This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LCRUF

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I honestly need some motivation because I just feel like giving up..

I just found out I received a D in Biochem (4 credits) and it totally demolished my overall GPA. I went from a 2.94 to a 2.72. I still have the Spring semester, Summer, and next Fall which is when I graduate. I am planning on studying for the DAT over the Spring semester coming up in January and taking my DAT in June 2019. I was also planning on applying to Dental schools this June for Fall 2020 cycle, but should I even bother? Will I have a chance to raise my GPA in these next 3 semesters?

A little bit of a background story: I earned my AA degree at a state college and I transferred to UF last Fall. Ever since I transferred to UF I've had to re-take 3 classes; those 3 classes being: Orgo 1, Physics 2, and now Biochem. I am retaking Physics 2 in the Spring and I'm planning on retaking Biochem in the Summer. I also have 3 W's on my transcript and I have over 15 C's on my transcript. My overall GPA, like I mentioned above, is currently a 2.72 and I haven't even calculated my science GPA because I fear it's going to be very low since most of my C's are in science courses.

I am in need of honest and good advice on what I should do because I am beyond lost and I feel hopeless at this point.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a chance? Yes. But it's very slim. I'd look into doing a master's program because your GPA isn't great and you haven't shown that you can handle a heavy science curriculum. Assuming you're taking an average 16 hours/semester and it has been 5 semesters, if you get a 4.0 for the last 3 semesters, you could potentially break it up to a 3.2 overall. Definitely better than 2.72 but not great.

Even if you do score very well on the DAT, more competitive schools might not give you a chance.

Again, it is possible to get in with a bad GPA (The Under 3.0 Club part 02) but it'll be much more difficult and would rather give you advice that'll make you a more competitive applicant. I recommend doing decently well your last 3 semesters (no more C's) and apply for a 1-2 year masters program. Kill it in the masters program and apply to dental schools.

Why do you think you're struggling in your science courses? How do you think you can improve to perform better in these courses?

Reactions: 3 users
Do you have a chance? Yes. But it's very slim. I'd look into doing a master's program because your GPA isn't great and you haven't shown that you can handle a heavy science curriculum. Assuming you're taking an average 16 hours/semester and it has been 5 semesters, if you get a 4.0 for the last 3 semesters, you could potentially break it up to a 3.2 overall. Definitely better than 2.72 but not great.

Even if you do score very well on the DAT, more competitive schools might not give you a chance.

Again, it is possible to get in with a bad GPA (The Under 3.0 Club part 02) but it'll be much more difficult and would rather give you advice that'll make you a more competitive applicant. I recommend doing decently well your last 3 semesters (no more C's) and apply for a 1-2 year masters program. Kill it in the masters program and apply to dental schools.

Why do you think you're struggling in your science courses? How do you think you can improve to perform better in these courses?
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I honestly think I'm just not spending enough time on the material. The material in these courses are very heavy and I basically start studying for the exams like 1 week before the exam and it's not enough, clearly. I was actually thinking of a Master's program because I was looking at LECOM's Master's program and Nova Southeastern University's Master's program. Would you recommend a post-bacc? Why a Master's over a post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad :)
A Master's program is like a clean slate. If you can pull off a really good GPA in a Master's program that will show you've improved and grown as a student. That's what dental schools want to see if you didn't do so well in undergrad. Post-bacc can help if you're at a 3.5 and want to bump up to 3.6 for example. It's not going to show dramatic change.

Reactions: 1 users
A Master's program is like a clean slate. If you can pull off a really good GPA in a Master's program that will show you've improved and grown as a student. That's what dental schools want to see if you didn't do so well in undergrad. Post-bacc can help if you're at a 3.5 and want to bump up to 3.6 for example. It's not going to show dramatic change.
Okay, great. Thank you so much for clarifying this for me!

15 C’s is a huge red flag. I think Dental schools would be concerned that after you hit C #5, you didn’t have a greater sense of urgency and allowed yourself to pick up 10 more. Most dental schools (if not all) require a 3.0 GPA to graduate, so that in itself would create doubt in your ability to push through the program. I think in your last 3 semesters you need to prove to yourself that you can succeed in your science courses bc dental school is HARD and unbelievably science heavy.

