Cancelling interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnotme

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you holding on to interviews at programs you are not going to end up going and/or ranking, please cancel them!

I am on a number of waitlists and would like to get off of them. It seems people frequently just don't show up, which really does no one any good.

I have cancelled a few out of courtesy to places I don't care for, everyone else I kindly ask you do the same! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

"Make more [] money. This is America."

Seriously, not showing up to interview without canceling is no bueno. Holding onto an interview at a program that you'll never attend/rank also stinks. OTOH, attending or holding onto an interview at a program at which there is a greater than 0% chance of attendance/matching is okay in my book. This isn't charity, and there's no telling how far someone might fall down his/her rank list for any number of reasons.

"Make more [] money. This is America."

Seriously, not showing up to interview without canceling is no bueno. Holding onto an interview at a program that you'll never attend/rank also stinks. OTOH, attending or holding onto an interview at a program at which there is a greater than 0% chance of attendance/matching is okay in my book. This isn't charity, and there's no telling how far someone might fall down his/her rank list for any number of reasons.

Yes, I absolutely agree that people should definitely go on interviews at programs they will consider and/or think of ranking, even if not high on their rank list. But I have been on a number of interviews where people just simply don't show up! It is rude to the program, and it really creates a situation where other applicants could have gone to that interview and now they can't. If you are not going to attend, why not just cancel? Many people can indeed accommodate last minute scheduling. Knowing that you will never go someone for x, y or z reasons and still holding on to interviews, or those people who say hey I have over 20 interviews, I'm only ranking x number of programs, but I'm keeping the interviews is just plain silly.

I even recently talked to someone who told me that he was not going to go to a certain program that shall remain unnamed, but that he was simply going to the interview because he wanted to see what it was like, even thought he was not going to rank it.

I was like seriously? Why do that? It does everyone a disservice.

Yeah, not showing up to an interview without canceling is bush league. I have to think that these people have zero concept of what a job interview means. Do this in IM, and maybe it doesn't matter because it's such a big field. Do this for rad onc residency, fellowship, or in a small enough field and prepare to be branded for life.

Not showing up for a scheduled interview is more than just rude. It can be professionally detrimental. The programs I've been affiliated with made a concerted effort to contact the medical school dean of any student who failed to show for interview.

The Deans were not happy.