This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flippinam

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been reading on SDN for a long time, but this is my first actual post. I'm going into my final year of undergrad, and I am hoping to get advice on how to improve my application. I am somewhat nontraditional (I actually don't know whether my app is considered nontraditional or how it exactly works), but I am graduating one year early then taking a gap year to work.

cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 518 (130,129,130,129)
TX resident
Non-URM

Clinical Experience: Volunteering: 150 hrs as of now, will be 200+ when I apply
Non-Volunteer: will work full time as scribe in gap year

Research Experience: This is where I'm really really lacking. One year that I got class credit for + poster presentation (not sure if this even "counts")

Shadowing: 240 hrs (pediatrics, orthopedics, cardiology, interventional cardiology, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, plastics, urology)

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 200+ hrs (3 different places weekly)

Other EC's: Club sports team (president/only officer so this takes up most of my time), two pre-med orgs with leadership roles in both

Awards: Member of the Year in one pre-med org, several scholarships

Schools:
1) Baylor
2) UTSW
3) UTMB
4) Any other TX school

These are the three schools that I would really like to go to, however I will be applying to all TX schools and will be happy to get in anywhere. Baylor would be my dream school though. I don't plan to apply out of state anywhere, but I don't know if this would mean I am applying too narrowly?

I know that my lack of research is probably going to limit my options a lot. If anybody has any advice on getting into research, it would be much appreciated! I have applied to several summer programs and for several labs on campus with no luck. I really don't understand how pretty much everybody gets research experience. I feel like I have done all that I can and just haven't had any luck.

I am especially interested in what my chances for Baylor would be with my current EC's.

Thank you!