Can I get a dog?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorpio23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I really need some help rationalizing this issue. I am a dog lover and have been waiting for the right time to finally get a puppy. Right now I am done with school and I am just waiting for graduation in May and intern year in June. I was thinking of getting a shih tzu or a yorkie now that I am free. This gives me about two months to work with it and attempt to litter train it, so it doesn't have to be outside to poop. The dog will probably spend about 6 hours alone everyday, until my bf comes home from work. We are active people, I personally jogged everyday throughout medical school....even while on the difficult rotations, so the dog will definitely be outside playing everyday. I will be living in an apartment, hence a smaller dog.

So......do any of you residents out there have dogs? If you do, how do you manage?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I keep asking myself these same questions and continually come to the conclusion it's a bad idea to do. I love dogs and always had one until I started med-school so it's killing me. That said, I know I wouldn't be able to provide the attention a dog would need at this point.

I'm considering goldfish instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys, I really need some help rationalizing this issue. I am a dog lover and have been waiting for the right time to finally get a puppy. Right now I am done with school and I am just waiting for graduation in May and intern year in June. I was thinking of getting a shih tzu or a yorkie now that I am free. This gives me about two months to work with it and attempt to litter train it, so it doesn't have to be outside to poop. The dog will probably spend about 6 hours alone everyday, until my bf comes home from work. We are active people, I personally jogged everyday throughout medical school....even while on the difficult rotations, so the dog will definitely be outside playing everyday. I will be living in an apartment, hence a smaller dog.

So......do any of you residents out there have dogs? If you do, how do you manage?

Thanks in advance!!

Have you considered rescuing a slightly older dog? A dog that's 2 or 3 years old will be able to tolerate being home alone for 6-8 hours better than a puppy will. Plus, a dog that age will definitely be able to run with you / keep up and play.

I thought about getting an older dog but thought it maybe harder for it to make a transition to being with me. I don't expect the puppy to be outside jogging..lol. I made that comment just to emphasize that I am not a couch potatoe and that I am still motivated to do other things after a long days work. Thanks for the suggestions though..

I thought about getting an older dog but thought it maybe harder for it to make a transition to being with me. I don't expect the puppy to be outside jogging..lol. I made that comment just to emphasize that I am not a couch potatoe and that I am still motivated to do other things after a long days work. Thanks for the suggestions though..

I have a smallish terrier mix (~20 lbs), and she can keep up with me just fine if the weather is cool enough. So, a puppy may not be able to keep up, but I bet an adult dog that's small could sometimes.

At any rate, I think rescue animals are very underrated. My wife and I have had our dog for about 2 years now. She was 3 when we got her, and was a bit timid, but never ever snappy or mean. She's more friendly now to strangers and guests, and I've never regretted getting an adult dog. A puppy is just so much work with housetraining and all the extra energy.

6 hours alone is actually really good, that's less time alone than people with regular jobs and dogs. However I would think about it carefully if you are going to be dependent on your boyfriend to help you with your dog (is it your dog or "our" dog, how serious is the relationship etc.) When I broke up with my SO I had to hire someone to look after my dog when I was on call and she had to wait a little longer for her evening bathroom break.

I would say that getting a slightly older dog isn't a bad idea. My husband and I fostered many dogs in the past couple of years for a local rescue and it's hard work having a puppy in the house. Starting internship with a puppy is not something I'd want to do.

Our adopted rescue dog was 1-2 years old when we got him (after spending 7 months in the shelter) and while the transition wasn't as fast as it might've been if he was a puppy, he's totally fine and happy now.

Either way please adopt a rescued dog! there are lots of great dogs out there waiting for homes :)

Get a cat.

I love dogs but having a dog + internship sounds pretty intense. I was told that it is almost like having a kid...but if your bf (or even better, husband) is willing to take the majority of the responsibility, then perhaps it is not a bad idea to have an adult dog (like mentioned before). You'll have the time to help him/her make the transition to a new environment before residency starts, too.

I am thinking about getting a cat...I mean, if I get an adult cat now, by the time I finish training, he/she will be old enough so that I can get a dog as an attending.

No, no no no no no no.

Internship is the time to be an intern. You shouldn't get married or get divorced or have a baby or ... dear god ... get a puppy.

Seriously, if you HAVE to do this
a) rent a house and
b) get a grown dog

No, no no no no no no.

