Can a DO become a MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, incidentally, I have a fellow resident who graduated from DO school, then went offshore for a year or so and he officially is MD, DO.

I've jokingly said that I'll just talk the school in Nepal that I'm going to be teaching at next summer into granting me their MD if I have to attend a DO program here (think of it as 'doctoral transfer credits'), just so I can have the MD title after my name and can practice as a doc over there when I go back. :thumbup:

Note: sarcasm

ok thank you for your further clarifications guys. I appreciate your inputs. good luck with everything

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read a bunch of stuff on WebMD.com

Im Photoshopping my diploma right now

"JPHazelton, D.O., M.D."

I just have this question and I dont know if its true. My mom's friend is a DO and She decided to take the USMLE Step 1,2, and 3 for some odd reason. After she passed all three, she said that she can put the MD title beside her name. I dont want anyone to get mad about the word "title." I think she did this b/c she wants to work as a CEO for a Medical Center or something for a Pharmaceutical Company. Does anyone know if this is true, because I didnt believe it initially. Thanks.

If this was true then anyone could take the Comlex or the USLME and then say they are a DO or a MD I think there are laws and rules to this. The License you get would not say MD since the state Boards require documentation, When you graduate from Nursing school you are not an RN until you pass and are Licensed.

Same true here there are titles and then there are Legal titles and MD is considered a legal title this person can never posses until they go to a MD school, until then it is DO.

If this was true then anyone could take the Comlex or the USLME and then say they are a DO or a MD I think there are laws and rules to this. The License you get would not say MD since the state Boards require documentation, When you graduate from Nursing school you are not an RN until you pass and are Licensed.

Same true here there are titles and then there are Legal titles and MD is considered a legal title this person can never posses until they go to a MD school, until then it is DO.

OLDPRO it's wagdog1!

Found something interesting from the website posted previously; here's the link http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/four/resdt/overview.htm for reference.

"Once accepted into our medical program, the credits on clinical work (core & electives) done during the fourth year or residency program at an osteopathic medical school are accepted towards the fulfillment of our Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree. The reason why the credits are totally acceptable is because the clinicals would be done while in enrollment at our medical school and concurrently with the objectives of our medical program. However, if an individual has completed his/her fourth year or residency program at osteopathic medical school, the clinical credits earned under such situation would not be accepted towards the fulfillment of our Doctor of Medicine degree."

Notice, where I bolded! So it looks like if anyone is interested in doing this program, you need to do it during your 4th year or during residency. If you wait till after you complete residency, it looks like they would not count your clinical credits.

This may be a possibility in the future for me, especially since I want to have my own private practice in cosmetics. I would probably display both sets of initials then and would always be proud of osteopathic training and explain to any patient who asks what it is; however, having the M.D. title may bring in more clients. Hey, at least I'm honest.

*edit* I forgot to mention, it would be nice to fully leave your options open for practicing abroad as well. I know alot of places give D.O.'s full rights, but M.D.'s still have more countries where they can practice.

Found something interesting from the website posted previously; here's the link http://www.uhsa.ag/pstudent/four/resdt/overview.htm for reference.

"Once accepted into our medical program, the credits on clinical work (core & electives) done during the fourth year or residency program at an osteopathic medical school are accepted towards the fulfillment of our Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree. The reason why the credits are totally acceptable is because the clinicals would be done while in enrollment at our medical school and concurrently with the objectives of our medical program. However, if an individual has completed his/her fourth year or residency program at osteopathic medical school, the clinical credits earned under such situation would not be accepted towards the fulfillment of our Doctor of Medicine degree."

Notice, where I bolded! So it looks like if anyone is interested in doing this program, you need to do it during your 4th year or during residency. If you wait till after you complete residency, it looks like they would not count your clinical credits.

This may be a possibility in the future for me, especially since I want to have my own private practice in cosmetics. I would probably display both sets of initials then and would always be proud of osteopathic training and explain to any patient who asks what it is; however, having the M.D. title may bring in more clients. Hey, at least I'm honest.