The DAT is also no joke, the bio section itself cuts across 2-3 semesters of gen bio with a razor thin margins for error. Giving it to you straight, good luck with everything.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I honestly think I'm just not spending enough time on the material. The material in these courses are very heavy and I basically start studying for the exams like 1 week before the exam and it's not enough, clearly. I was actually thinking of a Master's program because I was looking at LECOM's Master's program and Nova Southeastern University's Master's program. Would you recommend a post-bacc? Why a Master's over a post-bacc?
As Cavity_Search said, a masters will create a new GPA. So you’ll be starting fresh. A post-back will build off of your undergrad GPA so any additional grades in a post-bacc will have little weight compared to 4 years of undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
No one has yet to mention the cut off GPA for undergrad that some schools have, I'm sure there is information on the forum explaining this further

As Cavity_Search said, a masters will create a new GPA. So you’ll be starting fresh. A post-back will build off of your undergrad GPA so any additional grades in a post-bacc will have little weight compared to 4 years of undergrad.
Yes, thank you! I am researching schools with Master's programs for dental schools. Any recommendations in FL?

Yes, thank you! I am researching schools with Master's programs for dental schools. Any recommendations in FL?
Sorry I'm not too familiar with schools in FL to recommend one.

Like others have said, I would suggest doing either a post-bacc or a masters. I graduated with a GPA on the lower end (3.23) and I just took an additional 30 credits of undergraduate upper level biology courses and achieved all A's in these courses to finally establish a 3.34 in the end. That really isn't much of an increase, but for my specific situation, I found it to be the most sensible and financially logical approach. Luckily, it worked and I was accepted to dental school upon my second cycle as a reapplicant. Even if you only have three semesters left and truly earned all A's in the rest of your courses (which isn't such an easy feat to do a complete 180 in your studying habits), your GPA still wouldn't be where it needs to be upon graduation. The post-bacc route made sense for me.

But for your specific situation, if dentistry is truly what you aspire to do for a career and you have the financial means (or don't mind taking out more loans), then a masters seems to be a better fit. Do well in the program and you'll be good to go as long as you shine on the DAT as well :thumbup: And if dental school doesn't work out, at least you'll have a masters to fall back on.

Like others have said, I would suggest doing either a post-bacc or a masters. I graduated with a GPA on the lower end (3.23) and I just took an additional 30 credits of undergraduate upper level biology courses and achieved all A's in these courses to finally establish a 3.34 in the end. That really isn't much of an increase, but for my specific situation, I found it to be the most sensible and financially logical approach. Luckily, it worked and I was accepted to dental school upon my second cycle as a reapplicant. Even if you only have three semesters left and truly earned all A's in the rest of your courses (which isn't such an easy feat to do a complete 180 in your studying habits), your GPA still wouldn't be where it needs to be upon graduation. The post-bacc route made sense for me.

But for your specific situation, if dentistry is truly what you aspire to do for a career and you have the financial means (or don't mind taking out more loans), then a masters seems to be a better fit. Do well in the program and you'll be good to go as long as you shine on the DAT as well :thumbup: And if dental school doesn't work out, at least you'll have a masters to fall back on.
Thank you so much for your response!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So you don't dive into the kiddy pool head first and have his realization in 10 years when it's too late, if you are paying for a masters program with student loans, strongly consider your future options and what other careers there may be for you.
Going into dental school if you have undergraduate student loans, and then a $60k-120k grad plus loan for a masters program is going to make life even worse for you following dental school as the interest will continue to accumulate for all of those years.
Dental school is already monstrously expensive and a very large financial risk that will take over a decade to pay off at most schools these days. Adding an expensive masters program can make the debt load even more unbearable

