Can FMG/IMG's not moonlight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapeach06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
my better half recently interviewed at a FM program where he was informed that as an FMG no moonlighting was allowed. I could have sworn though that I saw programs where FMG's can moonlight. is this a general thing or is it specific to the program/state rules?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
my better half recently interviewed at a FM program where he was informed that as an FMG no moonlighting was allowed. I could have sworn though that I saw programs where FMG's can moonlight. is this a general thing or is it specific to the program/state rules?

Thanks
FMGs frequently can't get their unrestricted licenses until 2-3 years in, compared to 1 year for US MDs. Depends on the state rules.

Also depends on where you moonlight. If you are talking about "outside" moonlighting (i.e. not at a place affiliated with your program), then yes you must have a license and in many states IMGs can't get one without 3 years of residency. That said, many programs have "internal" moonlighting opportunities where you just pick up additional shifts at your institution. In this case you don't usually need a license since it is affiliated with your training program. For instance, in my program at one of the hospitals you can pick up shifts doing overnight coverage for the non-teaching service, which would otherwise be covered by a PA/NP.

Reactions: 1 users
It also depends if you're on a visa. On a J visa, you can only moonlight internally. On an H visa, if you want to moonlight externally you need a second H visa for each employer.

Reactions: 2 users