*edit* I forgot to mention, it would be nice to fully leave your options open for practicing abroad as well. I know alot of places give D.O.'s full rights, but M.D.'s still have more countries where they can practice.

To each his own.

So let me get this straight (I just want to make sure I understand this; I"m not questioning your reasons to do it) for this program:
1. you apply
2. get accepted
3. pay the tuition
4. do the same thing you would normally do as a 4th year/resident
5. complete some "online lecture presentation"
6. receive your md?

results: 20k$ for a md degree

Is that right or am I missing something here?

So let me get this straight (I just want to make sure I understand this; I"m not questioning your reasons to do it) for this program:
1. you apply
2. get accepted
3. pay the tuition
4. do the same thing you would normally do as a 4th year/resident
5. complete some "online lecture presentation"
6. receive your md?

results: 20k$ for a md degree

Is that right or am I missing something here?

I think you're pretty much spot on. It is essentially "buying" an MD. Shady? Yes. Potentially beneficial? No idea. I would say contact some DO plastic sugeons (In PlasticMan's case) and find out if their degree has held them back or prevented them from developing a large client base. My initial guess is no, since plastic surgery (the boob job type) success is more based on referrals and reputation. If you're a kick ass plastics guy, then people will know and clients will come. If you don't do a good boob job, then you'll probably still get some business, but definitely not the big time where you can charge an arm and a leg.

I think you're pretty much spot on. It is essentially "buying" an MD. Shady? Yes. Potentially beneficial? No idea. I would say contact some DO plastic sugeons (In PlasticMan's case) and find out if their degree has held them back or prevented them from developing a large client base. My initial guess is no, since plastic surgery (the boob job type) success is more based on referrals and reputation. If you're a kick ass plastics guy, then people will know and clients will come. If you don't do a good boob job, then you'll probably still get some business, but definitely not the big time where you can charge an arm and a leg.
I'm in touch with several DO plastic surgeon's and they seem to be doing quite well. I'm in no way dead set on acquiring an MD in addition to the DO I'm currently earning, but it is a potential option. It is most likely unnecessary in most cases; however, it IS an option open to DO's who think it would give them an edge in some way or want to practice in a country where DO's have not been given privileges. Whether people on SDN like it or not, it is an option and some of us will reconsider it during 3rd year.

I'm in touch with several DO plastic surgeon's and they seem to be doing quite well. I'm in no way dead set on acquiring an MD in addition to the DO I'm currently earning, but it is a potential option. It is most likely unnecessary in most cases; however, it IS an option open to DO's who think it would give them an edge in some way or want to practice in a country where DO's have not been given privileges. Whether people on SDN like it or not, it is an option and some of us will reconsider it during 3rd year.

Like I said, to each his own. That doesn't negate the fact that the whole program is shady. I hope you're not trying to defend that aspect.
I'm certain people will go this route, but I personally think that this program is taking advantage of the insecurities of some DO medical students (who haven't even spent a day in the real world as an official doctor).

OLDPRO it's wagdog1!
Hi Wardog 1, I hope what I'm saying isn't seen as a negative, I think DO's worried about using MD and then not properly going through the right steps to get it as a negative.

I just want to point out this and that if anything ever goes wrong and the press finds out you only took the USLME but never went to Medical school but Osteopathic do you think they will not make a stink out of this? We do not live in a Factual world, the facts are what people believe like a president who put a joint to his lips and smoke into his oral cavity BUT DIDN"T INHALE, people still believe this foolishness. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

So go through all the Hard work at a DO school to gamble that this will be accepted and legal later? Am I reading this right? If so unhappy why not Allopath in the first place? Caribbean legit schools like SGU?

You are really playing with this I think.:confused:

Also, why a DO would take the USMLE step III is odd. The step III is granted during or after internship (part of residency) and after the entitlement of the degree. For a DO, the USMLE is NOT NECESSARY for licensure, only the COMLEX. Regardless of the type of residency you are in MD or DO, you must take the final step that awards licensure.

