Can nursing courses be classified as BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The majority of our lower level sciences are in the chemistry or biology department, but the upper level courses which are substantially harder are in the nursing department, but they're literally all biology based (I'm referring to clinical rotations & pharmacology) and they're harder than my pre med classes (also higher course level if that makes a difference)

So would it be considered under the BCPM umbrella (I've don't my pre med pre reqs separately)

Members don't see this ad.

^ But nursing majors do need to take anatomy and physiology, and if she's taking those then that has to count as BCPM, as well as the Stats class that nursing majors take as well.

My prerequisites were counted in my science GPA. My nursing classes were not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ But nursing majors do need to take anatomy and physiology, and if she's taking those then that has to count as BCPM, as well as the Stats class that nursing majors take as well.
If it's listed as a nursing course I think it still goes under HEAL? I think they really only want classes under BCPM departments going into BCPM GPA (with occasional exception for things listed under Pysch that are heavily stats/neuro based)

The majority of our lower level sciences are in the chemistry or biology department, but the upper level courses which are substantially harder are in the nursing department, but they're literally all biology based (I'm referring to clinical rotations & pharmacology) and they're harder than my pre med classes (also higher course level if that makes a difference)

So would it be considered under the BCPM umbrella (I've don't my pre med pre reqs separately)
Some courses such as stats, and anatomy. But the others, no.

Would Microbiology in the nursing school not count?

If it's listed as a nursing course I think it still goes under HEAL? I think they really only want classes under BCPM departments going into BCPM GPA (with occasional exception for things listed under Pysch that are heavily stats/neuro based)

No, our courses in my university that are considered lower division nursing sciences (microbiology, a&p I and II, and pathophysiology) are under biology and open to everyone. I was just asking about the upper level classes (like 400-500 level) that are in the nursing department but it makes more sense that they're considered HEAL courses.

Probably not. Since the curriculum is heavily watered down for nursing students.

In my university the microbiology for nurses is in the bio department but only offered in the spring, whereas the one for bio majors/pre-meds is a higher level and in the fall, but it's actually a good way to get around taking a harder class since there is no indication it's a nursing class (the course number are still both 300s) and our professor said in the past med schools have taken it (but that's considered a bio so it makes sense for it to fall under BCPM)

Can you use a nutrition professor as a non-science recommendation then?

You can classify the last one as BCPM and AMCAS will change it if it doesnt fit; there is no penalty for doing so
Something something game theory something.

Are you asking me if that could be BCPM via mathematical . Game theory is primarily a social science, so no.
I was more commenting on the fact that since there's no penalty for doing so, the game theory answer would be to categorize it however would suit you best in hopes that it doesn't get changed.

Are you asking me if that could be BCPM via mathematical . Game theory is primarily a social science, so no.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive and @freak7 would probably disagree. But now i feel compelled to post this again

1469977700-20160731.png

Reactions: 2 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive and @freak7 would probably disagree. But now i feel compelled to post this again

1469977700-20160731.png

Game theory uses applied mathematics to describe the behaviors or predicted behaviors of individual or collective agents. One of its main uses is in describing social behavior; however, that does not discount its mathematical nature or origins, especially considering many of its pioneers were mathematicians (and continue to be), including the great John Nash, for whom the Nash Equilibrium is named.

It's application to biological systems is a branch of GT that we call Evolutionary Game Theory, which tends to be more heavily mathematical, as it is often used to describe tumor growth, treatment efficacy, species competition, etc.

So as someone whose capstone project was in game theory and who is actively involved in research in game theory, I won't say that it isn't a social science. But that doesn't mean it isn't also mathematical or biological (or both!).

for purposes of AMCAS, game theory is typically classified in social science
Game theory uses applied mathematics to describe the behaviors or predicted behaviors of individual or collective agents. One of its main uses is in describing social behavior; however, that does not discount its mathematical nature or origins, especially considering many of its pioneers were mathematicians (and continue to be), including the great John Nash, for whom the Nash Equilibrium is named.

It's application to biological systems is a branch of GT that we call Evolutionary Game Theory, which tends to be more heavily mathematical, as it is often used to describe tumor growth, treatment efficacy, species competition, etc.

So as someone whose capstone project was in game theory and who is actively involved in research in game theory, I won't say that it isn't a social science. But that doesn't mean it isn't also mathematical or biological (or both!).
Ummm guys?... I was making a joke. It had nothing to do with GT's AMCAS classification.

Reactions: 1 users
for purposes of AMCAS, game theory is typically classified in social science

Oh, I'm sure. I mean I guess if it were in the math department and really mathematical it could be classified that way. I feel like most courses on it though are either economics or social science.