Can only find outpatient volunteer work.. will that be okay?

Started by 8MoreReps
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8MoreReps

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is hard enough just to find ANY volunteer work, will it hurt me that much if I just volunteer at 2-3 different outpatient places?

Also, I didn't get a chance to ask for a letter of recommendation personally at the last place I volunteered, so would it be okay if I email the PT asking if they would be willing to write one once it is time to apply to schools (applying next summer)?
 
It is hard enough just to find ANY volunteer work, will it hurt me that much if I just volunteer at 2-3 different outpatient places?

Also, I didn't get a chance to ask for a letter of recommendation personally at the last place I volunteered, so would it be okay if I email the PT asking if they would be willing to write one once it is time to apply to schools (applying next summer)?

Unless the program has specific requirements usually OP is fine. Almost all of my hours were OP ortho, but check with nursing homes and rehab center, they usually let students observe.
 
Yeah, there shouldn't be a problem with emailing or calling and asking. You can also try an outpatient Neuro clinic, still outpatient, but its considered a different setting if the programs you're applying to require more than one
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, there shouldn't be a problem with emailing or calling and asking. You can also try an outpatient Neuro clinic, still outpatient, but its considered a different setting if the programs you're applying to require more than one

I mean I am a little hesitant because I only volunteered with this PT for like 11 hours. And if I do email should I ask now or wait til a few months before applying in the summer of 2013?
 
I mean I am a little hesitant because I only volunteered with this PT for like 11 hours. And if I do email should I ask now or wait til a few months before applying in the summer of 2013?
I'd recommend trying to get a recommendation from a PT you've been with for at least 50 hours. They won't lie in their recommendations, and it'll hard for them to truly recommend someone they hardly know.

Anyway, I don't believe anyone commenting here is part of an admissions committee, and neither am I. So I'm not going to pretend I know for a fact how much schools care about inpatient experience. However, my perception, based on what I've learned from the schools I've asked about, is that they want to see varied experience. I don't think that necessarily means inpatient is required. I only had ~2 hours inpatient experience, whereas the other 500 hours were outpatient and I still got an acceptance.
 
I feel that letters of rec are a huge part of the application, especially the ones coming from PTs. I only had experience in one outpatient setting, but I had around 3500 hours over 3 and a half years which gave both of the therapists writing my letters of rec an opportunity to actually see me grow and learn about the profession. It also allowed us to get to know each other on a personal level outside of PT. Variety of experience is good, but if you find a place where you can build a good relationship with the PT, get in as many hours as you can at that place and develop a solid relationship with the PTs who are going to write your letters. Admissions committees are now going through roughly 1000 applicants because of PTCAS, and I'm sure it is very easy for them to detect sincerity in letters of rec.
 
Definitely get the LOR from someone you have spent time with recently... it isn't difficult to find somewhere to knock out 25+ hours over a week or more and build a rapport with the PT.
 
I'd recommend trying to get a recommendation from a PT you've been with for at least 50 hours. They won't lie in their recommendations, and it'll hard for them to truly recommend someone they hardly know.

...my perception, based on what I've learned from the schools I've asked about, is that they want to see varied experience.

Totally agree. Only one of the schools I applied to required inpatient observation hours. Regardless of this, I am very glad I got to have the experience; inpatient is a lot different than outpatient (at least from my experience) and I'm glad I got to see what goes on with IP. It also made some very interesting speaking points in my interviews because you see so many different scenarios in IP, especially if you get a chance to observe a PT working ICU. It also gave me a whole other realm of respect for PTs.
 
It’s all about the school. Some schools I applied to required inpatient hours. Other schools didn't require any hours at all....So I think the answer is "it depends" however unsatisfying that is.
 
I mean I am a little hesitant because I only volunteered with this PT for like 11 hours. And if I do email should I ask now or wait til a few months before applying in the summer of 2013?

You should hesitate before doing this. 11 hours is much too short a time for anyone to make a meaningful recommendation. In addition, they aren't likely going to remember you a few months after you were there let alone more than a year later. It's not personal; there are just too many faces (patients, students, volunteers, etc) coming through any clinic to remember.

Since you have more than a year before you start applying, why not start volunteering somewhere now that you can commit to consistently for the next year, then ask for a recommendation. The rec will be significantly more meaningful and it shows commitment on your part as well. In addition, nearly every hospital in existence has its own volunteer department that you should be able to contact directly to set up a placement. I would explore that route before declaring it too hard to find. There are clinics and hospitals out there desperate for volunteer help!
 
Hey the VA medical center always wants volunteers and its inpatient. They have a PT area too.