DOs take step I and II of the USMLE to gain better placement in residencies.

The ONLY reason she may have taken the stepIII is possible fellowship placement...but no fellowship weights the step III with any significance.

As I understand it if you want to practice in LA then you will need USMLE steps 1-3 as LA still does not recognize COMLEX and does not offer reciprocity for DOs with licenses in other states.

As I understand it if you want to practice in LA then you will need USMLE steps 1-3 as LA still does not recognize COMLEX and does not offer reciprocity for DOs with licenses in other states.

LA does recognize the COMLEX. It was the last state to do so, but it does. Thats what I was told at least.

So go through all the Hard work at a DO school to gamble that this will be accepted and legal later? Am I reading this right? If so unhappy why not Allopath in the first place? Caribbean legit schools like SGU?

You are really playing with this I think.:confused:
I will look into it third year and see if it would be worth doing during 4th year. It may not be worth it at all. It's still just something to consider. Most likely, I won't bother spending the $20k to get the letters. I'm happy at the school I'm at. I went where I was accepted; if I had been accepted allopath, I most likely would have gone there. Many of my DO student friends at school would have done the same, simply b/c it's easier to specialize, more funding for research,etc.

The sooner people realize that as far as clinical medicine goes DO = MD, the better off we'll all be. They should just merge all the schools in this country and offer electives in manipulation if people want to take it. Yeesh.

You don't need to know the structure of some bizarre loop on a serine protease inhibitor to be an effective physician. Conversely, you don't need to know the principles of manipulation to be a good, caring "whole person" physician, either.

The sooner people realize that as far as clinical medicine goes DO = MD, the better off we'll all be. They should just merge all the schools in this country and offer electives in manipulation if people want to take it. Yeesh.

You don't need to know the structure of some bizarre loop on a serine protease inhibitor to be an effective physician. Conversely, you don't need to know the principles of manipulation to be a good, caring "whole person" physician, either.
YES I agree with you, I'm just pointing out until then there are problems with Saying you are an MD without going to a MD school, Lay people do not understand, these same people make the laws and they will prosecute you even though there is no difference those of us in the Medical field do know and understand these others do not.

I do not agree with all the road blocks set up for DO's as much as I do not for Caribbean grads it seems the US MD's have set most of this into motion a long time ago? :luck:

It is, however, true that DO's can take the USMLE boards to place into allopathic residencies, but you do not earn an MD degree just because you were matched into an Allo residency. The school you attend grants whichever medical degree they grant. SO it is probably true that your moms friend did take the MD licensing exams, but that person cannot put an MD behind their name.

The is true. The degree that you receive from the medical school that you attend determines the initials that go behind your name. If you attended a school of osteopathic medicine and graduated, you are a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine or DO. If you attended and graduated from an allopathic medical school, you will receive the degree of Doctor of Medicine or MD.

actually, i think it's partially true. one of my physicians is a DO, but he took the USMLE and his certificate has an MD at the end of his name (i saw in his office). i remember being kind of confused. it's probably customary that they put MD on your certificate to signify your passing of the boards, but definitely does not change your overall status as a DO.

You do not get a certificate for passing all three steps of USMLE that has your name with MD behind it. I have passed all three and have three little papers that say "P" or Pass and my scores.

Many times osteopathic physicians who completed allopathic residencies before the 2000s had MD placed behind their names most likely by mistake. It is not that they were granted the degree of Doctor of Medicine after completing the residency but a mistake as to the type of degree that they actually had going into the residency. Before 2000, osteopathic physicians were extremely rare in many locations. Medical schools are the only degree-granting entities not residencies.

See, I thought this was something a lot of foreign docs did. Instead of coming over and taking the foreign entry exam, htey could go to a DO school, and then they would have an MD/DO degree. A few of my dad's clients have this and he asked about it, adn that's what they told him. I think most people who went this route didn't go overseas intentionally, they were born there, studied there, and then immigrated at an older age.

Only a few options that I could think of:

1. Had a DO before the 1960's California DO-->MD merger...and got an MD at that time (this was short-lived....check the FAQ for the details).

