Can We Stop The "I'm Better Than You" Signature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It never even occurred to me that those signatures would be seen as evidence of a lack of humility.
More of a tally...

To be MD (as a handle) could also be seen as presumptuous by that standard!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 26 users
I've always told myself that if I can hang with the stats of SDNers, I was doing okay. I've always liked seeing stats :cat:

Reactions: 1 user
This is so classic of our generation. You feel triggered because someone else's success or preference makes you feel not great about yourself, and so everyone else must change to conform to your preferences so your feelings are not hurt. That's not how adults respond to things.

Turn off signatures and move on.
This is why my generation sucks. Cause everybody walks around getting triggered by stupid things. Guess what? A lot of people in this world are flat out better than you, and that okay. Should they brag about it? I guess its their right to, so who cares if the exercise that right. The sooner everybody realizes that everybody is created equal, BUT WE ARE NOT EQUAL because we all distinguish ourselves for better or worse the world will be much less insecure and we won't have to listen to triggered people whine anymore.

Why do threads involving an honest criticism of an issue have to collapse into a typical slam on millennials?

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This humble brag thing as to stop. When I was a senior in college, a classmate of mine (top pre-med my year) posted it all over his fb. Every. single. status. Ever y time he checked in. I believe, in the end, it was 30 MD Programs, 30 II, 30 interviews attended, 27 acceptances, and 3 waitlists which ultimately didn't let him in. Don't worry, he ended up just fine. I can only assume it gets worse.

To be MD is probably that hater (stands by the adductor machine) at the gym that watches me add another plate to my set. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
14789132.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Why do threads involving an honest criticism of an issue have to collapse into a typical slam on millennials?

They have a point. Many times my generation looks for ANY REASON to be offended.

This humble brag thing as to stop. When I was a senior in college, a classmate of mine (top pre-med my year) posted it all over his fb. Every. single. status. Ever y time he checked in. I believe, in the end, it was 30 MD Programs, 30 II, 30 interviews attended, 27 acceptances, and 3 waitlists which ultimately didn't let him in. Don't worry, he ended up just fine. I can only assume it gets worse.
Haha I think that's just blatant bragging at that point. The "humble brag" is a very subtle art. Speaking of art, that reminds me that I didn't have time to see the Art Institute of Chicago because I was interviewing at Pritzker and Northwestern on the same day. Ugh, talk about annoying!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm just happy this thread has been active and entertaining all the way up until the Dallas Cowboys game.

I'd rather see someone's stats in their signature than have to navigate through 87 pages of a school thread or click through to a different site. *shrug*

But this not posting stats because of humility? Is it acceptable for someone to have the following signature or is this still an "obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how great you are?"

GPA: 3.53 // MCAT 501 // 35 Apps Submitted // 18 Secondaries // 4 II's // 1 Acceptance // 12 Rejections

Is there an acceptable MCAT score that you can post in your signature before it is considered obnoxious? What's the cutoff for II's? Anything more than 5 and it's humblebragging?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Signing his emails with that would be obnoxious. Posting on a PRE-MED forum aimed at helping pre-meds get into medical school? Really not that obnoxious. Helpful, even.

This whole "better than you" deal seems to be more an issue with the mindset of the reader rather than the mindset of the poster. It's obnoxious to be asked time after time "what are your stats?" during an app cycle when you're active in the school-specific discussions, and it's just simpler to throw it in the signature. Less about bragging, more about giving context to posts about the application cycle.

stats?

Reactions: 13 users
I'd rather see someone's stats in their signature than have to navigate through 87 pages of a school thread or click through to a different site. *shrug*

But this not posting stats because of humility? Is it acceptable for someone to have the following signature or is this still an "obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how great you are?"

GPA: 3.53 // MCAT 501 // 35 Apps Submitted // 18 Secondaries // 4 II's // 1 Acceptance // 12 Rejections

Is there an acceptable MCAT score that you can post in your signature before it is considered obnoxious? What's the cutoff for II's? Anything more than 5 and it's humblebragging?

As I wrote, I would just save it for MDapps.

Nowhere did I write, in any way shape or form, that (1) there should be cutoffs for behavior for the trend that I hope to see disappear or (2) this is a "rule" that needs to be "enforced".
It never even occurred to me that those signatures would be seen as evidence of a lack of humility.
More of a tally...

To be MD (as a handle) could also be seen as presumptuous by that standard!

Well here I am saying that wearing your stats on your sleeves isn't humble, and I won't take the bait on the second part of your post.

Hmmm now I'm curious...

I wonder who has the SDN record for the most successful application season??

Ie has anyone ever gone 20 for 20?? (20 applications and 20 acceptances).
Not 20 for 20, but this is pretty damn stellar:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=24705
I feel your pain my friend...

I got interviews from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD but never got one from Stanford. Every time my premed friends talked about their Stanford interviews and living in sunny Palo Alto I had to try and hold back the tears. It wasn't just the pain of being rejected by my top choice school (I still love you Stanford) but also the overwhelming feeling of shame because "I just wasn't good enough." Some people will never understand.

