MD Career Change from Engineering.. low GPA path forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PEconsideringMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 years old and am strongly considering changing careers.

I am currently a chemical engineer. I am very good at my job, and could be successful, but at the end of every day I find myself wondering "why?" What's the point? Anytime I am successful it solely benefits the CEO and VPs. I am at the point where I am starting to get involved in the politics of the chemical industry, and I cannot see myself spending my life fighting the corporate battle.

I had always wanted to study medicine. I grew up in foster care, which was particularly difficult as I approached college, and I abandoned my dream of becoming an MD for the fastest path I could think of to get myself stable, which was engineering.

Since I was 100% on my own, I worked three jobs through college, and graduated with a 2.9 cGPA, which was a half a point above the school average, but is abysmally low for even considering med school. Since my degree was science, I doubt my sGPA is much higher.

I currently live in Louisiana, and have read into the 32-hour policy. I have reached out to try and set up a meeting with LSU-NOLA admissions, and I think that I will dip my toes in the water at LSU with a class or two next semester. Since I went to engineering school I would have to take a few things like English and Stats.

My tentative plan would be to leave my job next fall and hit school hard full time. If I can ace those 32 hours (probably more to get in all of the classes I didn't have labs with before) and get a great score on the MCAT, which I know I am capable of doing if I put my mind to it and focus, I feel like I may have a decent shot at one of the four schools that will look at the last 32 hours for non-trads. I've also started volunteering at the hospital in addition to my other philanthropy work.

I want to stay at my job as long as possible for financial purposes. I'm married and have infant twin boys, and we would have to pay off some debt before I left my job.

I'm also going to set up an appointment with LSU (undergrad) admissions and talk about the process of enrolling for a second degree. Any other suggestions of what I could be doing right now, or if I don't have a chance at even these schools?

Members don't see this ad.