2. Earned an MD from a foreign country and then enrolled at NYCOM's emigre program and completed a full US DO program.

3. Earned a DO and then took some bull$hit online course from one of the lesser known caribbean schools and bought an MD degree.

4. Earned a DO and upon graduating from an MD residency got a diploma with MD next to their name (as a typo/oversight) or similarly the hospital they work at wrongly puts MD on all of its physicians badges.

5. They're lying and seek an ego stroke

There are a few programs that will allow you to pay a significant amount of money, give you credit for the medical courses that you have taken at another medical school (osteopathic) and will give you the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) which then entitles you to place MD after your name.

The problem with this is that your MD degree will be from a foreign (diploma mill) read "purchased" here, and residency program directors and faculty are more than aware of these diploma mills. Instead of purchasing "prestige" you have actually purchased a largely worthless piece of paper and "stupidity" if you attempt to present this to a residency program. You can certainly hang it on your wall so that you have a daily reminder of your MD and you could burn it for warmth if the power goes out in your office, but largely, it's an expensive piece of paper.

We DO get a laugh out of the folks who have submitted these "MD" degrees with their ERAS applications. We have never invited any of these folks for residency interview either.

The problem may be that DOs went through a slightly hokey period where they really pushed manipulation more than getting in line behind the people supporting hard science, biochemical tests, and the genetics "wave". That hokey period matches up pretty well with the time where all the currently-old MDs (the ones with political clout) were training, and thinking they were very much cooler. Honestly, now that docs barely look you in the eye when they take your history and do your pelvic exam, DO training really does focus on a lot of the right stuff.

It will wear itself out as DOs begin to infiltrate medicine a bit more, especially in subspecialties. I know most of my buddies at allo school who are training in today's world will not discriminate or support programs/policies that are unfair. It may just take a while for the new enlightened bunch to get their careers going a bit more and get more of a voice. I actually think SDN is good for this too--a significant # of premeds come on here and get exposed to assinine arguments "DO vs. MD" all the time. Hopefully they will use their brains and realize the whole thing is dumba$$ and get out there and be more open minded.

The problem may be that DOs went through a slightly hokey period where they really pushed manipulation more than getting in line behind the people supporting hard science, biochemical tests, and the genetics "wave". That hokey period matches up pretty well with the time where all the currently-old MDs (the ones with political clout) were training, and thinking they were very much cooler. Honestly, now that docs barely look you in the eye when they take your history and do your pelvic exam, DO training really does focus on a lot of the right stuff.

It will wear itself out as DOs begin to infiltrate medicine a bit more, especially in subspecialties. I know most of my buddies at allo school who are training in today's world will not discriminate or support programs/policies that are unfair. It may just take a while for the new enlightened bunch to get their careers going a bit more and get more of a voice. I actually think SDN is good for this too--a significant # of premeds come on here and get exposed to assinine arguments "DO vs. MD" all the time. Hopefully they will use their brains and realize the whole thing is dumba$$ and get out there and be more open minded.

You will have to get state boards to change too. I think the problem is ignorance and just plain prejudice.:luck:

The is true. The degree that you receive from the medical school that you attend determines the initials that go behind your name. If you attended a school of osteopathic medicine and graduated, you are a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine or DO. If you attended and graduated from an allopathic medical school, you will receive the degree of Doctor of Medicine or MD.

You do not get a certificate for passing all three steps of USMLE that has your name with MD behind it. I have passed all three and have three little papers that say "P" or Pass and my scores.

Many times osteopathic physicians who completed allopathic residencies before the 2000s had MD placed behind their names most likely by mistake. It is not that they were granted the degree of Doctor of Medicine after completing the residency but a mistake as to the type of degree that they actually had going into the residency. Before 2000, osteopathic physicians were extremely rare in many locations. Medical schools are the only degree-granting entities not residencies.

There are a few programs that will allow you to pay a significant amount of money, give you credit for the medical courses that you have taken at another medical school (osteopathic) and will give you the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) which then entitles you to place MD after your name.

