Chances at med schools with these stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azide047

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys. I just applied to dental schools.

BUT I am just curious and want to know what kind of chances I would have at medical school if I did just as well on the MCAT, got new (possibly better) LORs, and rewrote my personal statement. Take where I am at now and push it to the 2018 AMCAS application cycle for entry in 2019.

Here are my stats:
**GPAs according to ADEA AADSAS dental service calculations:
GPA Inc +/- (A+, A, A-, B+...): sGPA 3.60, cGPA 3.72
GPA w/o +/- (A, B, C...): sGPA 3.67, cGPA 3.81
DAT: 99th percentile (I am confident I can get a 90th percentile MCAT score if I study the same way)

Some Pre-College Credits: Lower tier state school
Undergraduate Education and Degree: Top state school
Post-Bacc semester: Lower tier state school
Course load: >> I have no idea how to measure this <<
- 1 semester abroad
Research: 1 year including poster presentation, no pubblications
LORs: 4 letters of rec
Shadowing: 231 hours dentists + OMFS, 119 OMFS
Work: Full-time at medical practice in PR (current and past summers), private organic chemistry tutor (2 semesters), private English tutor (1 semester abroad)
ECs: Health camp counselor (volunteer for 1 week), English teacher abroad (volunteer for 6 weeks), organic chemistry tutor volunteer, language club (6 semesters), sports club (5 semesters), pen-pal club (2 semesters)
Residence: Atlanta, GA

**I think the only differences are A+ counts as 4.33 in dental and math does not factor into our science GPA. So given that I have two 4 credit science A+'s (4.0s), one 4 credit B- (2.7) in math and two 4 credit A-'s (3.7s) in math... my AMCAS science GPAs would be lower... I'll plug this all into the online calculator and find out.

In my year off (now until June 2, 2017):
- Continue full-time job at med practice (40 hrs/week)
- Shadow doctors (5-10 hrs/week)
- Volunteer (pending, 4 hrs/ week)
- Part-time Kaplan teacher (pending, 5 hrs/ week)
- Take the MCAT (possibly) (100-150 hours studying)
- More research experience (possibly)
- More volunteer opportunities (almost definitely) from other health-related camp counseling
- (hopefully some time to travel and enjoy the world)

I've also thought about the Georgetown SMP but that would be 1 more year and $50k for an 1 year MS in physio and better chance at med to improve my GPAs. And I don't think you apply during the MS so really it would be TWO more years if I started that in 2017...

------ ------ ------
What do you guys think are my chances next cycle?
Thoughts on certain medical schools?

------ ------ ------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get some clinical volunteering and non clinical volunteering and do well on your MCAT you'll have fairly good chances. Just FYI though the dental stuff won't really help you much. It'll just make med schools question why you aren't just going to dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused - you just applied to dental school and now you're wanting to switch over to medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
If you get some clinical volunteering and non clinical volunteering and do well on your MCAT you'll have fairly good chances. Just FYI though the dental stuff won't really help you much. It'll just make med schools question why you aren't just going to dental school.
I moved this thread to
I'm confused - you just applied to dental school and now you're wanting to switch over to medicine?

No, I am just trying to understand where I would fall as a medical school applicant.

IF you got the same percentile MCAT score as you did on the DAT (been told MCAT is a much more difficult test by those who have taken both, I have no personal experience with the DAT) then you would be a sterling candidate with the appropriate ECs. Without the ECs though you would hurt a little bit.