MD & DO Chances at my dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.D0ctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!! I am finally posting after having read through so many threads. I was at Seton Hall University until fall semester of Sophomore year. I transferred to Montclair state university and started in spring of that same sophomore year and now I’m currently in the spring of my junior year. I was underperforming at SHU, I was unhappy, and it was getting expensive. There are some upper level courses that I wanted to take, but sadly could not do to non-transfer of certain credits. I will be taking micro/molec/evolutionary/higher level classes senior year (unfortunately). I haven’t taken my MCAT but am scheduled to take it in June. Here are my stats before and after transferring:

Seton Hall: Biology Major
3.0 cGPA
2.Something (high 2s) sGPA (haven’t gotten a chance to calculate this)

Montclair State: Molecular Biology Major
3.9 cGPA
3.7-3.8 sGPA (Haven’t gotten anything below A- since transfer)

Extra Curricular (with where I started them):

-> 300+ hours shadowing (MD internal medicine/ DO primary care/ pediatrics) - SHU+MSU

->120+ hours SMILE volunteering (food to less fortunate/homeless) SHU+MSU

I was in charge of creating appointments and taking down information

-> Summer cancer diagnostics lab internship - MSU

-> Arabic Tutor for Children at local religious center - SHU

->Certified Phlebotomist (projected 60 hours work time by application time) - MSU

->Certified Clinical lab assistant - MSU

-> 80 Hours Geriatric Emergency Department Volunteering (St Josephs)

So here are my main questions:
1) Am I competitive for DO/MD schools? If so which ones? (I have a list but the more the merrier!)

2) How does my transfer affect how schools look at me (my old scores are haunting me and the averages between both schools isn’t flattering)

3) What can I do until application time to make myself a more desirable applicant?

Thank you all very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all!! I am finally posting after having read through so many threads. I was at Seton Hall University until fall semester of Sophomore year. I transferred to Montclair state university and started in spring of that same sophomore year and now I’m currently in the spring of my junior year. I was underperforming at SHU, I was unhappy, and it was getting expensive. There are some upper level courses that I wanted to take, but sadly could not do to non-transfer of certain credits. I will be taking micro/molec/evolutionary/higher level classes senior year (unfortunately). I haven’t taken my MCAT but am scheduled to take it in June. Here are my stats before and after transferring:

Seton Hall: Biology Major
3.0 cGPA
2.Something (high 2s) sGPA (haven’t gotten a chance to calculate this)

Montclair State: Molecular Biology Major
3.9 cGPA
3.7-3.8 sGPA (Haven’t gotten anything below A- since transfer)

Extra Curricular (with where I started them):

-> 300+ hours shadowing (MD internal medicine/ DO primary care/ pediatrics) - SHU+MSU

->120+ hours SMILE volunteering (food to less fortunate/homeless) SHU+MSU

I was in charge of creating appointments and taking down information

-> Summer cancer diagnostics lab internship - MSU

-> Arabic Tutor for Children at local religious center - SHU

->Certified Phlebotomist (projected 60 hours work time by application time) - MSU

->Certified Clinical lab assistant - MSU

So here are my main questions:
1) Am I competitive for DO/MD schools? If so which ones? (I have a list but the more the merrier!)

2) How does my transfer affect how schools look at me (my old scores are haunting me and the averages between both schools isn’t flattering)

3) What can I do until application time to make myself a more desirable applicant?

Thank you all very much!
Too early to predict without an MCAT score, but rising GPA trends are always good. Chances are probably best with the four NJ med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
At MSU my current GPA is 3.9 with a 3.7-3.8 cGPA, overall it would be the average if the two schools I believe
You aren’t understanding....the total gpa of all college courses. That’s what will be on the application and that’s what helps determine the advice. It might take a few minutes but you need to do the math

Reactions: 1 users
Too early to predict without an MCAT score, but rising GPA trends are always good. Chances are probably best with the four NJ med schools.
I know its early to tell, but how much of a shot do I have with the NJ schools?

You aren’t understanding....the total gpa of all college courses. That’s what will be on the application and that’s what helps determine the advice. It might take a few minutes but you need to do the math
Considering all courses I've taken from both schools I would have a total of 3.45 (both science and gen ed courses factored in)

I have since calculated both and cGPA is 3.48 while sGPA is 3.46
Those are ok for DO. A strong trend and MCAT may get attention at your state public schools. Depending on the rest of the application, some OOS schools could also be considered.
Don't take the MCAT until you are confident of a strong score.

Those are ok for DO. A strong trend and MCAT may get attention at your state public schools. Depending on the rest of the application, some OOS schools could also be considered.
Don't take the MCAT until you are confident of a strong score.
Are there any DO schools you have in mind for me? The rest of my application is stronger than average I believe.

Are there any DO schools you have in mind for me? The rest of my application is stronger than average I believe.

I think what people are getting at here is that yes, we think you could have a shot (especially at DO schools), so you should keep going and do well on the MCAT.

Your focus should be 1. continuing to do well in school and 2. getting a good score on the MCAT.

It is too early and there is just no point in coming up with a list of schools now.

I think what people are getting at here is that yes, we think you could have a shot (especially at DO schools), so you should keep going and do well on the MCAT.

Your focus should be 1. continuing to do well in school and 2. getting a good score on the MCAT.

It is too early and there is just no point in coming up with a list of schools now.
Ok awesome, thank you all for the advice I'm just planning ahead due to anxiety

Ok awesome, thank you all for the advice I'm just planning ahead due to anxiety

I understand. Best to take it 1-2 steps at a time. Right now what matters most = school & MCAT.

Coming up with a list of schools comes later. Try not to stress out too much about which schools you have a shot at because your final numbers may completely change that list in the end, so it's not really planning ahead, just unnecessary worrying.

Lastly, if you think you have some kind of anxiety, best to talk to a professional and start dealing with it now. Trust me.

Good luck!

I understand. Best to take it 1-2 steps at a time. Right now what matters most = school & MCAT.

Coming up with a list of schools comes later. Try not to stress out too much about which schools you have a shot at because your final numbers may completely change that list in the end, so it's not really planning ahead, just unnecessary worrying.

Lastly, if you think you have some kind of anxiety, best to talk to a professional and start dealing with it now. Trust me.

Good luck!
Alrighty, Thank you again very much!!