The problem with this is that your MD degree will be from a foreign (diploma mill) read "purchased" here, and residency program directors and faculty are more than aware of these diploma mills. Instead of purchasing "prestige" you have actually purchased a largely worthless piece of paper and "stupidity" if you attempt to present this to a residency program. You can certainly hang it on your wall so that you have a daily reminder of your MD and you could burn it for warmth if the power goes out in your office, but largely, it's an expensive piece of paper.

We DO get a laugh out of the folks who have submitted these "MD" degrees with their ERAS applications. We have never invited any of these folks for residency interview either.
Agreed. I would never have suggested it for trying to obtain a residency; however, since the carribean school is technically graduating you also and granting you the MD, you have both degrees, correct? Could this MD then be used to obtain practice rights overseas more easily?

I just read a bunch of stuff on WebMD.com

Im Photoshopping my diploma right now

"JPHazelton, D.O., M.D."

You mean like this?

2iav0ci.jpg

Agreed. I would never have suggested it for trying to obtain a residency; however, since the carribean school is technically graduating you also and granting you the MD, you have both degrees, correct? Could this MD then be used to obtain practice rights overseas more easily?

In most of the first world, DOs don't have a difficult time obtaining practice rights. I don't know if an MD would help in those which don't (I suspect yes) But will these countries inquire about what licensure exam you took? If so wouldn't the COMLEX raise a flag? (please don't flame me, I agree 100 percent that the COMLEX is as good of an exam as the USMLE...)

In most of the first world, DOs don't have a difficult time obtaining practice rights. I don't know if an MD would help in those which don't (I suspect yes) But will these countries inquire about what licensure exam you took? If so wouldn't the COMLEX raise a flag? (please don't flame me, I agree 100 percent that the COMLEX is as good of an exam as the USMLE...)
Ahh, but perhaps the DO completed an allopathic residency and took all 3 steps of the USMLE.

I wouldn't want to change my degree, I just hope that addt'l opportunities for reciprocity abroad become available. The are alot of countries that recognize a DO medical degree, but there are a few in which the jury is still currently out (I heard that some of those waive the licensing prob if you are a member of a medical mission). So the main problem will be the need for increased advocacy for recognition abroad.

If MD=DO and vice-versa, then why's this even matter?

This goes to show that alot of you still consider DOs to be MD-rejects, if it doesnt matter to you guys, why even worry and talk about somethin that's likely not gonna work? Would any of you really want to pay 20K more just for an MD? Youre already gonna be in 150-200K in debt as is ... i'll be happy with whatever I can get, MD or DO ... doesnt matter to me.

LA does recognize the COMLEX. It was the last state to do so, but it does. Thats what I was told at least.

I stand corrected then, out of curiosity when did this change? As someone who passed USMLE 1-2 (I did an allopathic residency) and COMLEX 1-3 I was faced with taking USMLE 3 two years ago so I could get a LA license. I wasn't overly enthralled about practicing in LA in general and decided not to do that.

Let's just cut to the MD/DO battle... :D

I stand corrected then, out of curiosity when did this change? As someone who passed USMLE 1-2 (I did an allopathic residency) and COMLEX 1-3 I was faced with taking USMLE 3 two years ago so I could get a LA license. I wasn't overly enthralled about practicing in LA in general and decided not to do that.

The bold print were added by me

http://www.loma-net.org/legislativeupdates.htm

Legislative Updates

(New Orleans, LA) –The osteopathic profession achieved a critical victory in Louisiana when a rule change by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) established parity between the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX-USA) and the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), and between the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) certifying boards and the boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).

“Reaching this definitive victory in Louisiana in 2005 was the result of several years of hard work on the part of the AOA and leaders of the osteopathic medical profession in Louisiana,” said AOA President Philip L. Shettle, D.O.

The June 20th ruling, granting parity between the AOA certifying boards and the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) boards, by the Louisiana State Board Medical Examiners (LSBME) is the most recent success in a string of osteopathic victories.

