This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Italiansoda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am really struggling between Case and SB since they are both really good schools and have the same cost of attendance. Will be so grateful for any opinions!

For me:
  • If possible, I hope to specialize, preferably OMFS
  • I enjoy big city life
  • I am international and diversity is important to me

Case:
Pros:
  • Facilities: Brand new campus and facilities
  • Class size: ~75, about right
  • Public/Private: Private, may have a better experience
  • Diversity: Good diversity and mostly OOS students
  • Other opportunities: Summer research for D1, externships? Anything else?
Cons:
  • Location: Cleveland, OH. Too snowy. I don't think I will enjoy the city that much because I get scared easily there and I probably don't want to practice in this area after school
  • Curriculum: PBL for a year then just regular lectures. Not a fan of PBL and I am a little bit concerned because I have been told by at least 3 ppl that D1 is much easier than undergrad and Idk if that will prep students well for specialization?
  • Specialization rate: ~10-20%?

Stony Brook:
Pros:
  • Class size: small class size. ~44 dental students and ~200 in total including med students
  • Curriculum: regular lectures, take classes with med students, everyone takes NBME so good test prep?
  • Specialization rate: ~40%, more fellow travelers
Cons:
  • Facilities: older campus and facilities, kinda disconnected because D1 students take classes in med school but do dental stuff in dental school
  • Location: Stony Brook is quite rural. NY is too saturated to provide a job. Must do GPR if one wants to practice general dentistry in NY?
  • Diversity: ~40/44 are in-state, not good diversity but NY is pretty diverse in general?
  • Other opportunities: possible externships? Anything else?

Feel free to correct me or add more info. Any opinions would be appreciated and thank you so much for helping!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The danger factor in Cleveland is probably a bit over exaggerated. I was only shot at one time during my 4 years of DS.

Reactions: 6 users