Can DOs have physician assistants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dziblo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is a stupid question, I know, but I cant find any info anywhere. Can DOs have PAs? I am planning on doing family practice, and I have a buddy who is in PA school, who Id love to work with when Im out of school....I know MDs can use PAs, but can DOs? Sorry, I did a search but didnt find anything... any responses would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys this is a stupid question, I know, but I cant find any info anywhere. Can DOs have PAs? I am planning on doing family practice, and I have a buddy who is in PA school, who Id love to work with when Im out of school....I know MDs can use PAs, but can DOs? Sorry, I did a search but didnt find anything... any responses would be great! Thanks!

Yes. A DO has the same practice privileges as an MD.

DOs are fully licensed physicians. There isn't anything a MD can do that a DO (in the same field) cannot. Since a DO is a physician, they can have a PA just like any MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks- I figured that was the case. Just really never thought about it though...

Funny: I was under the impression that DO's were forced to work for minimum wage without overtime since they're considered professionals. Also Family practice is the only option you have after med school, and you work for PA's they don't work for your. Basically you are the same as a CNA or Receptionist.

Tidbit, before August 8, 2009, PAs actually had limitations on prescriptive abilities in Pennsylvania if they practiced under a DO.
well state law in pennsylvania also prohibits singing in the bathtub....so go figure

But we have an osteopathic medical school... that's why I found it so peculiar.

Well two and a half osteopathic schools :)

I think that was more a reflection on POMA's attitudes toward PA's than Pennsylvania's attitude toward DO's...

Threads like this make it seem like people are looking for ANY possible excuse not to attend a DO school.

"If I go to a DO school, will I be allowed to practice dermatology in transylvania in an MD residency and wear a blue hat while having three romanian hookers service my otoscope and get paid the same as an MD?"

Seriously, the thought of being able to have a PA work in my practice was never even a thought that crossed my mind during the application season. Who comes up with this stuff?

Threads like this make it seem like people are looking for ANY possible excuse not to attend a DO school.

"If I go to a DO school, will I be allowed to practice dermatology in transylvania in an MD residency and wear a blue hat while having three romanian hookers service my otoscope and get paid the same as an MD?"

Seriously, the thought of being able to have a PA work in my practice was never even a thought that crossed my mind during the application season. Who comes up with this stuff?

The same people that think wikipedia is the word of god and could never be false

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ That made me laugh..thanks!!! Its so funny that premeds are so "intelligent" yet they cant figure this DO vs MD $hit out.

DO blue hat derm rights are way better in Transylvania than those of an FMG. Red hat rights though ... I don't know, could be a wash. I'll need to do some searching to get this answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't PAs associated with MDs required to perform more closed door/bedroom activities than with DOs? Isn't there a weekly requirement for "hooking up" like on TV?

Last edited:
When was the last time you saw a physician assistant on a medical drama?

Well when House was auditioning for new Fellow's there was an old guy there who wasn't really a doctor who would have been House's PA had he actually been hired.

When was the last time you saw a physician assistant on a medical drama?

About the same time I saw a DO on TV, No scratch that, ER in the nineties. I think it was the one that got HIV. Jeanie Boulet P.A., was her name, dang I'm old.

Harrison Ford's character in the fugitive was based on a DO neurosurgeon

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't PAs associated with MDs required to perform more closed door/bedroom activities than with DOs? Isn't there a weekly requirement for "hooking up" like on TV?

OMG....hey can't DOs have fun too?

:eek: Wait. Seriously??? Who started this forum? This may be the most ridiculous thread. Get it off of SDN. This is a disgrace. Of course D.O.'s have PA's. They ARE DOCTORS. This is pathetic

:eek: Wait. Seriously??? Who started this forum? This may be the most ridiculous thread. Get it off of SDN. This is a disgrace. Of course D.O.'s have PA's. They ARE DOCTORS. This is pathetic

Calm down.....people have questions, and these forums have answers. It dosnt matter what the question is, we all dont have the same background.

Wow...you want to be a doctor..have you heard of being understanding or being compassionate...wait till you meet patients that don't know this stuff...

hey biology 101 look at my new thread. Then youll see why im pissed

Harrison Ford's character in the fugitive was based on a DO neurosurgeon
He was actually a vascular surgeon. Should I be honest at my interviews and say this movie was what first turned me on to medicine????

He was actually a vascular surgeon. Should I be honest at my interviews and say this movie was what first turned me on to medicine????
yes I would. I would also tell them the intricat things about you. like if you sometimes sleep with a teddy bear and really really enjoy warm apple pie and vannila ice cream at night when the electricity goes out in a bad storm.:thumbup:

According to the book The DOs, I could of swore it was neurosurgeon but I don't have the book in front of me
here's one link, just google it. http://books.google.com/books?id=7u...OCftfTC&sig=t82rDwWqkUhBK5uyzrg_ho5iPUA&hl=en
just in case we are confused, the real person that the movie was based on was a neurosurgeon, I have no idea what the character in the movie was but I know it was switched from DO to MD for the movie

Last edited:
neutron -> proton + electron + antineutrino

:prof: (i don't think i have ever seen someone use this one before)
its very cute, but it doesnt take away from the fact that I am right Elftown. :smuggrin:

According to the book The DOs, I could of swore it was neurosurgeon but I don't have the book in front of me.
Beat me there, I only saw the 1993 movie. He was definitely vascular in it, and it was pretty essential to the plot; shady pharma falsifying path reports frameup Kimble, and the rest is cinematic history.....:rolleyes:

its very cute, but it doesnt take away from the fact that I am right Elftown. :smuggrin:
Actually, Elftown is right. In beta decay, neutron->proton+W boson. The W boson decays rapidly to an electron, but its decay releases a lot more energy than the mass of an electron and the antineutrino accounts for that excess energy.

Actually, Elftown is right. In beta decay, neutron->proton+W boson. The W boson decays rapidly to an electron, but its decay releases a lot more energy than the mass of an electron and the antineutrino accounts for that excess energy.
I never disagreed with him. Him on the other hand, disagreed with me. and yes everything you said is correct.
you mean intimate
nope

dont get mad at me

The same people that think wikipedia is the word of god and could never be false

WHAAAAT?!?! And all this time I thought Wikipedia was just pages of pure information free from being flooded by posts from people trying to trash certain people's life stories. Silly me.....

WHAAAAT?!?! And all this time I thought Wikipedia was just pages of pure information free from being flooded by posts from people trying to trash certain people's life stories. Silly me.....
and I get flack for bumping a thread a couple days old. Jeeze people are touchy around here

and I get flack for bumping a thread a couple days old. Jeeze people are touchy around here

Who cares what people think. I thought it was funny....

I thought DOs assisted PAs?????