Reactions: 4 users

I do hope no one is wasting money on post bacc to bump from 3.5 to 3.6 haha

Reactions: 8 users
You will need a complete change in study habits or cut out whatever is causing your academics to be at the level it is. I do think it is possible for you to get into dental school eventually, but you would have to prove for a year or so that you can consistently achieve at a high level. My recommendation would be to apply the cycle after the one you're planning (you can also apply this coming cycle just to see what happens, but I wouldn't bank on getting in without a strong consistent showing). It would take a lot of grit, and it would be a tough journey ahead to so dramatically change your academics, but I believe anyone can do well if they are willing to adapt and put in the work. Feel free to message me if you have any further questions. Best of luck

You will need a complete change in study habits or cut out whatever is causing your academics to be at the level it is. I do think it is possible for you to get into dental school eventually, but you would have to prove for a year or so that you can consistently achieve at a high level. My recommendation would be to apply the cycle after the one you're planning (you can also apply this coming cycle just to see what happens, but I wouldn't bank on getting in without a strong consistent showing). It would take a lot of grit, and it would be a tough journey ahead to so dramatically change your academics, but I believe anyone can do well if they are willing to adapt and put in the work. Feel free to message me if you have any further questions. Best of luck
I really appreciate your advice, thank you! I am looking into different Master's programs - kind of stressful. I live in FL so I would prefer to go for my Master's here but I'm willing to go out-of-state also. Any recommendations?

Take as many upper division science courses as you can and aim for A's in your last 3 semesters. If possible, take additional coursework in the Summer to pull out another 1-2 science A's.

Do well on the DAT and you should be okay.

Also you're going to have to retake Biochem, it's a prereq at most schools I believe. But if you have particular schools you're interested in - check to see if it is. I would recommended taking it over again regardless since it's a pretty important course, regardless of it being mandatory or not.

I really appreciate your advice, thank you! I am looking into different Master's programs - kind of stressful. I live in FL so I would prefer to go for my Master's here but I'm willing to go out-of-state also. Any recommendations?
I really do want to stress this to you to watch how much you’re spending before dental school. Are you funding a masters program on student loans? If so that’s not very wise financial choice

I hate to be the party pooping realist but that GPA is super low. I can tell you’re super hard working but at the end of the day Dental Schools are just going to look at your numbers before anything else and your numbers are not there. SDN guys love to say do a post-Bach and pile on more debt etc but most adcoms on here say the exact opposite. From posts I’ve seen, adcoms view post-Bach’s to increase GPA’s as extreme cases. It’s not extreme in a bad way... just extreme in the sense that probably only 1% of people actually do it (despite what it seems like on here).

My honest opinion: You’re walking on serious thin ice. Idc what you gotta do, but you got buckle down and absolutely KILL your next few semesters and your DAT. I’m talking 4.0’s across the board. If you can’t pull both GPA’s over 3.0 by the time this is over, I’d honestly look at alternatives. Most schools will cut your application out regardless what your DAT score is if you don’t hit 3.0 cumulative and 3.0 science, and like I said I’m not a fan of post-Bach’s.

My heart goes out to you man, I never like to hear stories like these. I wish you the best for your next few semesters and your DAT, but don’t get carried away wasting your life and money away chasing Dental school. Sometimes life just happens and you have to go a diff route instead of just standing at a dead end.

Keep on pushing but don’t lose track of reality and don’t let SDN get to your head.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to be the party pooping realist but that GPA is super low. I can tell you’re super hard working but at the end of the day Dental Schools are just going to look at your numbers before anything else and your numbers are not there. SDN guys love to say do a post-Bach and pile on more debt etc but most adcoms on here say the exact opposite. From posts I’ve seen, adcoms view post-Bach’s to increase GPA’s as extreme cases. It’s not extreme in a bad way... just extreme in the sense that probably only 1% of people actually do it (despite what it seems like on here).

My honest opinion: You’re walking on serious thin ice. Idc what you gotta do, but you got buckle down and absolutely KILL your next few semesters and your DAT. I’m talking 4.0’s across the board. If you can’t pull both GPA’s over 3.0 by the time this is over, I’d honestly look at alternatives. Most schools will cut your application out regardless what your DAT score is if you don’t hit 3.0 cumulative and 3.0 science, and like I said I’m not a fan of post-Bach’s.

