Cardiothoracic anesthesia (ACTA) fellowship 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some places seemed to interview way fewer than expected, perhaps having already filled internally

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year’s match was the least competitive match in 6 years. Due to the constant increase in spots vs decrease in applicants, cardiac is no longer a competitive fellowship. It should be much easier to match at top places compared to previous years.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year’s match was the least competitive match in 6 years. Due to the constant increase in spots vs decrease in applicants, cardiac is no longer a competitive fellowship. It should be much easier to match at top places compared to previous years.
I'd want to see data, but my bet is that the top places are as competitive as ever. Where I'd expect spots to open up are the mid-lower tier programs.

I'd want to see data, but my bet is that the top places are as competitive as ever. Where I'd expect spots to open up are the mid-lower tier programs.
Program specific data would never be published since the n is too small. But you bring up an interesting point. I wonder if the pool of applicants are now skewed towards higher caliber applicants that would've applied regardless of job market and the weaker applicants that would've applied to fellowship are choosing to get a job instead.

Halfway down the interviews, trying to figure out what things are important. In terms of case variety, what are the cases you learn from the most? Some seem to have more aortic surgeries (TAAA, ascending/descending), heavy on transplants, structural or mechanical support devices. There are obviously programs that have all, but some are more focused. Assuming the basics are similar, what cases do you learn from the most and what experiences should be emphasized?

Halfway down the interviews, trying to figure out what things are important. In terms of case variety, what are the cases you learn from the most? Some seem to have more aortic surgeries (TAAA, ascending/descending), heavy on transplants, structural or mechanical support devices. There are obviously programs that have all, but some are more focused. Assuming the basics are similar, what cases do you learn from the most and what experiences should be emphasized?
Also curious, it appears some institutions do not do anywhere near as many thoracic cases in comparison to others. For those with more experience/wisdom, what are your thoughts on this?

I’d say it depends where you’ll be practicing.

Academics? PP community hospital with chip shot cabg/valves that ships out anything complicated? PP tertiary center that does a ton of complex crazy **** and all the disasters the community can’t handle?

Different programs will be ideal for each of these different practice environments.

If you don’t have a clue where you want to end up, I think you just go to a well-rounded program where you will see and do everything.

Also curious, it appears some institutions do not do anywhere near as many thoracic cases in comparison to others. For those with more experience/wisdom, what are your thoughts on this?
How much thoracic you need in fellowship depends on how much you had in residency, how comfortable you are with it, and how much you think you’ll be doing in practice (if you know).

I personally don’t think you should be doing too much thoracic in fellowship as long as you had good exposure in residency. There should be some, but if you’re doing a ton, that’s time that could be spent doing pump cases, cath lab, MCS, echo, etc.

Maybe a stupid question, just curious what people’s thoughts are. I have been trying to send thank you emails after my interviews. If a program coordinator does not respond to my request for interviewers emails should I just leave it at that and not follow up (is probably annoying I imagine). I can’t find contact info online.

Maybe a stupid question, just curious what people’s thoughts are. I have been trying to send thank you emails after my interviews. If a program coordinator does not respond to my request for interviewers emails should I just leave it at that and not follow up (is probably annoying I imagine). I can’t find contact info online.
just leave it at that.

So talking to a few friends in other programs that have CV fellowships. It seems like there are actually a large number of people going into CV and wanting to stay in their home programs. I’ve even heard of programs with not enough fellowship spots for their number of internal applicants who want to stay so I’m beginning to believe it is a more competitive year for CV fellowship overall

Reactions: 1 users
So talking to a few friends in other programs that have CV fellowships. It seems like there are actually a large number of people going into CV and wanting to stay in their home programs. I’ve even heard of programs with not enough fellowship spots for their number of internal applicants who want to stay so I’m beginning to believe it is a more competitive year for CV fellowship overall
Any institutions that come to mind? If you can share haha. Don't want to get my hopes up for no reason lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Larger number than last year? Lol

I don’t know for sure but I would believe there are more.
Last few cycle, applicants every year think that their year is more competitive than the year before. I doubt there are more applicants this year than last, but you never know. We may have reached the lowest point last year. We will find out in June when SF releases the match data.

Highly competitive programs having more internal applicants than the number of spots is not a new thing. A wise program would never fill all of their spots with internal candidates year after year.

I would be willing to bet that the post data will show a decrease in overall applicants. The job market is good right now and fellowship applications across all subspecialties typically suffer when that is the case.

I would be willing to bet that the post data will show a decrease in overall applicants. The job market is good right now and fellowship applications across all subspecialties typically suffer when that is the case.

Same, I’ll bet on that as well. There will be unfilled positions

How many interviews did most people end up doing?

Applied to 25 programs (way too many), went on 14 interviews (declined 7)

What led you to decline the 7 interviews? Just curious.
I honestly didn't know how competitive I was and broadly applied hoping for 12-15 interviews. Once I got enough, I started declining places my partner didn't want to live

Applied 10, got 7.

Reaching out to colleagues cardiac anesthesiology seems to be the least impacted by the strong job market than other fellowships. Look at the article posted on the pediatric anesthesia fellowship thread. I would contend that "Ikigai" is also present in cardiac anesthesiologists. Income is being lost by starting a year later in practice but I have more than made up the difference. I am two years past my official retirement but with the explosion of structural heart procedure and EP procedures, I have no problem doing cardiac cases on a per diem basis any time I desire.

Reaching out to colleagues cardiac anesthesiology seems to be the least impacted by the strong job market than other fellowships. Look at the article posted on the pediatric anesthesia fellowship thread. I would contend that "Ikigai" is also present in cardiac anesthesiologists. Income is being lost by starting a year later in practice but I have more than made up the difference. I am two years past my official retirement but with the explosion of structural heart procedure and EP procedures, I have no problem doing cardiac cases on a per diem basis any time I desire.
With that in mind, would you recommend training in the general area (west coast for west coast, east for east, etc.) for easier job placement post training? It appears for generalists it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore but if cardiac wasn't as impacted then it's something I'm strongly considering to shape my rank list.

With that in mind, would you recommend training in the general area (west coast for west coast, east for east, etc.) for easier job placement post training? It appears for generalists it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore but if cardiac wasn't as impacted then it's something I'm strongly considering to shape my rank list.

If you know of a specific practice you’d like to join, go where current partners trained. Beyond that, I don’t think geography matters as much as it used to. Most places will hire any willing victim ;)

Anyone know when the program ranklist deadline is? Not ours as applicants but when programs have to submit their final list by?