Canadian student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladeda08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian undergrad student at Queen's University (going into 3rd year of Health Studies this fall) who's interested in Podiatry. I just have a few questions here for you as I am not entirely familiar with the profession just yet.

First, on average, how many applicants per year does each school receive and how many get accepted? Is it very competitive?

Secondly, tuition is quite expensive. I understand that Canada doesn't have Podiatry colleges so we must go to the States so it is even more expensive for international students such as myself. Is it worth it at the end (financially)? How much on average does a Podiatrist make annually?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

ladeda08 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian undergrad student at Queen's University (going into 3rd year of Health Studies this fall) who's interested in Podiatry. I just have a few questions here for you as I am not entirely familiar with the profession just yet.

First, on average, how many applicants per year does each school receive and how many get accepted? Is it very competitive?

Secondly, tuition is quite expensive. I understand that Canada doesn't have Podiatry colleges so we must go to the States so it is even more expensive for international students such as myself. Is it worth it at the end (financially)? How much on average does a Podiatrist make annually?

Thank you!!

Hey ladeda08,

I am a Canadian student as well, and I had the same questions you have earlier this year....in terms of numbers of applicants...i heard that there is a total of roughly 600 students enrolled in all 8 schools...but i could be wrong...maybe our american friends can help us with that....

in terms of financial rewards of podiatry, yes like any profession in the world, if you are successful you can enjoy a rewarding career...If you are looking at practicing back home in Ontario, you should know that the situation is very different and the scope is MUCH more limited compared to ALL american states...but again, the podiatrists there enjoy what they do and do it well....my best advice for you is to shadow a podiatrist in ontario to get a scope and an idea of what you are getting into....contact the ontario podiatric medicine association through their site: www.opma.ca and find a podiatrist near your location...if you have any questions please feel free to direct them to my attention or private message me....

good luck!

drbeesh said:
Hey ladeda08,

ladeda08,

We started off last year with approximately 108. Out of the 108, I believe 100 were new students and 8 were returning students for one reason or another. By the end of the year, I think we had lost 25-30 people.

I cannot speak for other podiatry programs, but Scholl is quite competitive. According to the director of anatomy, the means and standard deviations of the medical students and podiatry students where not any different statistically. Therefore, I would say it is quite competitive as well.

Several podiatry students received 100% on the combined medical school/podiatry school clinical anatomy exams (Both lab and written).

As far as previous MCAT, GPA, etc, it shouldn't matter what your peers have compared to you. You should just enter the program with the intention to do your best. I have seen people who start to really stress out after discovering they were not at the top of the class in MCAT, GPA, etc. In addition, I have seen people stress out because someone is doing better than them in classes.

Use the "good" type of competitive attitude instead of the "bad". Share accurate information and compete to discover ways to learn new information. Once it is learned, share the method and info. In my opinion, this will keep you sharp in a competitive and friendly manner.

DON'T get mad at someone who doesn't share his/her grades.

Good luck. :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
At NYCPM we started with almost 90 students and are down to 75.

The next graduating class is 59 students. The 2nd year class has 90 some students.

Each year the stats go up which makes it more competative. New York tends to have a friendly atmosphere for sharing notes and info except for a few students. (anywhere in life there are always those people who ruin it for everyone else). We have notetakers in every class that are paid by workstudy and is a free service to the students.

Almost everyone applies to every school since it is one application total for all the schools. I don't think anyone has a cap on enrollment yet except for the number of seats in the class.

keep the questions coming.

Does anyone have an idea of the range of GPA's Podiatric schools accept?

I just found out that the number of accepted students so far for the class of 2009 is about 520. Now add that to the other 3 classes already in school and there should be about 1000 pod students across the country.

Some schools that have never accepted more than 50 students have accepted up to 90 for this semester.

As for the range of GPAs - it depends on your whole package. If one number is low hopefully another is high. If all your numbers are low you might want to re-think it. What is the harm in just applying though. Then you will know for sure.