This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So...

• Keep working on it/throw the kitchen sink at this?

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • ... switch to gen surg? would I even be happy? :(

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

bostoncollegemgh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to hear from the normal people on this who have applied or are applying and NOT the top candidates who don't get the struggle (respect and all but that's just not me)... Be brutal if it's the truth. My weakness is grades. I can network the hell out of anything but shelfs/USMLEs are killing my spirit.

Female @ Top 20 program
Step 1 239
Clerkships all HP (psych, pediatrics, OB)... Likely a HP on Surgery as well considering I just got my shelf score back and it was a total BOMB despite preceptor saying I was the "best student of the year" / Have medicine last
4 publications at good journals + a bunch of abstract/podium stuff
8 week orthopedic rotation 2 summers ago at HSS from which I have maintained relationships with people willing to make "phone calls"
Got a scholarship from Zimmer that I'm working to turn into more connections

So... Realistically with the BS that is my HP in surgery + 239...can I make this work? Where should I be shooting for Sub-Is (anywhere along the east coast is fine)? Ex: I really like U. Miami but is that out of reach?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Shoulda gotten that extra point

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, are you serious? I don't know if this post is supposed to be a humble brag or something. Basically a 240 at a top 20 MD school + being female I would say you're basically a lock to match somewhere if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude, are you serious? I don't know if this post is supposed to be a humble brag or something. Basically a 240 at a top 20 MD school + being female I would say you're basically a lock to match somewhere if you apply broadly.

.... Look being 100% honest here that's not the sense I have gotten from my school (which is why I came to SDN - needed to hear it from other people) - With the HP in surgery a lot of people here made it sound like ortho was going to be really difficult/if not impossible.. They did say general would be fine.

.... Look being 100% honest here that's not the sense I have gotten from my school (which is why I came to SDN - needed to hear it from other people) - With the HP in surgery a lot of people here made it sound like ortho was going to be really difficult/if not impossible.. They did say general would be fine.
I mean, you probably won't match at HSS or something uber elite, which is where things like clinical grades are actually used to parse through elite applicants but ortho in general? You're good, man.

My friend at a low-mid tier MD school matched ortho at a mid tier program with just a pass in surgery.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont blame her for feeling inadequate here. The competitiveness of fields is grossly exaggerated by many people. This is particularly true at top schools, where the residents and many attendings are super type-A and love talking about how competitive their field is. Another factor is that many of these type A folk are so lost in their own worlds that they are only concerned with theirs and other top programs (obviously those programs are competitive - that doesnt mean one cant match into a field without similar credentials). Theres an ENT dude on sdn who tried to initially claim, or at least implied/fearmongered, that if you didnt have a 270, multiple pubs in quality research, perfect grades and LORs, you had no shot at matching at his program.
When i was considering EM, an advisor told me that if i didnt at least high pass EM i wouldnt match EM (i have a >265 and mostly honors).

Reactions: 5 users
Dramatic medical students who post things that have been discussed 1000x without fully doing their research, then when someone gives them an answer that they deem glib turns it back around on them in a personal attack so they don't have to deal with their own shortcomings; they hurt me.

Just curious.. Am I somehow at your house right now forcing you to read this post? Otherwise, click [x] top left to end this misery I've put you through.

I dont blame her for feeling inadequate here. The competitiveness of fields is grossly exaggerated by many people. This is particularly true at top schools, where the residents and many attendings are super type-A and love talking about how competitive their field is. Another factor is that many of these type A folk are so lost in their own worlds that they are only concerned with theirs and other top programs (obviously those programs are competitive - that doesnt mean one cant match into a field without similar credentials). Theres an ENT dude on sdn who tried to initially claim, or at least implied/fearmongered, that if you didnt have a 270, multiple pubs in quality research, perfect grades and LORs, you had no shot at matching at his program.
When i was considering EM, an advisor told me that if i didnt at least high pass EM i wouldnt match EM (i have a >265 and mostly honors).

Thanks. This is exactly it. Maybe it's a culture thing here. A top ortho guy here literally said "If you don't honor surgery you're a psycho"
It's hard when the loudest voices are the people who did crazy well on everything and it skews how we see our options.

Thanks. This is exactly it. Maybe it's a culture thing here. A top ortho guy here literally said "If you don't honor surgery you're a psycho"
It's hard when the loudest voices are the people who did crazy well on everything and it skews how we see our options.
work hard and apply broadly if you really want ortho. thats the best advice anyone can really give you. I'm glad we could relate tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So many faculty and "advisors" are so out of touch and have no clue what the **** they're talking about. You'll get the most up to date and best advice from your peers or people who matched the year prior.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m guessing if you do well on always you will do fine (which are much more important than surgery rotation)

your step score might be on the lower side, but this whole you'll match only if you honor surgery is BS and ridiculous. 3rd year grades are so subjective and vary so much amongst schools. I don't think all surgical applications have honors
I honored most of my rotations and have surgery last. If I won't match because I get near honors in surgery, that has to be one of the most ridiculous match requirement or people are lying and I think it's the latter

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.
Hopefully you have a good chance because I have similar stats with not much research but applying to a different surgical subspeciality

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

Is this performance art?

Reactions: 6 users
I just want to hear from the normal people on this who have applied or are applying and NOT the top candidates who don't get the struggle (respect and all but that's just not me)... Be brutal if it's the truth. My weakness is grades. I can network the hell out of anything but shelfs/USMLEs are killing my spirit.

Female @ Top 20 program
Step 1 239
Clerkships all HP (psych, pediatrics, OB)... Likely a HP on Surgery as well considering I just got my shelf score back and it was a total BOMB despite preceptor saying I was the "best student of the year" / Have medicine last
4 publications at good journals + a bunch of abstract/podium stuff
8 week orthopedic rotation 2 summers ago at HSS from which I have maintained relationships with people willing to make "phone calls"
Got a scholarship from Zimmer that I'm working to turn into more connections

So... Realistically with the BS that is my HP in surgery + 239...can I make this work? Where should I be shooting for Sub-Is (anywhere along the east coast is fine)? Ex: I really like U. Miami but is that out of reach?

Apply broadly. If you were a dude I would be a little concerned about your step, but since you’re a female you should be fine. You’ll likely match somewhere. Also, murder your away rotations, work super hard and you should be ok.

Apply broadly. If you were a dude I would be a little concerned about your step, but since you’re a female you should be fine. You’ll likely match somewhere. Also, murder your away rotations, work super hard and you should be ok.
I don't know if you posted this on your ama (would be happy to look at it if you did). If not, can you give advice on how to perform well on away rotations.