Can a PA become board certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me first of all say that I have an appreciation for what (and I use this term with NO CONDESCENSION, so perhaps I can head off the moral indignation of those who require trigger warnings) allied health professionals do, and by that I mean anyone who is not a physician. I have worked as, for example, a phlebotomist and also in the field in EMS with a busy fire department, so I have an understanding, and as I said, an appreciation for the time and effort required to do these jobs of a very visceral level rather than just paying lip service to them. I understand, for example, what it is like to clean a patient with multiple incidents of severe C. diff diarrhea, because I have spent much more of my time in the "house" of medicine in a subordinate position. Medicine is also my fourth career, so I am not one of those "mindless type A drones" who is "vastly unprepared for the real world" (vide infra).

That being said, it is hard not to be affected by comments such as these from the PA community (from the PA forum, directed to EmedPA):
comment01.jpg

comment02.jpg

There's also this jewel, in which several people take turns guffawing because several non-EM-trained physicians could not perform some very basic tasks with regard to a airplane passenger in distress (and, I do have to admit that there is a bit of humor to this situation). In a sense, this article makes the point that many have made in this discussion: namely, that those who do not have the depth of training, knowledge, and experience should not be expected to perform at the same level as someone who does.

So all that is being said here is:

2 ≠ 4 (WRT PA school vs. med school)
and
2 or 3 ≠ 7 or 8 (if including PA residency vs. EM residency)

..and not just in the numerical sense, but in the sense of training, knowledge, and experience. Yes, I respect the fact that EmedPA has a great deal of experience in the field. That being said, and I am speaking in generalities here, the implication that that is exactly the same thing as a residency-trained physician is to (and I hear that a lot from both PAs and PA students) dismiss residency as a trifling experience, in which "mental adolescents" tiptoe through the Emergency Medicine tulips while occasionally stopping to glean some random medical knowledge here and there, and at the same time being fed snacks and fanned with giant banana leaves by the oppressed masses of other health professionals à la Sally Strothers in that South Park episode - or, if you prefer - to "go through the motions" as mentioned above.

As I said, I have worked with both PAs and NPs and have a lot of respect for them as well as learning a great deal from them, and they have made a rational decision (for what I am sure are very good reasons) to pursue a different course of medical training. However, that decision doesn't mean that one should assume that someone emerging from NP or PA school is, mirabile dictu, all of a sudden a lean, mean, EM practicing machine that is just as good as a resident and therefore should be viewed interchangeably - or that X amount of time practicing is in all respects equal to what is taught in residency. I understand that EMedPA is stressing above that he doesn't consider them to be equal (although many a PA or NP does seem to sing that tune), but at the same time saying that there should be independent practice rights for all is, for all intents and purposes, saying just that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Let me first of all say that I have an appreciation for what (and I use this term with NO CONDESCENSION, so perhaps I can head off the moral indignation of those who require trigger warnings) allied health professionals do, and by that I mean anyone who is not a physician. I have worked as, for example, a phlebotomist and also in the field in EMS with a busy fire department, so I have an understanding, and as I said, an appreciation for the time and effort required to do these jobs of a very visceral level rather than just paying lip service to them. I understand, for example, what it is like to clean a patient with multiple incidents of severe C. diff diarrhea, because I have spent much more of my time in the "house" of medicine in a subordinate position. Medicine is also my fourth career, so I am not one of those "mindless type A drones" who is "vastly unprepared for the real world" (vide infra).

That being said, it is hard not to be affected by comments such as these from the PA community (from the PA forum, directed to EmedPA):
View attachment 217818
View attachment 217820

There's also this jewel, in which several people take turns guffawing because several non-EM-trained physicians could not perform some very basic tasks with regard to a airplane passenger in distress (and, I do have to admit that there is a bit of humor to this situation). In a sense, this article makes the point that many have made in this discussion: namely, that those who do not have the depth of training, knowledge, and experience should not be expected to perform at the same level as someone who does.

So all that is being said here is:

2 ≠ 4 (WRT PA school vs. med school)
and
2 or 3 ≠ 7 or 8 (if including PA residency vs. EM residency)

..and not just in the numerical sense, but in the sense of training, knowledge, and experience. Yes, I respect the fact that EmedPA has a great deal of experience in the field. That being said, and I am speaking in generalities here, the implication that that is exactly the same thing as a residency-trained physician is to (and I hear that a lot from both PAs and PA students) dismiss residency as a trifling experience, in which "mental adolescents" tiptoe through the Emergency Medicine tulips while occasionally stopping to glean some random medical knowledge here and there, and at the same time being fed snacks and fanned with giant banana leaves by the oppressed masses of other health professionals à la Sally Strothers in that South Park episode - or, if you prefer - to "go through the motions" as mentioned above.