“We spent years and years educating the Louisiana medical board about osteopathic medicine,” explains Nancy Bellemare, D.O., president of the Louisiana Osteopathic Medical Association (LOMA) between 1997 and 2005.

The AOA and LOMA worked with the LSBME for several years toward the ruling on May 30, 2001, that amended the Louisiana Medical Practice Act to include both D.O.s with M.D.s in the state’s definition of medical physicians. The next month, the LSBME revised its licensure rules to recognize the AOA’s COMLEX-USA and earlier NBOME qualifying exams.

However, the LSBME ruling was not a complete triumph for the osteopathic profession because D.O.s who passed COMLEX-USA were required to be certified by an ABMS board, until now.

The new rule allows osteopathic physicians in any specialty to present the board proof of passing the COMLEX-USA as the first step toward obtaining full and unrestricted licensure in Louisiana. They no longer need to be ABMS board-certified in order for the COMLEX-USA to be recognized. In addition, as long as they have completed at least one year of post-graduate clinical training in either an AOA program or an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) program within the past 10 years, D.O.s who are licensed in other states will be granted reciprocity in Louisiana.

“Now that restrictions for D.O.s are no longer in place, Louisiana natives who graduate from osteopathic medical schools won’t have any stumbling blocks in their way if they want to return home to practice,” notes Joel Glen Eldridge, D.O, the newly elected president of LOMA.

“The achievement of licensing parity for D.O.s in Louisiana will facilitate growth of the osteopathic profession and increase the availability of quality primary care physicians in underserved and rural areas of the state,” adds Ed Williams, Ph.D., Executive Director of LOMA.

A diploma mill "MD" degree wont help you get a better residency. It wont help you get a better job. And no, it wont help you practice overseas.

All of the people making the decisions regarding residencies, hospital privelages and international reciprocity are well aware of the granting institutions of these "MD" degrees. As was said above, you more often look like an idiot rather than a resourceful person.

I see your point plasticman...you want to do everything you can to maximize the potential of your training. That can be done through hard work and effort, not through a $20K piece of paper.

In the end the only people who will see your "MD" title in a different light than what it is are laypersons...your patients. And the ironic things is, they are the ones who are LEAST likely to care WHICH degree you have...as long as you have competent hands and a warm speculum...I mean warm heart. ;)

youre an idiot. get out.

Excuse me? I did not say anything inflammatory. You made a personal attack and violated the TOS.

Nate, why do you feel the need to reprimand me for lesser behavior and take no action upon others attacking me?

Excuse me? I did not say anything inflammatory. You made a personal attack and violated the TOS.

Nate, why do you feel the need to reprimand me for lesser behavior and take no action upon others attacking me?

you were trying to turn this into another MD vs DO flame war, tha's why I said what I said. good day.

you were trying to turn this into another MD vs DO flame war, tha's why I said what I said. good day.

I know how these threads usually end. I was just pointing out an observation. I nowhere mentioned any preference for MD or DO being better than one another.

You rude post has been reported and hopefully the correct actions will be taken to insure that you stop this childish behavior.

Please refrain from name calling or personal attacks. If a post is against our forum rules please use the "report post" button.

This topic has been discussed so many times it is actually sad to me. I am crying inside, please give me a reason to close it

Please refrain from name calling or personal attacks. If a post is against our forum rules please use the "report post" button.

This topic has been discussed so many times it is actually sad to me. I am crying inside, please give me a reason to close it

May I have permission to give you a reason to close it without it counting as a violation of the TOS?

May I have permission to give you a reason to close it without it counting as a violation of the TOS?

haha oh man. I wanna be a DO/MD/pHD. Basically, I want to go to school for the rest of my life, never get laid ever again and win the award for the largest nerd everrrrr! I wonder if PAs can get their DO or MD. I am a DPA. HA!

