Can anybody let this Canadian applicant know if he's doing okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alucard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm applying to a whole bunch of U.S. dental schools this summer, and I'd really LOVE to know what you think about my stats.

1. Canadian applicant, currently attending the University of Toronto (which does have a faculty of dentistry, but avg. admission GPA is 3.78 :eek:, the unfortunate UofT goers... )

2. GPA:
1st year: 3.01 (I did electrical engineering 1st year, wasnt very good)
2nd year: 3.71 (transfered to a life science major second year)
3rd year: 3.33 ~ 3.45 (expected. Yes, 3rd year courses are kinda hard :oops: )
avg: 3.39 ~ 3.43

3. Canadian DAT:
Bio 22
Chm 23
Sci Avg 23
Reading 18
Academic Avg 21
PAT 19
Carving 11 (Ouch!! don't know what happened there)

4. Schools I'm planning to apply and their avg GPA:

University of Maryland 3.4
Virginia Commonwealth University 3.4
University of Buffalo 3.4
University of Louisville 3.4
Ohio State University 3.47
Tufts University 3.3
Case Western University 3.34
University of Michigan 3.42
Columbia University 3.4
Boston University 3.1
New York University 3.4
University of Pennsylvania 3.5

I originally wanted to apply to Temple too, but my parents' friend said not to go there because it's not located in a very nice neighbourhood, everyday someone gets murdered, blah, blah, blah.....

Anyway, so if anyone could help me rate my standing, that would be great. And do you think there's any school that I have missed but worth a try?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. I know there are postings regarding student loans for Canadian student, someone said we can get up to 45K U.S. a year, is that for real? Or is there any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Alucard,

Dont sweat it. Just apply early and youll most likely get to pick where u wanna interview. Your stats are good, as long as u write a good essay and have good volunteering youll be good to go.

Im a fellow Canadian so I know how hard it is to bite the dust and pay $60 K US a year, but what can ya do?? We are slaves to our desires to be dentists. And even then, its payable, obviously as people have shown.

My stats are pretty similar to yours actually.

1st year: 2.7 DAT = 19 Read, 26 Bio, 21 Chem, 21 PAT, 21 Carve
2nd year: 3
3rd year: 3.7
4th year: 3.6

I applied so late this year (late Feb), but still managed to get an interview at Boston U.

Bottom line for you: Apply early, and youll be good to go :thumbup:

Hi alucard,

I'm from UofT too....I know first hand what going to this school can do to your gpa.....

Your gpa is good and your DAT scores are awesome, I don't think you need to worry about getting into most of the schools you'll be applying to.....
U.S. schools don't care about carving, just PAT and AA.....i had a 13 in carving, which is not great, but no one gave me any problems about it....
Remember the interview and reference letters also have some weight.....

For loans for canadians....do a search on this forum....u'll find lots of stuff...
there is CANHELP, the RBC professional students loan, CIBC student loans...

Take care,
TO-boy

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply Really Early!!!

alucard said:
I originally wanted to apply to Temple too, but my parents' friend said not to go there because it's not located in a very nice neighbourhood, everyday someone gets murdered, blah, blah, blah.....
Crossing a school off your list because of something a "parent's friend" said is not a good idea. I recommend you apply to Temple and check out the neighborhood for yourself if you interview there.

Personally I had heard all the horror stories and ended up being pleasantly surprised during my visit there. It's just your typical inner city neighborhood...nothing to wet your pants over. Take the usual common sense precautions and you'll be just fine (and reap the benefits of the abundant patient pool).

alucard said:
And do you think there's any school that I have missed but worth a try?
The University of Pittsburgh would seem to be in keeping with the other schools on your list.

hopefulgirl said:
Apply Really Early!!!
Amen to that. I wish I had known how quickly schools fill their classes. If you stick to your plan and apply during the summer (August at the latest) you won't have any problems. If you delay until November or so (like I did) you could have difficulties.

Thank you all you guys for answering my questions!
That sure helped me boosting my confidence.
And thanks for all the advices! :)

Hey alucard,

HAHHAH......dude, your stats are top notch.....you'll probalby get into some Canadian schools.......and you will DEFINITELY get into US schools......anyone you wish!!!....even Harvard if you apply in the summer!

Also, Tooth Monkey is right......give Temple a chance....u shouldnt cross them off.....they will most definitely give you an interview and you should see the school for yourself and then decide......but honestly with your stats, you will get to pick and choose.

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian in first year at UPitt. Your stats are great and I really do feel you have a good chance of getting in to the school of your choice.

I can really only speak for UPitt, and I would suggest that you apply here. It's international student 'friendly'. The facilities are very good (new sim clinic) and the staff/profs/students are really nice. Plus, it's only a 5hr drive from Toronto, which is a plus.

If you want more info on UPitt, feel free to PM me.
Good luck,
Hot-n-Aml

alucard said:
Hi everyone, I'm applying to a whole bunch of U.S. dental schools this summer, and I'd really LOVE to know what you think about my stats.