They say time heals all wounds, but the scars remain.
I think UCSF gives Stanford a run for its money (in terms of beauty), especially if you include the Mission Bay campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you just jealous that my signature says I have 23 interviews from prestigious McDonalds locations?
I like to make this information public to (1) show everyone my McApp was clearly superior, (2) to inspire premeds that such things are attainable if one works hard

Reactions: 11 users
are you just jealous that my signature says I have 23 interviews from prestigious McDonalds locations?
I like to make this information public to (1) show everyone my McApp was clearly superior, (2) to inspire premeds that such things are attainable if one works hard
You know how long I debated whether or not to tag you in this thread? Glad the cavalry has arrived :laugh:

Yeah, but there is some guy who got II's from those three Mcdonalds that you didnt. Would you be offended if they listed them?

Yeah, but there is some guy who got II's from those three Mcdonalds that you didnt. Would you be offended if they listed them?

Probably yes... if one of them had a renovated PlayPlace.

Not really. I have II from the most prestigious McDonalds locations (the ones next to Harvard, Stanford, and Yale). those 3 pre-II rejections are my mistake. I didnt know those 3 locations actually background check their applicants lol
but, I'd be VERY offended if someone got an II from Burger King and put it as their signature. I didnt even apply to BK because I didnt meet their stringent CARS and LOR requirements

Reactions: 2 users
I had my stats in my signature because I did not want to answer "stats?" every time and I wanted to show others with a below average GPA that they have a shot too. It is not only the 3.9 515 people who go to med school. That said, I will keep it in my signature knowing that OP is bothered by it because why not

---

Again, humility should be our standard as future physicians. If you don't care, that's great... I do care. That's why I'm writing. I'm speaking from the POV of a fellow applicant who thinks posting stats is great... on mdapps.

My point, and I think a few others' is that those with their stats in their signature don't care if you care. The internet is not a safe space and it is not the duty of the masses to cater to one person making a choice to be offended by something trivial.

Reactions: 5 users
Do a majority of the newer users on this site even know about MDapps or that you can click on the avatar and be directed there? I'd bet that a poster without the stats in the signature and an MDapps profile like you suggested would still get tons of "stats?" questions any time they posted. Are they then supposed to be pretentious and repeatedly respond "check my mdapps" or repeatedly give their stats. Throwing it in your signature is easier in every way.

Do a majority of the newer users on this site even know about MDapps or that you can click on the avatar and be directed there? I'd bet that a poster without the stats in the signature and an MDapps profile like you suggested would still get tons of "stats?" questions any time they posted. Are they then supposed to be pretentious and repeatedly respond "check my mdapps" or repeatedly give their stats. Throwing it in your signature is easier in every way.

MDapps hasn't even been updated for the new MCAT. I use it, but there aren't very many active profiles.

I had my stats in my signature because I did not want to answer "stats?" every time and I wanted to show others with a below average GPA that they have a shot too. It is not only the 3.9 515 people who go to med school. That said, I will keep it in my signature knowing that OP is bothered by it because why not

Why isn't your GPA in your siggy?

Jesus Christ you guys are seriously overreacting to this. How many of you are with the crowd bitching over athletes and rappers being arrogant?

Howdy SDN,

I'm not sure how this got started, but it has become quite common for pre-med applicants to have something like this in their signatures:

GPA: 3.95 // MCAT 521 (99th %ile) // 35 Apps Submitted // 28 Secondaries // 10 II's // 4 Acceptances // 3 Rejections

With kindness and respect, I'd like to communicate to everyone that this is, quite possibly, the most audaciously obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how great you are. If you want to record your application process, that's great! We have the website http://www.mdapplicants.com/ for that, and you are welcome to attach your profile to your avatar. Then, if someone's interested in how you're doing, she or he clicks on you, and the world gets to see how your cycle's going.

Yet, for most people (including Lurker John + Janie that use this website without making accounts), it's just a very forward way to say "look how great I am."

Yes, we are Student Doctor Network: The World's Most Neurotic Website, and we are all happy to see II's and acceptances once they happen on the specific thread of the school you have applied to. That being said, there is next-to-no benefit of wearing your acceptances & IIs on your sleeve in a public signature.

----

I'm sure most people just got caught up with the trend and are not trying to humble-brag their way to SDN renown. But, I'll be one to say... let's stop this.
Nothing says douche like that signature

Nothing says douche like that signature

On par with bringing padfolios with huge, shiny school logos on them to interviews and bragging about where you went to school (usually the first thing out of their mouths).

I am curious of what you expect those people to say when asked where they goes schools. Isn't common, at least in group interviews, people start conversations with question like, where are you from or where do you go school? How exactly did they brag about where they went school? like, I go to Harvard, oh, btw, Harvard is the most amazing school in the world and yeah the hardest school to get into, blah blah?

