MD cGPA 3.27 sGPA 3.61 Taking MCAT in August WAMC???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.Puesan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have scheduled my MCAT for August 18th. Due to a family member being ill it has taken me longer to prepare for the MCAT. Will it kill me if I take the exam in August and submit my application now during July so it can be processed?

cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 3.61

Even though my GPA is low I have an upward trend in my grades. My resume is very competitive in regards to shadowing experience and leadership/communication skills (lobbying on Capitol Hill etc.) Shadowed over 100 eye cataract surgeries besides more than 8 medical projects in Latin America and Africa working as a volunteer in clinics of underserved communities. Background: Medical missionary parents working overseas

Since this is my gap year I plan to do an Internship over the fall with the Department of Health in D.C. I have also been involved in many non-medical activities. Overall I have a better resume than GPA so I plan to demonstrate that in the application. I am applying to schools in Texas (science I am a Texas resident) and AMCAS schools.

Should I send my application now before getting my MCAT scores? If so does it really kill me to be applying this late in the cycle? I am confused with other threads that mention receiving secondaries before submitting all documents.

If my chances happened to be good what is the best strategic way for me to apply at this point in the cycle?

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done any shadowing and clinical experiences in the USA? If not you need to get busy doing that. What is your sGPA? It's very hard to say what your chances are without the MCAT score but it is very risky to apply without your score. You could apply to one throwaway school to get verified and see how your MCAT turns out. Your GPA is very low for MD. Are you applying to DO too?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

My sGPA is 3.61. I have also done shadowing here in the U.S too, mostly occupational medicine, (all the shadowing experiences overseas have been mostly with physicians from TX which have given me letters stating the work I did with them in those medical projects. I also have some DO schools that I will apply but I've mostly focused on MD schools. Currently, I'm taking a kaplan course which hopefully will help me achieve a good score so it can compensate my GPA and show my performance alongside the upward trend.

Does the upward trend in grades have a positive impact towards the application?