME Disclaimer about CNUCOM's accreditation...

Number 2 is pretty much saying they don't want to bother looking at your personal statement and fish out the thesis, right? >_>

Reactions: 3 users
Here's my question: do they have anything set up with other schools for their students if they fail? I know some newer DO schools at a medical school fair I talked to who hadn't received full accreditation had a back up plan and agreement with other DO schools so that if they fail their students who are in good standing will continue their education.

If this accreditation fails are their students SOL? Do they have to start back at square one?

Here's my question: do they have anything set up with other schools for their students if they fail? I know some newer DO schools at a medical school fair I talked to who hadn't received full accreditation had a back up plan and agreement with other DO schools so that if they fail their students who are in good standing will continue their education.

If this accreditation fails are their students SOL? Do they have to start back at square one?
Has a school's accreditation ever failed?

I think people have issues with this being a for-profit school, but honestly, there's not much that tells us it will fail. It's a gamble, still, but nothing that should hinder people from applying. The federal loan thing is just what would bother me the most.

Has a school's accreditation ever failed?

I think people have issues with this being a for-profit school, but honestly, there's not much that tells us it will fail. It's a gamble, still, but nothing that should hinder people from applying. The federal loan thing is just what would bother me the most.
Not that I know of. But it could happen. I don't mean this one will or this ones the devil, it would just be a worry for me going to any new school that mine could be the first to fail, so I wondered if they had any systems in place to help students in those situations.

Does anyone know if it was required to send our official transcripts and MCAT scores in? I thought that in the FAQs section it stated that we don't need to send in official transcripts until we have been admitted? In the secondary application the only instructions were to send in LORS. I've been calling the school all week but no one has answered nor has anyone replied to my email. I wonder how many applications they've received so far.

Granting a fee waiver could break their fiduciary duty to their investors. Secondary fees are a big money maker! I hope all the applicants in this thread fully understand the implications of the for-profit status and realize that it's actually illegal for this school to not try and squeeze its students for everything they are worth.

Granting a fee waiver could break their fiduciary duty to their investors. Secondary fees are a big money maker! I hope all the applicants in this thread fully understand the implications of the for-profit status and realize that it's actually illegal for this school to not try and squeeze its students for everything they are worth.
Care to explain/expand?
I guess I'm on the fence regarding this school. I do see the for-profit status as a big red flag, but then I begin to think, if it is a business, I think they would have enough sense to think long term and realize that they need to operate at very high standards (and provide opportunities for students and make sure they are successful for example) to stay accredited, right? Opening a medical school requires a lot of investment I imagine, so it'll be interesting how they balance generating the most money (which is seems most people here are claiming is their #1 priority) and investing in their students' and ensuring their success.
I think it'll certainly be a gamble, it'll be interesting for sure.
Now i have to figure out if it's worth $125 for apps (as an OOS student) lol

Care to explain/expand?
I guess I'm on the fence regarding this school. I do see the for-profit status as a big red flag, but then I begin to think, if it is a business, I think they would have enough sense to think long term and realize that they need to operate at very high standards (and provide opportunities for students and make sure they are successful for example) to stay accredited, right? Opening a medical school requires a lot of investment I imagine, so it'll be interesting how they balance generating the most money (which is seems most people here are claiming is their #1 priority) and investing in their students' and ensuring their success.

All they need to do is honor the bare minimum for accreditation. There would be no impetus for them to "operate at very high standards" when those standards would potentially cut into the Board members' take-home. Being for-profit, they will run the institution with a minimum amount of overhead, pay the least amount of salary to their faculty, and will likely make the students pay out-of-pocket for extras (i.e., don't think for a moment that you'll be offered a technology stipend to upgrade that out-dated laptop, or that they will hand over a Doctors in Training package for board exams).

I'd like to support the concerns of other SDNers by saying that their rush to enroll a full class, for a Fall 2015 start, smacks of greed; the inaugural class will likely be victim to holes in the curriculum and shoddy/non-existent administrative support. All brand new medical schools are fraught with some amount of disorganization -- just imagine how chaotic it could be when the senior leadership's only interest is a profit margin...

All they need to do is honor the bare minimum for accreditation. There would be no impetus for them to "operate at very high standards" when those standards would potentially cut into the Board members' take-home. Being for-profit, they will run the institution with a minimum amount of overhead, pay the least amount of salary to their faculty, and will likely make the students pay out-of-pocket for extras (i.e., don't think for a moment that you'll be offered a technology stipend to upgrade that out-dated laptop, or that they will hand over a Doctors in Training package for board exams).

I'd like to support the concerns of other SDNers by saying that their rush to enroll a full class, for a Fall 2015 start, smacks of greed; the inaugural class will likely be victim to holes in the curriculum and shoddy/non-existent administrative support. All brand new medical schools are fraught with some amount of disorganization -- just imagine how chaotic it could be when the leadership's only interest is a profit margin...
Ahhhh okay, I see. I guess the fact that medical school admissions is so competitive, especially in California, they can probably fill the first class (and subsequent classes) quite easily I would imagine. And because people will be willing to go there regardless of their for-profit status, they can get away with just the bare minimum for accreditation.

I think I'll save me the $125 bucks and buy myself something nice lol, I'm applying this year (1st time) and just really don't want to wait another year so this intrigued me.

Are people actually applying for this fall? o_O

Care to explain/expand?

Those in charge of the school have a legal obligation to maximize shareholder value. If they don't (by doing things like granting scholarships to students) they could be sued by the investors. This is why you'll see this school have the highest tuition and secondary fee they can get away with under their accreditation, for example. Even if the faculty is full of lovely people, you have to realize that the administration is legally bound to screwing you over financially as much as possible.

Those in charge of the school have a legal obligation to maximize shareholder value. If they don't (by doing things like granting scholarships to students) they could be sued by the investors. This is why you'll see this school have the highest tuition and secondary fee they can get away with under their accreditation, for example. Even if the faculty is full of lovely people, you have to realize that the administration is legally bound to screwing you over financially as much as possible.

Rocky Vista is not like this. Explain.

I get the "F the system" thing and all, but seriously we are all adults here...

Are people actually applying for this fall? o_O
I was thinking about it, but I guess this thread really scared me away from applying haha.

I probably will apply for the 2016 cycle (via AMCAS) however. I'm not from Cali though so idk what my chances would be anyways.

I was thinking about it, but I guess this thread really scared me away from applying haha.

I probably will apply for the 2016 cycle (via AMCAS) however. I'm not from Cali though so idk what my chances would be anyways.
As someone who only got into DO this cycle, not gonna lie it intrigued me as well. but nope too many red flags in my opinion. at least right now

Apparently the inaugural class will have $2 million in "scholarships and other financial aid available." That's a good amount for a class of 60.

@SlayD yeah. Honestly I think those that end up here will be fine. Obviously won't be as good as established medical schools of course, but I think there will be more than enough people willing to look past those red flags and I don't think the school will lose accreditation or anything, but this is just my gut feeling and that means absolutely nothing lol