There's a difference between answering a question and starting a conversation just to name drop your UG.

To be MD is probably that hater (stands by the adductor machine) at the gym that watches me add another plate to my set. :laugh:

I would love to brag about my bench press on an anonymous internet forum, but I won't.

I'm sure your avatar & name make you the hulk
My point, and I think a few others' is that those with their stats in their signature don't care if you care. The internet is not a safe space and it is not the duty of the masses to cater to one person making a choice to be offended by something trivial.

Didn't say the internet was a safe space. I did post to try and help prevent people on this forum from, possibly unknowingly, looking like showy jerk offs with their sig.

The stereotypical "IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD MAN" response that you and 20+ SDNers throw at me doesn't address that it is a silly, showy behavior.

If you don't like that I don't like it, that's fine. "IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD MAN. Not everyone has to agree with you on the internet."

Last edited:
I wish I could brag with my signature, but my cycle is getting worse every day :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this got started, but it has become quite common for pre-med applicants to have something like this in their posts:

"Hello SDN, I am so humble that not only do I not post my stats or app details in my signature, I let the world know this, and I try to make others feel guilty about doing it due to my own inadequacies."

With kindness and respect, I'd like to communicate to everyone that this is, quite possibly, the most audaciously obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how humble you are. If you don't want to record your application process, that's great! We have the website www.toohumbleforhumble-brag.net/ for that, and you are welcome to attach your profile to your avatar. Then, if someone's interested in how humble you are, she or he clicks on you, and the world gets to see how humble you are by not telling us how your cycle's going.

Yet, for most people (including Lurker John + Janie that use this website without making accounts), it's just a very forward way to say "look how humble I am."

Yes, we are Student Doctor Network: The World's Most Neurotic Website, and we are all happy to see people who feel they are above those who post stats/app details on the pre-allo forum. That being said, there is next-to-no benefit of wearing your humility-notsohumility on your sleeve in a public forum.

----

I'm sure most people just got caught up with the trend and are not trying to humble-brag their way to SDN renown. But, I'll be one to say... let's stop this.

Come on guys...

I'm not sure how this got started, but it has become quite common for pre-med applicants to have something like this in their posts:

"Hello SDN, I am so humble that not only do I not post my stats or app details in my signature, I let the world know this, and I try to make others feel guilty about doing it due to my own inadequacies."

With kindness and respect, I'd like to communicate to everyone that this is, quite possibly, the most audaciously obnoxious way of trying to tell our small community how humble you are. If you don't want to record your application process, that's great! We have the website www.toohumbleforhumble-brag.net/ for that, and you are welcome to attach your profile to your avatar. Then, if someone's interested in how humble you are, she or he clicks on you, and the world gets to see how humble you are by not telling us how your cycle's going.

Yet, for most people (including Lurker John + Janie that use this website without making accounts), it's just a very forward way to say "look how humble I am."

Yes, we are Student Doctor Network: The World's Most Neurotic Website, and we are all happy to see people who feel they are above those who post stats/app details on the pre-allo forum. That being said, there is next-to-no benefit of wearing your humility-notsohumility on your sleeve in a public forum.

----

lol

I would love to brag about my bench press on an anonymous internet forum, but I won't.

I'm sure your avatar & name make you the hul

Didn't say the internet was a safe space. I did post to try and help prevent people on this forum from, possibly unknowingly, looking like showy jerk offs with their sig.

The stereotypical "IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD MAN" response that you and 20+ SDNers throw at me doesn't address that it is a silly, showy behavior.

If you don't like that I don't like it, that's fine. "IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD MAN. Not everyone has to agree with you on the internet."

Fair enough. I imagine we could chase our tails all day long on this thread but the consensus seems to be that you're choosing to wear the bacon pants and most people think signatures are no big deal. Maybe even useful.

I kinda see what OP is saying. But I don't think those types of signatures are annoying because they're bragging, per se, but because of this cultural phenomenon of posting our personal information on a little digital banner for everyone to see. I don't quite know how to describe it and I wouldn't say I'm offended or feel oppressed by it... I just think it's bizarre. We tack these useless little snippets of info about ourselves onto every comment we make, like we are expecting that other people - total strangers - will care about it for some reason. People these days are just so eager to throw away their privacy.

Sometimes I wonder how people on SDN lack such fundamental social skills... I just imagine OP sitting at his computer hitting himself in frustration over people posting their stats. It's literally a list of numbers from anonymous people on a website. How are you bothered by this?

I'd be surprised if even 20% of people of this site are honest with their stats/II/etc.

Sometimes I wonder how people on SDN lack such fundamental social skills... I just imagine OP sitting at his computer hitting himself in frustration over people posting their stats. It's literally a list of numbers from anonymous people on a website. How are you bothered by this?

I'd be surprised if even 20% of people of this site are honest with their stats/II/etc.

:laugh:

I especially appreciate the DL in your signature. Apparently self reporting adds two inches to dick length.

GPA 4.2 MCAT 555 DL 23 inches.