My heart goes out to you man, I never like to hear stories like these. I wish you the best for your next few semesters and your DAT, but don’t get carried away wasting your life and money away chasing Dental school. Sometimes life just happens and you have to go a diff route instead of just standing at a dead end.

Keep on pushing but don’t lose track of reality and don’t let SDN get to your head.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What happens after a Post-Bach? Post-Mozart?

Reactions: 5 users
I would try and become a computer programmer and make more money at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
If you cannot handle undergrad science, dental school will be impossible as it comes harder and faster. If you are set on health care, there are a lot of other choices out there which are cheaper and in some ways better.

To be blunt, in your current state it's effectively hopeless.
You need to calculate that science GPA. It's very important, and will be much more powerfully affected by your biochemistry grade than your overall GPA.
The usual advice of doing well on the DAT won't cut it.
Your only real shot is a masters, but in your shoes I would look at other career paths. It's not that you can't get in eventually - anyone can if they get an additional degree and get a high GPA while doing so. It's that you will have burned so much time and money chasing this that I imagine you'll regret not just picking a different career path that would allow for around a 3.0 GPA.
I'm guessing that won't be a popular sentiment, or one you want to hear for that matter, but I think it's useful to hear.

Nova's Masters program for dental school is great.
It does seem like a great program, if you have someone to pay for the $70 thousand dollar one year program. If you got in and attended NOVA dental after, you'd be graduating with close to or over $600k in loans by the end of it

Does that 70k take into account living arrangements or is that strictly tuition and fees?

Does that 70k take into account living arrangements or is that strictly tuition and fees?
Tuition and fees looks to be $50k, then I estimated 20k for the living expenses, it is pricey to live in the NOVA Ft. Lauderdale area but 20k should be doable. Remember, there's also going to be 5 or so years of interest on that loan through dental school, so in reality if you spend $70k, it's going to be $95k by the time you graduate dental school, accounting for the 7% interest compounded annually.

There is a point of no return in everything, and after re-reading your initial post, I think you have hit it. If you go on for a masters, go to one of the bridge programs that will give you a nursing degree. NP's are now commanding a respectable living with far less student loan debt, more interstate mobility, lower malpractice premiums, and excellent private sector opportunities in industry (pharma and device). An even cheaper route would be to become a nutritionist or registered dietitian. Excellent opportunities in the diabetes industry with some top pay for essentially a bachelors degree. If all else fails, and you wind up with a bachelors from UF, consider some alternative career paths. Dentistry does not pay enough to service the enormous student loan debt you will accrue, and even with top grades in a masters program, your undergrad record will prevent you from getting into your one state school, leaving you with high tuition at a private school. If you get anything below a B in the masters program, and remember, these will all be upper level science courses which are much harder than undergrad, your tuition and time will have been wasted. You know yourself better than anyone here. Without a bunch of A's on your transcript, you will have nothing to show an ADCOM.
Moving on is often the higher ground. The vast majority of people are not dentists, and live happy productive lives. Dentistry seems like a good job from the outside, but when you get down to it, after more than 30 years, it's just a job, not a calling or a passion. There is much more to life than dentistry.

Reactions: 6 users
Before spending a boat load on applications I would take into consideration the massive debt you will most likely be in after you graduate. Unless you are loaded or your parents are paying the tuition you are going to be digging yourself out of debt for at least a decade. If it were me starting over....I would probably reconsider my decision. Unless you get the HPSP scholarship. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I honestly need some motivation because I just feel like giving up..

I just found out I received a D in Biochem (4 credits) and it totally demolished my overall GPA. I went from a 2.94 to a 2.72. I still have the Spring semester, Summer, and next Fall which is when I graduate. I am planning on studying for the DAT over the Spring semester coming up in January and taking my DAT in June 2019. I was also planning on applying to Dental schools this June for Fall 2020 cycle, but should I even bother? Will I have a chance to raise my GPA in these next 3 semesters?

