Canadian student: USMD, USDO, International?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandprince

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a Canadian student, just graduated from my science undergrad. I am currently in the process of figuring out which route I want to take... it's incredibly stressful.

My cGPA is a 3.65, GPA with lowest year dropped (first year) is a 3.85
MCAT is a 509, currently rewriting.

My extracurriculars are pretty good, but they are mainly community work (not too much clinical besides brief shadowing, and some hospital volunteering).

Currently I am trying to decide what my best options are... I don't want to continue wasting time living for the next application cycle. I have completed 90% of my AMCAS application, however LOR's are my main problem... there is no medical committee where I am, and asking professors who do not personally know me for letters is a bit of a stretch. I feel I would be decently competitive if I lived in USA but not much as an international. My other options would be: USDO (Lots of $$ for someone originally aiming for an M.D.), Ireland medical schools (I have EU citizenship, but also lots of $$), UK medical schools, Polish medical schools, or work retail with my useless degree as I hope for another "chance" the coming year.

Anyone have any advice? Would greatly appreciate any insight anyone has.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You cannot complete AMCAS on time to be "early" if you don't have LORs lined up this year, as an international. Sorry.

Waiting a year is your best option. However, Ireland is actually pretty good too since you'd be eligible for residency there with EU citizenship. (Obviously confirm this, but it seems logical...)

Rule 1: Take A Breath

Wasting time until the next application cycle? Is your goal is to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

You are an international student
Behind on AMCAS submission
Rushing to redo the MCAT already later in the cycle
And seemingly at 22 or so rushing to make any decision that will set the course for the rest of your life to get into any medical school no matter where or how it may impact your chances at residency in what specialty or even being a doctor in your the US or Canada

Can I suggest you not take the MCAT, spend the next several months prepping as well as understanding your options, enhancing your record, getting letters, and apply early next cycle

Or pick any off shore school where your qualifications only are being a warm body and an open checkbook. But do read my extensive analysis about your reduced chances of ever becoming a practicing physician if you do so
I'm not rushing to redo my MCAT, I wrote it last year, writing it again since Canadian applications are due first of October. As for LORs, I have those for volunteer-work, I have messaged a couple professors and they are willing to write me something however as previously mentioned... I don't see how that has any merit considering I've only taken a single class with each. The thing is.. waiting until next cycle to apply means 2 years are slipping away, possibly more if not accepted... which I could be using to get started with my life. I'm going to focus on my Canadian applications, but was looking for a backup to apply to. If I studied in the UK or Ireland, I could still be practicing as a physician, just over there for the time being (Home is wherever you make it, am I right?) Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not rushing to redo my MCAT, I wrote it last year, writing it again since Canadian applications are due first of October. As for LORs, I have those for volunteer-work, I have messaged a couple professors and they are willing to write me something however as previously mentioned... I don't see how that has any merit considering I've only taken a single class with each. The thing is.. waiting until next cycle to apply means 2 years are slipping away, possibly more if not accepted... which I could be using to get started with my life. I'm going to focus on my Canadian applications, but was looking for a backup to apply to. If I studied in the UK or Ireland, I could still be practicing as a physician, just over there for the time being (Home is wherever you make it, am I right?) Anyways, thanks for the replies.
Multiple MCAT scores are viewed differently here...

Multiple MCAT scores are viewed differently here...
My priority is Canada, since an improved MCAT rewrite has considerable chances at helping my application.. that would be my main focus. Not rewriting it practically puts me in the same boat as I was last cycle for Canadian applications.

My priority is Canada, since an improved MCAT rewrite has considerable chances at helping my application.. that would be my main focus. Not rewriting it practically puts me in the same boat as I was last cycle for Canadian applications.
Just making sure you are fully informed.
It does say USMD in the title...

Reactions: 1 user
Just making sure you are fully informed.
It does say USMD in the title...
Sorry!! Forgot to mention i'm also focussed on Canadian schools haha

if you are considering US MD your MCAT rewrite is already behind the curve
Even if my rewrite were a better score? My previous MCAT score was low due to a poor CARS, which is sort of focussed on by several Canadian schools :/

Yes because waiting in your new score will delay your application from initial screening so you will be behind the curve. For US schools really need to be complete with all parts of apps by Sept for international
So my file won't be reviewed until the second MCAT score comes in? I am writing mid-end July (22). Thanks for the info, appreciated.

MCAT is too low for international students. MD is absolutely impossible. DO is also unlikely.
Caribbean school might be your choice if you want to apply to this cycle.

Otherwise, wait for a year.

If you're serious about giving Canada a real shot, that means at least 2-3 cycles. I'm sure you know the 3.65 is likely lethal at schools that look at cGPA, but for the ones that adjust based on your more recent years if you're >3.8 you have a shot. 509 isn't awful, but if you think you can improve your CARS then go ahead, Canadian schools don't care about rewrites.

I think a reasonable plan for any Canadian student is giving Canada 2-3 cycles, and on your last attempt also applying US (unfortunately as others have said that's not looking great for you right now) then Ireland/UK. I also think it would be a big mistake to immediately go international and essentially rule out the possibility of matching to a competitive specialty when you can retake the MCAT, maybe even take a few extra classes to bump up your GPA, and be perfectly competitive in Canada.