As I said, I have worked with both PAs and NPs and have a lot of respect for them as well as learning a great deal from them, and they have made a rational decision (for what I am sure are very good reasons) to pursue a different course of medical training. However, that decision doesn't mean that one should assume that someone emerging from NP or PA school is, mirabile dictu, all of a sudden a lean, mean, EM practicing machine that is just as good as a resident and therefore should be viewed interchangeably - or that X amount of time practicing is in all respects equal to what is taught in residency. I understand that EMedPA is stressing above that he doesn't consider them to be equal (although many a PA or NP does seem to sing that tune), but at the same time saying that there should be independent practice rights for all is, for all intents and purposes, saying just that.

I don't know if I've ever seen that many ad hominem attacks.

Yep, doctors are a bunch of socially-******ed folks that were bullied, and we are paying it forward by oppressing the poor wittle midwevels. Oh, and medical school is largely pointless.

This is what we are up against.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't matter. They represent you, and they're stirring up a s#@t pot. They're who the public looks to when they try to figure out what the PA profession is up to.
I agree. The point I was trying to make was to remind you that the PAs you work with don't necessarily agree with them, so hopefully you won't bring your anger about the issue to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. The point I was trying to make was to remind you that the PAs you work with don't necessarily agree with them, so hopefully you won't bring your anger about the issue to work.
We will see what ACEP, AAEM, and even the AMA (lol) can muster in response to this.

We will see what ACEP, AAEM, and even the AMA (lol) can muster in response to this.

Like I've said before, the best thing the AMA could do is define what it means to practice medicine, and then nail people who practice medicine without being under the BOM. No more naturopaths diagnosing liver parasites and prescribing expensive supplements (that can ONLY be bought from their clinic), and no more "advanced nursing" opening their own medical clinic.

But it's not going to happen. The horses are out of the barn.

Alright everybody. Let's keep it calm and professional. I get the heightened emotions and all, but we don't need to create a flame war.
Going to their forum to see what they talk about is a bit much. We don't like it when the nurses come over here and complain about what doctors talk about, we should do the same for other services. We all have to work together in this.

Reactions: 2 users
I went to a reputable PA school like that and took some classes with the MD students. I had physicians as 50% of my instructors. Keep in mind that a PA only has 1 year didactic and 1 year clinical. They can't learn in 1 year what a MD student learns in 2. (Can you imagine trying to learn MS2 while learning MS1? <shiver>) There's a reason I went back to school - and it wasn't for the money. Perhaps UIowa PA students take the same tests as med students, but at my school we had separate exams. On the surface, early MD students and PA students look the same, but another year or two and they won't. I went back for the deeper knowledge that I required the detailed biochemistry and pathology that gets skipped in PA school.
Medical students also have to prepare for the boards, which provides an exponential level of preparation above merely taking a course, as it requires repetition and understanding that you don't get in a few weeks of pathology or whatever. I hate to say it, but a lot of what makes a doctor is the totality to which we have to learn things to pass the Steps. Residency is the other major component, but that foundational knowledge is critical.

Reactions: 1 users
Can a first responder take a few courses, get a couple of years of experience, and just take the NREMT exam and become an EMT without taking an EMT course?

Can an EMT take a few extra courses, get a couple of years experience, and just take the NREMT-P exam and become a paramedic without actually taking a paramedic course?

I mean... why not? The line between a first responder and a paramedic is blurred as it is and they practically do the same thing? Why would you be against more education and the first responder advancing their education?
Yeah, actually they can.

Where did you say US in the first post?

How many other countries use the National Registry of Emergency Medicine Technicians (NREMT) as the certification exam? (yes, I recognize that the NREMT exam isn't used by all states, but it's the closest EMS has to a national certification/testing agency).

At what point in any part of this thread is there any indication that it involves countries other than the United States?

I guess that the UK has a huge fight between PAs and physicians like the US has? Or is it Korea (North or South)?

At what point in any part of this thread is there any indication that it involves countries other than the United States?
Well, other than the 3 or so pages about emedpa's international health doctorate. You know, the whole point of the blowup of this thread.

Well, other than the 3 or so pages about emedpa's international health doctorate. You know, the whole point of the blowup of this thread.

Which had to do with the difference between different types of degrees and not the difference between health care providers in Zimbabwe.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.