A little bit of a background story: I earned my AA degree at a state college and I transferred to UF last Fall. Ever since I transferred to UF I've had to re-take 3 classes; those 3 classes being: Orgo 1, Physics 2, and now Biochem. I am retaking Physics 2 in the Spring and I'm planning on retaking Biochem in the Summer. I also have 3 W's on my transcript and I have over 15 C's on my transcript. My overall GPA, like I mentioned above, is currently a 2.72 and I haven't even calculated my science GPA because I fear it's going to be very low since most of my C's are in science courses.

I am in need of honest and good advice on what I should do because I am beyond lost and I feel hopeless at this point.

Thank you

There is always hope and many people will want to give that to you and I do too but we got to look at both ways. There are people with less than 3.0 GPA's getting into dental school and there are those with 3.9 not getting any acceptance. Realistically, with a low GPA you will need to score a very high DAT and have an unique story as to why your grade is so low but this is just increasing your chances from an already really low chance. Looking at what you posted you must change your studying habit or your grades will not improve with the harder classes you'll be taking. Look at how you're studying and change it up. Once you do that and starting understanding how you study best you should look into a master's or post-bacc. At the end of the day it will cost money to improve your application. If you show improvement and increase your grades to the average (with post-bacc or master's) then some schools will see that you are improving and that you really are putting the effort. For the sad truth: If I were in your position I would not apply and look into another career. Unless you can completely change how you study and have the disposable income, there's better careers that you can look into and still make a difference. Not everyone take the easy/normal route and if dentistry is your dream then it will be an arduous route and no one can stop you. I wish you best of luck with your journey.

Hi there! I noticed you said you graduated with a 3.23 and took additional bio classes. Was this at a CC and did you retake courses you may have not done well in or just random upper level bio courses? Because I've been reading a lot on here that dental schools don't necessarily like students taking science pre-reqs there. Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi there! I noticed you said you graduated with a 3.23 and took additional bio classes. Was this at a CC and did you retake courses you may have not done well in or just random upper level bio courses? Because I've been reading a lot on here that dental schools don't necessarily like students taking science pre-reqs there. Thanks for your help in advance!

Hello there! I did not take my additional bio courses at a community college. And yes, I think that's a safe presumption to make that dental schools prefer science pre-requisites not to be taken at a CC. In fact, there are some dental schools (like Tufts) where CC coursework isn't accepted at all. So just to err on the side of caution, I'd suggest taking them at a normal 4 year institution. That's what I did at two different schools.

Luckily both these colleges offered courses I could take at night on campus after work. So if you're working full time, I'd look into colleges near you that offer a continuing education program or an affiliate school of a normal 4 year where you can take classes in the evening. I also was able to take some courses during the day (since the continuing ed didn't offer courses that I needed) with the rest of the undergrad students, but the process for that was different. I emailed the professors beforehand for permission (course code) and I also had to enroll as a non-degree student with the campus registrar. A lot of hoops to jump through, but it worked for me!

And no, I didn't retake any of the science pre-requisites I did poor in, just upper biology courses like biochemistry, microbiology, A&P I & II, immunology, etc. I had some C's and I got one C- my freshmen year in general biology II. C- coursework generally isn't accepted at several schools, but I had other bio courses I did well in that was able to fulfill the requirement on AADSAS. I also did my research and didn't apply to the schools that would absolutely deny my application if they saw the C-. I didn't think it was necessary to retake my C's since they were still acceptable. Not great by any means, but every course I took after my undergrad I got A's in, so I knew my upward trend could make up for my undergrad faults. Kind of risky, but I honestly couldn't be arsed to do a Master's for financial and timing reasons, and I also didn't think an actual post-bacc program was necessary for me since that was more geared towards career changers. But do the route you think is best for your individual needs because my journey may not be suited for yours.

If you have anymore questions, don't be shy and feel free to PM me. :)

Hello there! I did not take my additional bio courses at a community college. And yes, I think that's a safe presumption to make that dental schools prefer science pre-requisites not to be taken at a CC. In fact, there are some dental schools (like Tufts) where CC coursework isn't accepted at all. So just to err on the side of caution, I'd suggest taking them at a normal 4 year institution. That's what I did at two different schools.