Keep in mind that school in Antigua is considered "online" to some states and you will not be an M.D. in that state. You'll be practicing legally with your D.O. license obviously but I don't know how that plays in using the initials M.D. if you aren't M.D. in that state :confused:

Also, keep in mind that IF patients are told by other doctors that you bought your M.D. degree, they will most likely automatically dismiss any considerations they had for you to be their doctor. Just some things to consider. Not saying it's a bad option for credibility to ignorant people - especially if someone wants to write a book.

I just don't know if it's legal if you put MD behind your name (even Joe Blow, D.O., M.D.) if that state doesn't recognize the school. Wouldn't that be equivalent to putting M.D. behind your name without any additional schooling or $20k investment involved?

haha oh man. I wanna be a DO/MD/pHD. Basically, I want to go to school for the rest of my life, never get laid ever again and win the award for the largest nerd everrrrr! I wonder if PAs can get their DO or MD. I am a DPA. HA!

This all reminds me of basically the theme to Kanye West's first album. Speaking of Kanye West, what an egomaniac. Anybody with me on that observation?

A CERTAIN TROLL (MLH) LIKES LITTLE BOYS! THERE! COME ON! CLOSE THE THREAD ALREADY!

Note: This is said simply for the sake of getting this thread locked. Everyone knows that MLH is faithful to his neighbor's dog. :laugh:

I know how these threads usually end. I was just pointing out an observation. I nowhere mentioned any preference for MD or DO being better than one another.

You rude post has been reported and hopefully the correct actions will be taken to insure that you stop this childish behavior.

"Myleghurts" doesn't a guy with a 4.0 undergrade GPA like you have better and smarter things to do than constantly linger on SDN trying to bait MD vs DO arguements. Go out.....get drunk...meet some women. Enjoy yourself.

"Myleghurts" doesn't a guy with a 4.0 undergrade GPA like you have better and smarter things to do than constantly linger on SDN trying to bait MD vs DO arguements. Go out.....get drunk...meet some women. Enjoy yourself.

I edited your above statement so that it reads correctly.

"Myleghurts" doesn't a guy with a 4.0 undergrade GPA like you have better and smarter things to do than constantly linger on SDN trying to bait MD vs DO arguements. Go out.....get drunk...meet some men. Enjoy yourself.

:thumbup:

I agree with a lot of you If you can close this thread it's really silly in a way,

DO's should work towards getting good press and states to change how they are viewed not how to get the MD behind the name. DO's are already Doctors.:cool:

I'm not too sure why any DO would take the USMLE step 2 and 3....though I guess theres a few rare programs who like to see an early step 2 score before the match...and I'm sure others can chime in w/ a few valid reasons.

(1) To be competitive for derm, ortho, and other competitive MD residencies.

(2) If you take USMLE III, you're boarded by the MD side. You don't have to take Comlex III, and you can practice in medicine in peace free from the the AOA.

....and you can practice in medicine in peace free from the the AOA

Hell, that's reason enough......

(2) If you take USMLE III, you're boarded by the MD side. You don't have to take Comlex III, and you can practice in medicine in peace free from the the AOA.

"boarded" has two different meaning ... if you complete an ACGME (aka MD residency), then you are eligible to be boarded by one of the MD specialty boards. If you complete an AOA residency, you are eligible to be boarded by a DO specialty board. There are some MD specialty board that will recongize AOA residency and allow you to take the MD specialty board. USMLE/COMLEX is not a factor in whether you take the MD or DO specialty board but in where/what you did you residency. (specialty boards like American Board of Internal Medicine, American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine, etc)

The 2nd definition of "boards" is COMLEX or USMLE - which med students frequently use.

If you finish the USMLE series but not COMLEX, there are some states that will not allow you to practice. California is one of them. As of the Graduating Class of 2008, all DO students must pass Step 1 and Step 2 of COMLEX in order to graduate. To not take COMLEX 3 is just silly since you're so close already to finishing. If you want to take all 3 steps of USMLE, go ahead.

In some states, they require DOs to get CME credits from the AOA in order to get licensure renewal. So in those states, you might not be AOA-free.

Welcome to federalism, where all 50 states have their own unique rules about licensures