Cant find Psych Job in Charleston SC any ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rich10900

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I called every hospital in the area, the VA, MUSC all Psychiatric government facilities etc. Oh and about 20-30 recruiters. Nothing is available. I will be graduating with adult Psych degree in june and wanted a full time job, not locum tenens. Anyone from the area that can shine some light my way? In Connecticut where I am finishing residency and just about everywhere else there are so many options. Oh and it has to be Charleston south carolina as my fiance is doing her medical residency there. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I called every hospital in the area, the VA, MUSC all Psychiatric government facilities etc. Oh and about 20-30 recruiters. Nothing is available. I will be graduating with adult Psych degree in june and wanted a full time job, not locum tenens. Anyone from the area that can shine some light my way? In Connecticut where I am finishing residency and just about everywhere else there are so many options. Oh and it has to be Charleston south carolina as my fiance is doing her medical residency there. Thanks

Academic chairs might not know whether they have positions available until Jan/Feb (since people leaving would have to give their 6 months notice for July 1 by Jan 1). I'd try e-mailing the chair at MUSC with a copy of your CV. If you know someone who knows them, you could offer that person as a reference.

Might you use locum tenens as a back-up? I'd imagine that finding a job after being in the local area and making yourself known might be a little easier than finding one from afar, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the first step should be an introductory email and your CV to heads of departments/clinics/hospitals, then see who bites. I agree, keep locums as a backup. You might also talk with some local private practice docs about the ease of going solo.

I'm easing into the job search myself, though in Los Angeles, a bit larger market ;)

I know some psychiatrists at MUSC have been driving to rural SC a couple times a month to cover hospitals that have no psych attendings. Maybe look for some stuff in the rural areas that are 60 to 90 min drive from Charleston?

When you say "the area" do you just mean Charleston itself, or have you checked mt.pleasant/summerville/west Ashely/North Charleston as well?

Checked with the prison system?

Several places will not hire someone until they have at least two years of post-residency experience. This may be erasing several possible job opportunities that could, for all you know, be quite voluminous.

Don't know if you're still looking but there is an ad for a child or general psychiatric position in Charleston, SC on the classifieds of the Psychiatric News. Was just browsing it today and remembered this post.

Edit: Link might help: http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/site/misc/pnc.xhtml

I know some psychiatrists at MUSC have been driving to rural SC a couple times a month to cover hospitals that have no psych attendings. Maybe look for some stuff in the rural areas that are 60 to 90 min drive from Charleston?

When you say "the area" do you just mean Charleston itself, or have you checked mt.pleasant/summerville/west Ashely/North Charleston as well?

Checked with the prison system?

Ick - North Charleston - the killing ground? Where EMS is armed and wears body armor?

Ick - North Charleston - the killing ground? Where EMS is armed and wears body armor?

In the last 5 years they went from something like 3rd most dangerous city in country to 60-70, so things are getting a tad better

In the last 5 years they went from something like 3rd most dangerous city in country to 60-70, so things are getting a tad better

Or everyone else is getting worse. Detroit sets a whole new standard for the rest of the country with their stats.

Thanks so much for the link to that job, I left a voice mail and really hope I get a call back. There is just nothing available in charleston or within an hour drive, one job at a government clinic in Dorchester and one locum tenens part time 1.5hrs away. I checked the VA, MUSC, palmetto behavioral health, all local hospitals, all government facilities even the military, and sent my CV to them all. Tons of recruiters who say nothing is available. Anyone with suggestions. Don't take this the wrong way I am not whining I just want to keep plugging away and land a decent job. Anyone from the area? With such a large Psych residency where does everyone work after. Thanks for all the reply's its been a big help.

Thanks so much for the link to that job, I left a voice mail and really hope I get a call back. There is just nothing available in charleston or within an hour drive, one job at a government clinic in Dorchester and one locum tenens part time 1.5hrs away. I checked the VA, MUSC, palmetto behavioral health, all local hospitals, all government facilities even the military, and sent my CV to them all. Tons of recruiters who say nothing is available. Anyone with suggestions. Don't take this the wrong way I am not whining I just want to keep plugging away and land a decent job. Anyone from the area? With such a large Psych residency where does everyone work after. Thanks for all the reply's its been a big help.

If you check out MUSC's faculty list they almost all trained at MUSC at some point in their career. Its a really desirable location so I think they mostly offer positions to people internally. (The few people I saw on the list who didn't do some training at MUSC almost always trained at a huge name place)

MUSC probably has the largest residency program in the South, and it is in a small city. Also, most people that train here want to stay. However, solo practitioners do quite well. Consider starting your own practice.