Chances as a 3rd Year Undergraduate to UPenn/Buff/NYU 21AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddtru

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my DATs and am happy with my results.
Bio: 19
GC: 21
OC:22
TS:20
RC:20
QR:25
AA:21
PAT:21
I am only a sophomore going into my junior year and after receiving my scores, is it possible for me to apply this late into the process (Likely late September application submission) to the schools above? I am in the middle of deciding if I want to complete my degree in 3 years and come out with a Bachelor's in Chemistry with an Honor's Thesis or disregard this and just apply as a 3rd year undergrad applicant not pursuing a degree and wants to go straight to dental school without obtaining one. Are there other schools that allow applying with only 3 years?
I currently have a 3.64 GPA with 3.56 sGPA. I have completed 99 hours of institutional credit and 24 additional transfer AP credit (if that matters) after my sophomore year.
I completed 18 credits my first 2 semesters, and 20 and 21 credits my sophomore year, respectively and 12 credits for both summers.
I've already completed a 120 Hour dental assistant accredited internship through my school last semester and work as a receptionist at an orthodontist's practice for 110 hours winter break with additional shadowing hours on top of these paid hours.
I also am a volunteer as a Student Ambassador at my university, and currently a Chemistry undergraduate researcher with a publication on the way and will be attending the Materials Science Society Conference in Boston this coming November. I am also in the process of founding my university's undergraduate research association. I have also been interested in dental research; I've written a literature review on the use of bionanotechonogy for the enhancement of bleaching agents. for my research seminar class.
I have co-founded a non-profit organization located in NYC along with other executive board members responsible for the development of the Vietnamese community throughout all of the Northeast region of the United States providing leadership opportunities and philanthropic events and volunteering at events for collegiate organizations under our representation as well as local communities consisting mostly of immigrants, typically those underprivileged. I feel that it is important I stay within the Northeast region so I can continue to keep in touch with my team and continue my work in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't apply late September regardless of stats, your chances of admissions are severely diminished due to timing alone. There are schools that accept applicants with only three years of college without their bachelor's, but it's also more difficult to get admitted that way (the combination with your application's lateness means this is basically not an option).

Your AA is below average for Penn, slightly below average for NYU (not really an issue), and above average for Buffalo. Your TS is below average for all three schools. Your GPA is fine. You'd have a good shot at Buffalo under normal circumstances, but applying late September will put you at a severe disadvantage this cycle everywhere.

Quick question, I got the same exact Science scores as you in bio, GC and OC and I got a 21 TS....are you sure you got a 20 TS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't apply late September regardless of stats, your chances of admissions are severely diminished due to timing alone. There are schools that accept applicants with only three years of college without their bachelor's, but it's also more difficult to get admitted that way (the combination with your application's lateness means this is basically not an option).

Your AA is below average for Penn, slightly below average for NYU (not really an issue), and above average for Buffalo. Your TS is below average for all three schools. Your GPA is fine. You'd have a good shot at Buffalo under normal circumstances, but applying late September will put you at a severe disadvantage this cycle everywhere.
NYU is known to give fair chance to all applicants rather than just to those who apply early, is this true? If so, are my chances better?

NYU is known to give fair chance to all applicants rather than just to those who apply early, is this true? If so, are my chances better?

As far as I'm aware NYU follows rolling admissions like anywhere else, so the lateness will still be a huge disadvantage.

Yep... Sad Life

Sorry, I just remembered that the TS score is not an average of the 3 science scores but rather the score that's given for the 100 science questions, if that makes sense. Also, 20 is also a great TS score so you have nothing to be disappointed about with that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile