Cardiology 2009 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Wash U yet?

And I know some people have gotten invites from UT Southwestern but has anyone gotten a rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone hear from Indiana University, Uni of Florida-Gainsville?

New IVs: Allegheny Hospital, University of Iowa.

Rejections: A ton

Programs sent out Invitations/rejections so far:

1) Mayoclinic Arizona
2) University of Arizona
3) UCSF
4) Kaiser Permanente
5) UCLA
6) University of Colarado
7) Yale University
8) Connecticut A program
9) Christina Care Delaware
10) George Washington
11) University of Florida-Jacksonville
12) Emory University
13) Northwestern
14) University of Iowa
15) Kansas University
16) John Hopkins
17) university of Maryland
18) Beth Israel
19) Brigham and Women
20) Mass General
21) University of Michigan
22) William Beaumont
23) St. Louis University
24) Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NH
25) Mt .Sinai Urban Community program
26) Duke
27) East Carolina University
28) Wake Forest
29) Cleveland Clinic
30) Ohio state University
31) Oregon Health and Sciences university
32) University of Penn
33) Allegheny Hospital
34) University of Pittsburgh
35) Brown University
36) Vanderbilt University
37) Baylor, Houston
38) Texas Heart
39) UT Houston
40) Texas A&M
41) UT Southwestern
42) Virginia Commonwealth
43) University of Washington
44) University of Wisconsin
:D :laugh: :)
Please feel free to add to this list

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Wash U/B-J. Did people get only 1 date?

Rej: Case Western Metro Health

Yeah, what's up with that? Take it or leave it, I guess. It truly is a seller's market...

Medical College of Wisconsin yesterday
UCSD today

Cornell invite as well. Does anyone know this program's rep? How does it rank with other NY's Big 4 (NYU, Mt. Sinai, Columbia)

I think it goes - Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU ... but it may vary depending on your subspecialty interest.

Add UCSF-Fresno, University of Illinios (Chicago), University of Missouri-Columbia

Anyone receive a rejection from Wash U/B-J yet? I haven't heard anything from them either way... Just curious

cv12, I'm in the same boat, no iv, no rejection yet from WashU.... or at least no rejection yet, though i'm presuming that's what's going to happen....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Joti,
Did UCSF-Fresno send an invite or rejection? Thanks.

cv12, I'm in the same boat, no iv, no rejection yet from WashU.... or at least no rejection yet, though i'm presuming that's what's going to happen....

same boat here too (nothing either way). but i think they mentioned in their letter that you have a week to respond (one of my friends got an interview). that would suggest that maybe they contacted their first tier and will see who responds and proceed down the list.

Ok my anal self got tired of trying to figure out where I haven't heard from yet so I organized by state.

Alabama:

1) UAB

Arizona:
1) Mayo Clinic Arizona
2) University of Arizona

California:
1) UCSF
2) Kaiser Permanente
3) UCLA
4) UCSD
5) UCSF-Fresno

Colorado:
1) University of Colarado

Connecticut:
1) Yale University
2) Connecticut A program

Delaware:
1) Christina Care Delaware

Washington DC:
1) George Washington

Florida:
1) University of Florida-Jacksonville
2) U of Florida-Gainesville

Georgia:
1) Emory University

Illinois:
1) Northwestern
2) Loyola
3) UIC

Indiana:
1) Indiana

Iowa:
1) University of Iowa

Kansas:
1) Kansas University

Maine:
1) Maine Medical Center

Maryland:
1) John Hopkins
2) university of Maryland

Massachusetts:
1) Beth Israel Deaconness
2) Brigham and Women
3) Mass General
4) Tufts - NEMC

Michigan:
1) University of Michigan
2) William Beaumont

Missouri:
1) St. Louis University
2) Wash U – Barnes/Jewish
3) University of Missouri-Columbia

New Hampshire:
1) Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NH

New York:
1) Mt .Sinai Urban Community program
2) NYMC - St Vincent's
3) Cornell
4) SUNY - Stony Brook

North Carolina:
1) Duke
2) East Carolina University
3) Wake Forest
4) University of North Carolina

Ohio:
1) Cleveland Clinic
2) Ohio state University
3) Case Western

Oregon:
1) Oregon Health and Sciences university

Pennsylvania:
1) University of Penn
2) Allegheny Hospital
3) University of Pittsburgh
4) Penn State

Rhode Island:
1) Brown University

Tennessee:
1) Vanderbilt University

Texas:
1) Baylor, Houston
2) Texas Heart
3) UT Houston
4) Texas A&M
5) UT Southwestern

Vermont:
1) University of Vermont

Virginia:
1) Virginia Commonwealth
2) University of Virginia

Washington:
1) University of Washington

Wisconsin:
1) University of Wisconsin
2) Medical College of Wisconsin

Add UCSF-Fresno, University of Illinios (Chicago), University of Missouri-Columbia

Wow . . . three in one day . . . that is impressive, congratulations.

Anyhow, I'm waiting on Wash U as well . . . at least for last year, it seems like they sent out interviews at different times . . . let's keep our fingers crossed.

Oh yeah . . . SUNY-Stonybrook today.

Boston University sent out interviews...they apparently assign you a date without asking for a preference...I think that's kind of rude and now I don't feel like going.

Boston University sent out interviews...they apparently assign you a date without asking for a preference...I think that's kind of rude and now I don't feel like going.

I don't mind as long as they assign a date I would've wanted. :D

Wow . . . three in one day . . . that is impressive, congratulations.