1. Canadian applicant, currently attending the University of Toronto (which does have a faculty of dentistry, but avg. admission GPA is 3.78 :eek:, the unfortunate UofT goers... )

2. GPA:
1st year: 3.01 (I did electrical engineering 1st year, wasnt very good)
2nd year: 3.71 (transfered to a life science major second year)
3rd year: 3.33 ~ 3.45 (expected. Yes, 3rd year courses are kinda hard :oops: )
avg: 3.39 ~ 3.43

3. Canadian DAT:
Bio 22
Chm 23
Sci Avg 23
Reading 18
Academic Avg 21
PAT 19
Carving 11 (Ouch!! don't know what happened there)

4. Schools I'm planning to apply and their avg GPA:

University of Maryland 3.4
Virginia Commonwealth University 3.4
University of Buffalo 3.4
University of Louisville 3.4
Ohio State University 3.47
Tufts University 3.3
Case Western University 3.34
University of Michigan 3.42
Columbia University 3.4
Boston University 3.1
New York University 3.4
University of Pennsylvania 3.5

Anyway, so if anyone could help me rate my standing, that would be great. And do you think there's any school that I have missed but worth a try?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. I know there are postings regarding student loans for Canadian student, someone said we can get up to 45K U.S. a year, is that for real? Or is there any other options?

Your stats seem straight; don't sweat it. By the way: how did you come up with your screen name?

My alias is the reverse of ......Dracula

haha, it's not that i came up with this myself, as anybody into the video game scene would know, Alucard is the famous vampire killer in the popular franchise Castlevania made by Konami. This particular game is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Playstation 1.

This is still my FAVOURITE video game up to this day!!

Alucard's real name is Adrian Farenheights Tepes, and he's the son of Dracula and a mortal woman named Lisa....

Sorry, I could go on with this forever, so better stop now. :p

P.S. anybody owns a PS should have this game :thumbup:

avingupta said:
Hey alucard,

HAHHAH......dude, your stats are top notch.....you'll probalby get into some Canadian schools.......and you will DEFINITELY get into US schools......anyone you wish!!!....even Harvard if you apply in the summer!

Also, Tooth Monkey is right......give Temple a chance....u shouldnt cross them off.....they will most definitely give you an interview and you should see the school for yourself and then decide......but honestly with your stats, you will get to pick and choose.

temple sucks ass. Nuff said

Your stats. . .

US schools: good chance
CA schools: borderline (maybe no chance... Everything upto this posting sounds too good so far; I try to play the skeptic role here :) )

US schools you will get in, Canada schools..Not sure coz they don't care about the dats but do care about marks.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Woodsy said:
US schools you will get in, Canada schools..Not sure coz they don't care about the dats but do care about marks.

Good luck

Ooops......sorry, I thought you had a 3.78 GPA, but you were referring to what UofT wants....perhaps I should read much closer....yah sorry to be blunt, but you got no chance in Canada.....but you still have a good chance in the States.....minus my Harvard comment......sorry, I was mistaken.

Haha, it's okay avingupta, I sort of figured you read my GPA wrong somewhere when you replied to my msg. I am not really counting on getting into any Canadian schools, that's why I'm only applying to one, UofT, just because it's in Toronto and also relying on the fact they drop your worst year.

As for U.S. schools, I just hope that my marks will be okay. And of course not Harvard, not a school I would be considering going even if I had the marks. UofT is no less competitive than Harvard I believe, and I've already had enough of that!

But still thanks a lot for everyone replied to me! :)

Hey,

I also think you're a shoe-in for U.S. dental schools. However, your choices of schools should really include more private schools. I'm from U of T, graduated with a similar G.P.A as yours, and had very similar DAT scores. I got into three schools (all private) and got eight interviews (all private schools). Ohio State, which is a public school, rejected me the first week my application was in circulation. I also think Temple is a very good clinicle school and a number of us Canadians get interviews. I personally chose to go to Nova Southeastern. It really is an amazing school and I know of three fellow Canadians that are in my class. You should add it to your list. I wish you the best of luck with your apps.

alucard said:

haha, it's not that i came up with this myself, as anybody into the video game scene would know, Alucard is the famous vampire killer in the popular franchise Castlevania made by Konami. This particular game is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Playstation 1.

Alucard's real name is Adrian Farenheights Tepes, and he's the son of Dracula and a mortal woman named Lisa....

Actually, they jacked that(Alucard) from Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'

alucard said:

Thats what I thought. That named sounded familiar :luck:

you are a big fat cow a big fat cow a big fat cow....hahaa

>2nd year: 3.71 (transfered to a life science major second year)
>3rd year: 3.33 ~ 3.45 (expected. Yes, 3rd year courses are kinda hard )

UWO looks at your best two years, and if you can get 3.6 avg on them you have an average chance of getting in.

By the way, I just have a quick question directed at canadians studying dentistry in the states... what are your plans after graduation? Is there any
need to promise to practice in the US? It's hard to believe americans don't care about a "reverse brain drain" of graduates sneaking back to the north! :)

Frank Cavitation said:

UWO looks at your best two years, and if you can get 3.6 avg on them you have an average chance of getting in.

