This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but i'm getting pretty frustrated with the CARS section and need some guidance. On almost all the full lengths I've taken (AAMC, PR, etc.) I've consistently been getting 123 on the CARS section. I've tried some techniques from youtubers, and princeton review's method but nothing seems to be working. I feel like I read a passage, understand it, but cant remember the details well enough to answer the questions. I usually find myself going back to the passage everytime I answer a question because I keep forgetting what was in the passage. I've been a pretty avid reader my whole life. I've read tons of books cover to cover consistently over the course of my life, yet im struggling with this section immensely. Im doing fine in all other sections. Does anyone have any tips or advice that might be able to help me? I've got about 3 months till I take my MCAT and im wondering how I go about studying for the CARS section during this time. I'm also taking classes during this time so im limited to about an hour or two of MCAT prep per day during this time. I'm fine devoting all my time to CARS since this is the only section that I need to improve.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it is more based on second guessing yourself which may cause you to think you forgot certain details? Maybe rushing through the passages? Definitely don't devote all your time to CARS even though you feel confident in the other sections because 3 months is plenty of time to work on things for CARS but also keeping the rest warmed up.

@AlphaStudent

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but i'm getting pretty frustrated with the CARS section and need some guidance. On almost all the full lengths I've taken (AAMC, PR, etc.) I've consistently been getting 123 on the CARS section. I've tried some techniques from youtubers, and princeton review's method but nothing seems to be working. I feel like I read a passage, understand it, but cant remember the details well enough to answer the questions. I usually find myself going back to the passage everytime I answer a question because I keep forgetting what was in the passage. I've been a pretty avid reader my whole life. I've read tons of books cover to cover consistently over the course of my life, yet im struggling with this section immensely. Im doing fine in all other sections. Does anyone have any tips or advice that might be able to help me? I've got about 3 months till I take my MCAT and im wondering how I go about studying for the CARS section during this time. I'm also taking classes during this time so im limited to about an hour or two of MCAT prep per day during this time. I'm fine devoting all my time to CARS since this is the only section that I need to improve.
Do Jack Westin daily cars.

Next Step Test Prep is holding a FREE CARS Master Class tonight at 8:00pm EST. I think it might be filled with exactly the advice and strategies you're looking for. Click the link to register https://nextsteptestprep.com/premed-webinars/

Members don't see this ad :)

You need to read the passage slowly and ask yourself why did the author write the passage. Ask yourself how one paragraph relates to another paragraph and imagine yourself interviewing the author and asking how the author felt about the topic and why they wrote it. Doing so allows you to pinpoint the main idea, which is key for answering the questions. Most questions are based on the main idea so you don't have to focus on the details.

Also try this to help you with CARS: MCAT - Testing Solutions' 30 Day Guide to MCAT CARS Success

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've started doing the Testing Solutions 30 day guide and I'm hoping I see some decent results!