Chance me: where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy304

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well two things-
1) The GPA you listed, is it overall or science? And could you post the other?
2) Do you have an upward trend in your GPA?
Your DAT scores are excellent, and I'm sorry for your losses. I think you should explain it, going through things like that really has an impact on academic performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow congrats! These scores are amazing!! I definitely think that you have a shot at getting multiple interviews. Just make sure you apply to 12+ schools and I would also recommend getting in touch with the advisers of your top choice schools, explain them your situation.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
So I just took my DAT, looks like I'm going to apply this cycle. I'm just nervous because my GPA is low.. here it goes. Lmk what you guys think are my chances of getting in anywhere/where you think I should apply (trying to stay near the East Coast)! - I would really like to get into Columbia but what do you think are my chances?

Granted, the reason my GPA is so low is due to the fact that a close family member and significant other passed away within a year's time and really made me tank the two semesters following each. (I'm not sure if I should explain this, I don't want them to think I'm making up excuses)

GPA: 3.28
DAT:
PAT - 23
QR - 22
RC - 21
Bio - 21
Gen Chem - 22
Orgo - 26
TS - 22
AA - 22
Excellent DAT scores, love that 26 in Orgo. Your GPA is on the lower side, apply to schools where you have the best chance of acceptance. Columbia is a long shot, but if that is your dream school I would apply. I am sorry for your losses but I would not mention that, they will perceive it as making excuses. You do not want to give them the impression you will crumble under pressure. Dental school is very challenging much more so than the DAT.

Just my 2 cents..Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
@orgoman22 Thanks! One of my fellow pre-dents wanted me to add it in there but I was hesitant.
Your gut instinct was correct, I have been in this arena many years and have a lot of experience with getting students into dental school, you don't ever want to say or write anything that makes you appear weak.

@orgoman22 do you think I should call and explain? or even spin it off as an accomplishing tale of going through something hard but continuing to persevere? There are two semesters that clearly show a difference on my transcript so I'm worried they are going to assume its that I couldn't handle those classes or what not.
If you can talk to someone off the record and get the advice of a particular school ok, but I do not think it's a good idea to use it as reason for low grades.

If you have further questions you can message me.

Nancy