By the way, I just have a quick question directed at canadians studying dentistry in the states... what are your plans after graduation? Is there any
need to promise to practice in the US? It's hard to believe americans don't care about a "reverse brain drain" of graduates sneaking back to the north! :)

No, there is no 'promise' involved when coming to school down south. And I am sure that US schools are aware that many students will leave the state, and country as well. I do definitely plan on returning back home the second I graduated, mainly because I have a few job prospects lined up.

cheers,
Hot-n-Aml

Frank Cavitation said:

If you study in the USA, i don't know why you would want to work in Canada. You make so much more money in the USA for doing the same job. I doubt they (The Americans) care because they have so many dentists anyways and that there will probably be another Cdn coming down to the states to replace you. Even if I study in Canada I'd try to come to the USA, by "hook or by crook"... :smuggrin: It would be stupid to go back to Canada if you are not forced to because you can't get a visa or green card.
Think about it you paid so much money for school..... It would not be wise.
If I wanted to practice in Canada, I'd go to a cheaper Canadian school.
Then you say, but I couldn't get into a Canadian school....THen here is where I say "well, then since you "compromised" to go to school in the states because it will benefit you, why don't you "compromise" staying in the states rather than going back to Canada because that would benefit you?"

Then you say "But I'm not in dentistry for the money." Then I say "BULL****!" Or "I'd say you're an idiot!" Then you say nothing because you know that I'm right. Regardless in for the money or not it's stupid to do the same job and get paid less.

I expect the flames now.....

Now if you have job prospects lined up, then you have to calculate where you would make more. But hey, if you wanna go back to Canada that'scool. Less competition for me....wouldn't matter though, Coz I'd blow you out of the water anyways hahahahhhahahaa :laugh: :laugh: (j/k)...

ur an oddball woodsy..i swear some of ur posts are just ... whatever...

to the point... if i don't get into dents in canada and have to go to the States this fall i'm still gonna try to get advanced placement in canada for second year... if i can't get in and have to do all 4 years in the US i'm still gettin my ass back to Canada... u ever considered that people actually have ties in a country they've lived in all their lives.... family/significant others/friends .... i've grown up here .. my family is here.. everything and everyone i know is here... why is it so odd to come back here... u can still lead a comfortable lifestyle in Canada.. dentists aren't busking on the streets here or anything... sheesh...

but ur posts woodsy are much of the time centered on money/power/reputation/recognition/being above and doing better than others....

and kudo's to u if that's what u want... but not everyone thinks it 'stupid' to live in a country they love at the cost of not making the extra dough... esp when ur doing well financially in any case... you can have a nice house and car and provide for your children and enjoy a financially stable life here as well... and at the same time i can have grandparents close by for my future kids and visits with my big brother when ever i please ... i for one don't look at coming back as a loss at all...
to each their own right...

Nilez said:
ur an oddball woodsy..i swear some of ur posts are just ... whatever...

to the point... if i don't get into dents in canada and have to go to the States this fall i'm still gonna try to get advanced placement in canada for second year... if i can't get in and have to do all 4 years in the US i'm still gettin my ass back to Canada... u ever considered that people actually have ties in a country they've lived in all their lives.... family/significant others/friends .... i've grown up here .. my family is here.. everything and everyone i know is here... why is it so odd to come back here... u can still lead a comfortable lifestyle in Canada.. dentists aren't busking on the streets here or anything... sheesh...

but ur posts woodsy are much of the time centered on money/power/reputation/recognition/being above and doing better than others....

and kudo's to u if that's what u want... but not everyone thinks it 'stupid' to live in a country they love at the cost of not making the extra dough... esp when ur doing well financially in any case... you can have a nice house and car and provide for your children and enjoy a financially stable life here as well... and at the same time i can have grandparents close by for my future kids and visits with my big brother when ever i please ... i for one don't look at coming back as a loss at all...
to each their own right...

Good Job Nilez...you did a fine job in setting this guy straight, and took the words right out of my mouth.
:thumbup:

As for competition...whatever bud... :laugh:

Hot-n-Aml

Good Job Nilez.....Geez, Woodsy, you are ignorant. Its nice to see you are following the money...just keep on proving my theory about your superficial ways.

First of all, living in the US or Canada is a personal choice. Personally, I dont mind going to school there but when it comes to raising a family, HELLZ NO! First of all, Im a city boy and I want my kids to be raised in a city...BUT I also dont want to worry about getting shot all the time. Also, knowing my kids will be pledging allegiance to the American flag every day makes me shiver. I wonder if the US army has started recruiting in elementary schools yet?? :laugh:

As for the money thing, you are not looking in relative terms. Sure with the exchange rate, you would make more in the States, but you also have to understand that living in the States is a whole lot more expensive, so it evens out in the end. I dont know about you, but I dont know any poor Canadian dentists.

thanks for the varied inputs guys.

It is possible for any Canadian dental grad to work in the States, given the proper boards are written and residency/visa requirements are met. I don't know anybody from my class planning to work there but I am sure quite a few will consider doing GPR or specialty down south since those are way too competitive here. Personally I don't know anything about living in the US and I have no way to become naturalized so that pretty much eliminates me from working for the red white and blue.

What is the median/mean income for dentists in Canada, anyway? Just curious.