Luckily both these colleges offered courses I could take at night on campus after work. So if you're working full time, I'd look into colleges near you that offer a continuing education program or an affiliate school of a normal 4 year where you can take classes in the evening. I also was able to take some courses during the day (since the continuing ed didn't offer courses that I needed) with the rest of the undergrad students, but the process for that was different. I emailed the professors beforehand for permission (course code) and I also had to enroll as a non-degree student with the campus registrar. A lot of hoops to jump through, but it worked for me!

And no, I didn't retake any of the science pre-requisites I did poor in, just upper biology courses like biochemistry, microbiology, A&P I & II, immunology, etc. I had some C's and I got one C- my freshmen year in general biology II. C- coursework generally isn't accepted at several schools, but I had other bio courses I did well in that was able to fulfill the requirement on AADSAS. I also did my research and didn't apply to the schools that would absolutely deny my application if they saw the C-. I didn't think it was necessary to retake my C's since they were still acceptable. Not great by any means, but every course I took after my undergrad I got A's in, so I knew my upward trend could make up for my undergrad faults. Kind of risky, but I honestly couldn't be arsed to do a Master's for financial and timing reasons, and I also didn't think an actual post-bacc program was necessary for me since that was more geared towards career changers. But do the route you think is best for your individual needs because my journey may not be suited for yours.

If you have anymore questions, don't be shy and feel free to PM me. :)

Ahhhhh thank you so so so much for your response! I am in the exact same boat and so lost. I received a C- in physics 1 because it was my first quarter as a transfer at a UC school and I was so lost. In addition, my school only required up to Ochem 1 to graduate so I am lacking in those two categories. I figured I'd take them at my local CC since I moved back home but I never even knew there was such a thing as continuing education programs. I'll definitely look more into that. I just worry so much over my GPA because most responses I've gotten on here have been pushing for a masters which is probably a great route but it also costs almost 80k which I do not have the funds for. Also out of curiosity (if you don't mind sharing), how many volunteer hours did you apply with? I contacted Western Dental and they said if you lack in the GPA area then it would be ideal to have 800-1000 hours of volunteer work.

Ahhhhh thank you so so so much for your response! I am in the exact same boat and so lost. I received a C- in physics 1 because it was my first quarter as a transfer at a UC school and I was so lost. In addition, my school only required up to Ochem 1 to graduate so I am lacking in those two categories. I figured I'd take them at my local CC since I moved back home but I never even knew there was such a thing as continuing education programs. I'll definitely look more into that. I just worry so much over my GPA because most responses I've gotten on here have been pushing for a masters which is probably a great route but it also costs almost 80k which I do not have the funds for. Also out of curiosity (if you don't mind sharing), how many volunteer hours did you apply with? I contacted Western Dental and they said if you lack in the GPA area then it would be ideal to have 800-1000 hours of volunteer work.

No problem! Yeah, that's why I didn't pursue a Masters either. The expenses were too much for me. But if you do the whole postbacc courses route, be sure you do well in all your courses from here on out. What's your GPA like for overall and science? PM me if you want to speak privately for those details. As for volunteering hours, I accumulated somewhere between 500-600. I actually had an interview from Western back in November. I also had lots of dental experience under my belt from shadowing and working as an assistant, so I think that helped to supplement my application.

No problem! Yeah, that's why I didn't pursue a Masters either. The expenses were too much for me. But if you do the whole postbacc courses route, be sure you do well in all your courses from here on out. What's your GPA like for overall and science? PM me if you want to speak privately for those details. As for volunteering hours, I accumulated somewhere between 500-600. I actually had an interview from Western back in November. I also had lots of dental experience under my belt from shadowing and working as an assistant, so I think that helped to supplement my application.

Oh that's super cool that you got an interview from Western! I'm jealous :) My overall dental GPA came out to a 3.12 which completely discouraged me. I have not calculated my science GPA though because when I was on the AADEA website it said that it included "Other science courses" and being a science major, I had a lot of other science courses so I wasn't too positive on that.

The institute I got my postbacc degree from also offers bachelors degree, so that worked in my favor as well. So I didn't have to apply to masters programs and pay over $60k to take some upper division courses and dental prerequisites.