This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloSunshine110

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just graduated (summa cum laude) with my BA in anthropology/minor in biology and will be starting an MPH program this fall. I'm still considering going to medical school in the future but didnt complete all the required pre-reqs during undergrad. What I'm wondering is if it would be a good plan to take pre-med courses at a CC while I complete my MPH? I know this would only add to the large work load of a masters program but I'm not afraid of the work, I'm more concerned with the outcome; if it would look good to med schools. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools don't care about how much you did at one time, they care about results. As for the CC credits, you can find many posts about that. Some schools are cool with a minor use to fill gaps. Some don't accept at all.

Schools don't care about how much you did at one time, they care about results. As for the CC credits, you can find many posts about that. Some schools are cool with a minor use to fill gaps. Some don't accept at all.

I wouldn't take it on at the same time to try and make it look more impressive, simply to save time on my part. I know that some schools don't care if credits come from a four year vs a cc and honestly I probably wouldn't want to attend a school that looked down on cc credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is an odd combo and would need to be examined. How did you decide to go to MPH?
MD and MPH are an odd combo? I've seen this combo presented in plenty of duel programs.

I decided to go for my MPH because it, depending on concentration, is the perfect combination of both fields I enjoy: healthcare and anthropology.

No: anthro, then MPH, and getting prereqs at CC when you already have a minor in bio. That's the odd combo
Actually, while MPH programs used to have a majority of their students coming out of hard sciences, they're now about 50/50 with students coming out of social sciences, at least according to a program director I spoke with. As for already having a bio minor, while it did allow me to fulfill some prerequisites needed to apply for med school (obviously bio) I haven't had a chance to take other classes like chem, math, etc. I'm considering taking these additional courses while in my program simply to get them done quicker than I would need to if I were to wait until I finished my MPH.

Actually, while MPH programs used to have a majority of their students coming out of hard sciences, they're now about 50/50 with students coming out of social sciences, at least according to a program director I spoke with. As for already having a bio minor, while it did allow me to fulfill some prerequisites needed to apply for med school (obviously bio) I haven't had a chance to take other classes like chem, math, etc. I'm considering taking these additional courses while in my program simply to get them done quicker than I would need to if I were to wait until I finished my MPH.

whatz weird is that ur bio minor didn't need math or chemz. not the anthro to emm-pee-aitch. why emm-dee any way? u can do healthcare in emm-pee-aitch land.

Reactions: 1 users
whatz weird is that ur bio minor didn't need math or chemz. not the anthro to emm-pee-aitch. why emm-dee any way? u can do healthcare in emm-pee-aitch land.
Did anyone read this out loud? :roflcopter:

Reactions: 1 user
"Dee-oh" programs are OK with CC pre-reqs, if you're interested in that route.

Reactions: 1 user