Celiac disease -- affects on interview day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gree3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is a very strange question, but can anyone tell me if asking for certain dietary requests will annoy admissions? I have celiac disease and need to request an appropriate meal. In my email in doing so should I offer to bring my own meal?

I hate having to tell people this especially now as people see it as a fad.....

Members don't see this ad.

If there's anywhere that would be willing to accommodate a MEDICAL condition, I'd go out on a limb and say that a MEDICAL school would be one of the first places that come to mind.

Don't be embarrassed because of white women who have self-confidence issues that need external sources of validation in life...

Reactions: 5 users
Hello, this is a very strange question, but can anyone tell me if asking for certain dietary requests will annoy admissions? I have celiac disease and need to request an appropriate meal. In my email in doing so should I offer to bring my own meal?

I hate having to tell people this especially now as people see it as a fad.....
Everybody's doing it. You won't be alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have celiac too and you definitely shouldn't feel weird about making this request! I think some schools will ask you to notify them of restrictions, but even if they don't you shouldn't hesitate.

I don't think you need to offer to bring your own food, but I always bring a couple extra snacks to any formal event. Sometimes people or caterers make mistakes even when they have the best intentions and I always like to have a back up plan. Plus, not every school is in a location that will have a lot of GF options.

Reactions: 1 user
They will see you as someone who reads Buzzfeed nutrition articles, better hide it or risk rejection/shaming.

They will see you as someone who reads Buzzfeed nutrition articles, better hide it or risk rejection/shaming.
I hope this is facetious. Celiac disease is no laughing matter. It's not like Gwyneth's trend of the week.

IME, asking isn't bad as long as you're polite. West coast people are more accomdating than midwest. I've asked and received just plain lettuce with tomatoes and cucumber, which isn't bad but just leaves me hungry so stick a protein bar or bag of nuts into your pocket or purse and eat a big breakfast ahead of time.

What about ethical diet restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, etc)? I generally don't expect people to cater to me because it isn't an allergy and always pack my own food, but is it worth saying something or no? I haven't asked, but then again it is occasionally awkward when I'm at an event with strangers and they ask me why I'm not eating the provided food.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about ethical diet restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, etc)? I generally don't expect people to cater to me because it isn't an allergy and always pack my own food, but is it worth saying something or no? I haven't asked, but then again it is occasionally awkward when I'm at an event with strangers and they ask me why I'm not eating the provided food.

Personally, I think it's better to ask rather than not eat the food you are served, which can seem rude or lead to more confusion. Schools want to provide you with lunch and people understand that not everyone follows the same diet. Even though it isn't an allergy, I guarantee they'll want to do what they can to accommodate you. You don't have to mention the ethical reasons if you don't want to. Just tell them you are vegetarian/vegan/etc and ask if it can be accommodated, and politely ask if you can bring your own meal if it can't be. No one is going to question you and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable about it.

Case Western specifically asked if I'd like a vegetarian meal, which I thought was really cool!

I would guess that most medical schools will either have already considered this or be willing to accommodate.

Thanks all. One school I have an interview asked but the others didn't. I'll send an email :)