This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutumnSkyLady

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my generic profile:

1. cGPA: 3.63 (Freshman: 3.8, Sophomore: 3.2, Junior [fall]: 3.7) and sGPA: 3.34
2. MCAT score: 514-518
  1. Chem/Phys 127-129
  2. CARS 129-131
  3. Biol/Biochem 127-129
  4. Psych/Soc 129-131
3. Major: Biology (I personally wish I had double-majored in Humanities, but it's too late now)
4. Residence: NC
5. Race: Asian American
6. Institution: Private GA university
7. Clinical experience: Volunteer at Georgia cancer patient care center and Charlotte-area clinic for uninsured
8. Research: None, but painted/drew artwork in connection to research
9. No shadowing experience (I’m working on it! Any tips would be appreciated)
10. Non-clinical volunteering: Tutoring middle schoolers, leading student volunteer trips, Science Olympiad event supervision
11. Other extracurricular activities: medical fraternity president, Christian group, theater
12. I am interested in medicine history and research in alternative medicine (think TCM, NOT quack medicine) along with modern, evidence-based medicine. My transcript has med school prereqs and lots of humanities coursework (think foreign language, theater, literature, philosophy, history, art). Also, I wish to practice in the East coast, so I'm more interested in schools on the east coast.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
University North Carolina
East Carolina
Wake Forest
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Tulane
NOVA MD
California University (new school)

Reactions: 1 user
Would you recommend the medical school linked to my university as well? It's ranked similarly to UNC-Chapel Hill (I think that's what you mean by University North Carolina)

Members don't see this ad :)
For your shadowing, try to get into contact with a primary care doctor. If you plan on applying to DO schools then you will need a DO letter, so keep that in mind. 30-50 hours is sufficient.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm assuming Emory is your undergrad. It would likely be a waste of an app to throw one there because of your lack of research, but you never know - maybe if some of the professors who liked you and were your LOR writers are well known by the adcom, you might get a shot at an II.

That shot at an II doubles if you put off your app cycle, finish your senior year, make good grades (esp. pulling up your sGPA), and do research all year long.

I'm already planning on putting it off another year, so, yes, I will be doing all those things. I've edited my OP to put less detail about my undergrad, as I'd prefer people not assume things about my stats. Thanks anyway.