Cardiothoracic anesthesia (ACTA) fellowship 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys managing interviews with work? Is your program letting you take those days off? What if you have like 15 interviews, how would you approach your PD about that?

Members don't see this ad.

You had to email it to them on top of it already being in the app?
Yea isn’t that standard for all SF match apps? They sent you an email because you were missing yours when you applied or what?

Baylor people any ties to Texas?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys managing interviews with work? Is your program letting you take those days off? What if you have like 15 interviews, how would you approach your PD about that?
When I was applying for fellowship, my program allowed me to use vacation days. Things got much easier when it turned to virtual interviews due to covid in the middle of the cycle, and I just scheduled them on post-call days. Given that it is all virtual now, hard to imagine not being able to fit 15 interviews in a span of 3 months between post-call days and a few vacation days sprinkled in.

Does anyone know which programs are not in the SF match? I know MCW is not, is there a list of programs that require individual applications?

Does anyone know which programs are not in the SF match? I know MCW is not, is there a list of programs that require individual applications?
they all should be, i think MCW is not because they fill internally usually but they do have a seperate app which is strange

Michigan interview invite this week

Stanford sent a “we have ur completed app, expect communication in Feb”

Nothing from UCs yet for me
Ah rip was hoping to hear from Mich, wonder if they'll send more later

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on reaching out to programs that we'd want an interview at - for family/significant other reasons that have sent invites out

Thoughts on reaching out to programs that we'd want an interview at - for family/significant other reasons that have sent invites out
It can't hurt. Barrier to entry is so low for accepting remote interviews. If your standardized application and personal statement showed no obvious connection to a smallish/regional program, why would they bother to invite you, especially if everyone is "highly recommended". Programs routinely have to interview/rank 10+ for each spot, it's simple math.

University of Wisconsin - Madison interview today. Anyone hear from Chicago programs or Ohio St, WashU?

How important is ITE this year as a CA-2 applying cardiac?

I don't get how programs would even get the result for this year? are they going to ask for it after we've already interviewed

columbia/yale/ucsd/usc this week

I don't get how programs would even get the result for this year? are they going to ask for it after we've already interviewed

columbia/yale/ucsd/usc this week
In the past, some programed asked for it after the interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
How many interviews do you guys have at this point? Whats a good number you think?

How many places did people apply for? 15 and I’m curious if I may have under applied a bit 😅. Or does anyone know how far along we are in the whole interview invite hooplah?
i applied to 25, but coming from a 'smaller/less known' program. I'm not sure how far along we are; was hoping to hear back from some places that no one has mentioned yet so we'll see. I figure early feb most invites will be out, so i guess we're almost done. Total guess but seems reasonable i think

I know my home program hasn’t sent out any invites yet and their belief is that while larger programs may have probably sent out, smaller programs likely haven’t released yet. I’m still hopeful that some more invites will come out although some of the programs I was hoping to hear from are larger ones that have already been mentioned 🥲
Same boat 3 or 4 of the bigger ones that sent out invites was hoping to hear from, oh well 😕

For what it’s worth, one of the programs I interviewed with asked us to send CA2 ITE scores once we have them

Dang so most places sent out invites to who they want to interview then?

For me almost every program I've gotten an interview to has basically filled completely. I'm hoping places I haven't heard from are still reviewing my app. I'd rather get a rejection than be ghosted

For me almost every program I've gotten an interview to has basically filled completely. I'm hoping places I haven't heard from are still reviewing my app. I'd rather get a rejection than be ghosted
Same, not sure if they're gonna "open more spots up" but probably doubt it. Haven't heard about the chicago programs sending anything out, WashU, and some of the bigger cali names

For those who have already done interviews, what type of Qs do they ask ?

Same, not sure if they're gonna "open more spots up" but probably doubt it. Haven't heard about the chicago programs sending anything out, WashU, and some of the bigger cali names
Yeah it does feel like the invites have just been big bolus invites rather than rolling this year

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have already done interviews, what type of Qs do they ask ?
fairly casual, why this specialty, tell me about yourself, interesting cases. Ask about stuff on your app & leave time for questions at the end. maybe like one "behavioral" question i got.

Duke and Mayo within the last week

Can anyone comment on this program? Is it comparable to Baylor?
I think the fellows do a lot of their own cases at Baylor/THI not sure how it is at UTH. I think the patient acuity is probably about the same, UTH covers both Memorial Hermann & Methodist which combined do more Heart & Lung tx than Baylor. Assuming that translates to other cardiac case complexity so i'm sure what you see must be similar but it's probably structured different. Total speculation but going off what I know about them

I think the fellows do a lot of their own cases at Baylor/THI not sure how it is at UTH. I think the patient acuity is probably about the same, UTH covers both Memorial Hermann & Methodist which combined do more Heart & Lung tx than Baylor. Assuming that translates to other cardiac case complexity so i'm sure what you see must be similar but it's probably structured different. Total speculation but going off what I know about them
THI used to be up there with Duke and CCF in term of the best fellowships if you are looking to sit your own case as a fellow. But that was years ago, and I honestly do not know if that holds true today. It is interesting that you find UTH comparable to THI though. Either the THI program is not what it used to be or UTH built a strong program in recent years.

Interview invites the other person in my program or I have gotten that I haven’t seen mentioned yet- Iowa, Mayo, Kentucky, Hopkins

Did someone say they saw a Nebraska invite?
Yes Nebraska was out earlier. Thanks for keeping it updated!

Coresidents and I have received interviews from UW and UTSW (haven't seen those mentioned yet)

Reactions: 2 users