Anyhow, I'm waiting on Wash U as well . . . at least for last year, it seems like they sent out interviews at different times . . . let's keep our fingers crossed.

Actually
USCF (Fresno) - Interview by email (02/11/2008)
UIC Rejection by email (02/12/2008)
U Missouri-Columbia: Interview by email (02/12/2008)

...after the final verdict is rendered for the following programs. Anyone hear about invites/rejections from these?

Columbia (NYC)
U Chicago
Southern Cal
Cedars-Sinai
Georgetown

Same here ... heard from 18, interviews from 10, rejected by 8, waiting for others (Columbia, Stanford, U. Chicago, Mt. Sinai, Jefferson, NYU, Tufts, Boston, Wash U).

Regrets from Vanderbilt

Rejections: Univeristy of Chicago
UC Irvine
UCSD

Does anybody in this forum know about University of Florida-Gainsville, Indiana University, Mayo Clinic? Did they send out interviews/rejections?

If you have any information please share with me.

Joti-

Heard from UF-Gainesville via snail mail last week. Heard from Indiana I think on Feb 1st or somewhere close to that. Both Invites.

Has anyone received rejections from Univ of Maryland, Virgiana or Georgetown? Havent heard anything and looking at the compilation list-appears people have heard from UVA and Maryland.

Rejection from Chicago today.

I have not received word from several programs which have already given out interviews and rejections some time ago. Is there any conventional thinking about this situation-are they just too busy to let me know I'm rejected, or am I on some waiting list, or..... Thanks

I have not received word from several programs which have already given out interviews and rejections some time ago. Is there any conventional thinking about this situation-are they just too busy to let me know I'm rejected, or am I on some waiting list, or..... Thanks

I think you're most likely on a wait list. Programs need to keep a "back up" list in case a number of their initial invites back out.

:thumbdown:from UC Irvine today..

:thumbdown:univ of kansas earlier this month...

not heard from -
ECU
TUFTS
WAKE FOREST
MAYO
JACKSON, FL

UAB and Brown told me that they have not sent out all interview requests already.

UTSW told me that if I have not received any notice, they are still reviewing my application.

Whether this is all BS, I don't know. Maybe they just tell you these things while they wait for the responses of their potential interviewees.

For some sick reason, it's even more exciting for me to turn down interview offers than actually receive invitations.

This process brings out the worst in us all...
I hope all of you get some Cards lovin' on V-day :love:

Maine:
1) Maine Medical Center

I couldn't find a mention of Maine Medical Center in this thread (other than when I posted a question about it earlier). Did you hear from them yourself, cardsboy08? I'm waiting on them in case I need to schedule extra time on a northeast interview trip.

A friend of mine got an invite supposedly. That's the only way I know.

Interview at University of Minnesota

Interviews: UTSW, Baylor, Wisconsin, Iowa, St. Louis University, UMN
Rejections: MGH, Brigham, Duke, BIDMC
Alternate: Northwestern

Still have not heard from: Texas Heart, UMich, Wash U/B-J, UWash

UT Houston, Vanderbilt.

Anyone heard from Ochsner Clinic yet?

UT houston
Univ of cincinati
Georgetown

Mount Sinai Institute

Interviews: UTSW, Baylor, Wisconsin, Iowa, St. Louis University, UMN
Rejections: MGH, Brigham, Duke, BIDMC, Mount Sinai
Alternate: Northwestern

Still have not heard from: Texas Heart, UMich, Wash U/B-J, UWash

Rejection Mt. Sinai here too.

But interview at Cornell.

What's up with that?

Mt. Sinai rejection . . . I like how these emails can be phrased to throw you off with the first line

"On behalf of the Cardiovascular Institute . . .", we would like to REJECT you

Cardsboy,

One thing I've learned is that in the world of CV fellowship, there's no set rule that an interview at a "premier" program means that you'll get an interview at a "not-so-premier" program. In fact, in many cases, it ends up being opposite.

Some of these programs reserve a half or more of their slots for internal applicants, depending on the strength of their residency class, and completely cut or shut down the number of outside applicants they feel they need to interview to fill their class.

They may screen you out, because they haven't had success matching your "kind" to their program in past years (i.e. you're a much better applicant than the average fellow in their program and applicants like you match at better places). They may not feel like interviewing anyone from your residency program, because no one has matched there in years or ever, despite maybe being interviewed and highly ranked in the past. Bottom line: assume nothing and don't take rejection personally.

I've been reading your posts and sounds like you're well off despite not getting a Mt. Sinai interview. I like your chances of ending up at a much better program regardless :D

Crossnmafingers,

Thanks. I figured as much and I was told by my residency people in advance that I'd likely have an uphill battle based on our interview/match history to get into the types of programs I want. However, I have a mix of interviews and rejections from some great programs, so don't have any reason to complain.

We'll see what happens. What does everybody say - have faith in the match? :)

The scientist in me has faith in any process that is automated and comes down to numbers. Yes, the match process has faults, the application process as a whole is terribly painful and stressful. However, with so many applicants, so many programs, and the competitive nature of this fellowship, I feel that the match is the only way to preserve sanity. Can you imagine if you got a fellowship offer at institution A and held it for months, even though you weren't thrilled about it, because you were waiting for a possible offer from institution B. Multiply that by thousands of applicants over hundreds of programs and it's a giant mess.

I still don't completely understand what goes into interview selection. I got an interview from a very reputable program today and got a rejection from a very low-average program just an hour later.

Anyone hear from case western in cleveland?