Chances for non traditional/low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pegeve97

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I’m a non traditional pre-med student. I earned my BS in psychology and my GPA was on the low side at 3.0. Now I’m doing a pre-health post bac at the University of Pennsylvania and my grades have been better. So far into my first year I’m at a 3.4. Additionally, I work full time as a research technician and have logged over 200 clinical hours. I plan to do some shadowing this fall/winter. On top of that I am the chair for a student organization. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet.

So, I’m wondering what are my chances - if any- of getting into Medical School. Is there anyone with any experience with getting into med school with a low gpa? What is your advice? Thanks!
 
It’s still early but you should try to get your GPA much higher. Is your program a post bacc or Masters? If it’s a post bacc it will help your very low GPA. A Masters won’t unless you are applying for DO schools. Are you considering DO schools? You should because it just might be your most viable path to Mede one.
What is your state of residence? URM?
 
Your priorities at the moment should be to get that GPA as high as possible and getting as high of a score on the MCAT. Your chances are entirely dependent on those 2 factors.
 
It’s still early but you should try to get your GPA much higher. Is your program a post bacc or Masters? If it’s a post bacc it will help your very low GPA. A Masters won’t unless you are applying for DO schools. Are you considering DO schools? You should because it just might be your most viable path to Mede one.
What is your state of residence? URM?
It’s a post bacc, I was a psych major not initially interested in medicine. I am considering DO schools! I have to do some more research on them though