Internship is the time to be an intern. You shouldn't get married or get divorced or have a baby or ... dear god ... get a puppy.

Seriously, if you HAVE to do this
a) rent a house and
b) get a grown dog

I think most of you are hating. I think you should get a dog because they are great animals, even though you are about to start your internship. I wouldn't lean toward a puppy route and would second the notion that they are like a kid. I think you should do whatever you feel is right for your family regardless of what is said on a message board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most of you are hating. I think you should get a dog because they are great animals, even though you are about to start your internship. I wouldn't lean toward a puppy route and would second the notion that they are like a kid. I think you should do whatever you feel is right for your family regardless of what is said on a message board.

Not hating, Dude.

Just layin' out for you the reality of internship/residency.

That time in your life is a hard gig.

I love dogs.

I'm currently dogless, but plan on landing a female doberman when the time is right.

Already named her.

CHLOE.:love:

Won't bring her home, tho, until the time is right.

Thats my message.

Wait for the right time.

Internship/residency....you're kidding yourself if you think you can provide a loving, interactive environment for a dog.

Most days Fido will be crossing her legs awaiting your late return, trying in vain not to pee pee on your carpet.

Thanks for the input guys...I guess I have more details to iron out!!

i agree no puppy and adopt a dog. plan on getting a dog walker. i am a super busy resident and have dogs but i have a great dog walker...

Don’t get a puppy!!!!!!!!!!! I got a dog during medical school while in NYC, a rescue that was playing the lottery of being put down or being lucky enough to find a home that was better than dog heaven. If you can promise this dog a good walk once a day (and occasional quick outside bathroom and sniffing around expeditions), good food and attention when you are home than by all means rescue a dog. Look at it this way, even though you may be busy but can provide a home to a dog that is currently in a shelter (dog jail/hell) and you honestly believe that he/she will be happier and better off, than it’s a no brainer; if it makes you happy it will likely make Fido happy too. My dog (who was about 3 when I got her) is the best, 7 years later and 2 kids later she is still an important part of my life and family. I get up a little earlier than I have to get to work to male sure that she starts the day with a walk (and an empty bowel/bladder). Also make sure your BF is on board 100%.

My neighbor, a resident, and his girlfriend got a dog after dating for like 3 years. They broke up weeks later and now he has a dog that is home alone too much.

If you are definately going to stay with your boyfriend, then I say go for it.

I got two dogs and got married during residency and have no regrets about either.

If you want or need a specific breed, then get a puppy. Adopting dogs is nice and everything, but acting superior about it isn't. We tried to adopt a dog from some guy dying of cancer and the dog adoption lady said we weren't experienced enough pet owners!

If you haven't had a dog of your own before, I mean that your parents didn't look after when you were a kid, know that it is a significant amount of work.

It can get expensive but you could take the dog to "doggy daycare" during the day for like $20/day. My wife's schedule works well with mine so we are able to do it but we occasionally take our dog to one of these places and he loves all the interaction and play with the other dogs. But a puppy or a new dog all on your own would be pretty difficult.

I thought about getting an older dog but thought it maybe harder for it to make a transition to being with me.

You're talking about a dog with a little dumb dog brain. Make a few stupid faces at it, go woof-woof a few times, and toss it a treat. That will take you all of 75 seconds and the transition will be complete.

If only women were that simple.

It can get expensive but you could take the dog to "doggy daycare" during the day for like $20/day. My wife's schedule works well with mine so we are able to do it but we occasionally take our dog to one of these places and he loves all the interaction and play with the other dogs. But a puppy or a new dog all on your own would be pretty difficult.

Doggie daycares don't open early enough for you to drop them off in the morning. This is not an option!

I waited until after residency, and then I got a puppy, my first. Man it was A LOT of work!!! I definitely would not get one during residency!

Doggie daycares don't open early enough for you to drop them off in the morning. This is not an option!

I waited until after residency, and then I got a puppy, my first. Man it was A LOT of work!!! I definitely would not get one during residency!

Yeah, mine allows drop offs at 6:30am and my wife helps a good deal with that... this is usually doable in your PGY1 year if you do a preliminary medicine (or transitional) year. This would be tough to do in a prelim surgery year or as a CA1-3.

Do not be selfish and do not get any animals, which might need your attention constantly, as dogs or cats do, finish residency, then - maybe ))))