MD Chances for a Canadian - Advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+vibesonly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time forum viewer but first time poster. I am just starting to look into American MD programs (not for this application cycle but next) since I know the US app cycle is a tedious process. I figure the earlier I start gathering information the better. I have also been having a hard time finding any info on students with graduate degrees getting into US schools. Just trying to gauge what my chances would be for US schools - any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Breakdown of my app:

Academic:

Undergrad: BSc - cGPA = 3.3 if you include all years, but with some schools deleting lowest year cGPA = 3.43

Graduate: Master of Public Health (MPH - Health Policy specialization) - cGPA = 3.8

MCAT:

509 (CARS - 127, Bio - 128, Chem/Phys - 127, Psych/Soc - 126)

Extracurriculars:

I think this is where my application is the strongest and probably the only reason I was accepted into a Public Health graduate program with my low GPA. I have extensive volunteer and work experience in community and inner city health (1000+ verifiable hours), which includes multiple executive and leadership positions with various agencies in the city and on campus (HIV, Red Cross, Municipal Safety councils etc.). I have both qualitative and quantitative research experience working as a research assistant throughout grad school. I am now working full time in health policy and legislation development for our provincial Ministry of Health.

LORs:

These would hopefully be a stronger part of my application as well. I am able to get strong LOR from my Public Health and potentially undergrad physiology professors, my Director at the Ministry of Health as well as supervisors/executive directors from my research or community health work.

In terms of writing personal essays I have some experience having written them for grad schools. My writing is decent having written essay upon essay throughout grad schools so hopefully this will be ok for me in applications as well. Again, any advice, comments, thoughts (bad and good please) would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance
default_smile.png

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow Canadian here. Unfortunately, Canadians are expected to be of higher calibre in terms of GPA/MCAT than our American counterparts. We are international, after all, and I'm afraid to say that your undergrad GPA / MCAT won't cut it. The grad GPAs won't really help, either. While your ECs definitely look impressive (are any of these clinical volunteers - I'm guessing HIV/Red Cross involved direct patient involvement) the stats are bringing you down. If USMD is your goal, I suggest you pursue postbacc programs to raise your GPA / give MCAT another shot.

DO may be more welcoming, however. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow Canadian here. Unfortunately, Canadians are expected to be of higher calibre in terms of GPA/MCAT than our American counterparts. We are international, after all, and I'm afraid to say that your undergrad GPA / MCAT won't cut it. The grad GPAs won't really help, either. While your ECs definitely look impressive (are any of these clinical volunteers - I'm guessing HIV/Red Cross involved direct patient involvement) the stats are bringing you down. If USMD is your goal, I suggest you pursue postbacc programs to raise your GPA / give MCAT another shot.

I agree, try DO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for this, really appreciate it! I knew it might be a long shot coming in with my low GPA. Do you have any idea how they consider graduate GPA years? My graduate program was a little different since it was a course-based masters versus a thesis, so it was 2 years of full course load semesters with a practicum. I know a few Canadian schools treat it similar to a post-bacc that way so my cGPA is considered closer to ~3.6. Also considering retaking my mcat before the app cycle begins.

Thank you for this, really appreciate it! I knew it might be a long shot coming in with my low GPA. Do you have any idea how they consider graduate GPA years? My graduate program was a little different since it was a course-based masters versus a thesis, so it was 2 years of full course load semesters with a practicum. I know a few Canadian schools treat it similar to a post-bacc that way so my cGPA is considered closer to ~3.6. Also considering retaking my mcat before the app cycle begins.

US schools aren't likely to put a lot of value on a public health masters GPA, especially from a Canadian program.

i would focus your efforts on DO schools