Chances/ Non traditonal/D.O School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHA256

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am about to graduate in may 2019, a bachelor of science in Finance. I realized I dont want to manage people's money for a living, and contribute more to society, not to the bottom line of a financial institution. I will be taking pre reqs this summer and next, being able to apply for 2020 batch. Here are approximate stats for which I will be applying.

Undergrad GPA B.S. Finance
Science GPA
3.4-3.5
MCAT
27-28
Extracirrucular
100 hours of volunteering at underserved clinics/ Shadowing a DO for 10+hours.

I was also wondering, do DO schools prefer pre-med/ science undergrad students? Does the fact I changed my mind late in my undergrad in business school work against my chances/ appeal? It is my dream to go to Osteopathic Med school, and my siblings are both doctors (MD), so Ive seen how rewarding the career is. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Approximate stats? How old are you?

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is expired for a number of schools. Might be time for a retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing your mind definitely wouldn’t work against you. Schools just want to see that you know what medicine is like and that you think it’s a good fit for yourself. If you can communicate that, regardless of how you got there, you are golden. Having an interesting story can often times help imo because it’s a way that can set you apart

MCAT might be something to look into because they often expire after three years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your MCAT is expired for a number of schools. Might be time for a retake.

Hey, about the scoring, I was making an approximation based on the old scoring system. I still havent taken it, will be taking it for the first time in 2020. I assume I would not perform exceptionally well, just average around 505-508

Changing your mind definitely wouldn’t work against you. Schools just want to see that you know what medicine is like and that you think it’s a good fit for yourself. If you can communicate that, regardless of how you got there, you are golden. Having an interesting story can often times help imo because it’s a way that can set you apart

MCAT might be something to look into because they often expire after three years

thanks for the response! I have not taken it yet, and I meant to make the approximation with the new scoring system, which would be around 505-507 I reckon.

Hey,

I am about to graduate in may 2019, a bachelor of science in Finance. I realized I dont want to manage people's money for a living, and contribute more to society, not to the bottom line of a financial institution. I will be taking pre reqs this summer and next, being able to apply for 2020 batch. Here are approximate stats for which I will be applying.

Undergrad GPA B.S. Finance
Science GPA
3.4-3.5
MCAT
27-28
Extracirrucular
100 hours of volunteering at underserved clinics/ Shadowing a DO for 10+hours.

I was also wondering, do DO schools prefer pre-med/ science undergrad students? Does the fact I changed my mind late in my undergrad in business school work against my chances/ appeal? It is my dream to go to Osteopathic Med school, and my siblings are both doctors (MD), so Ive seen how rewarding the career is. Thanks!
We don't care what your major or minor is, only that you do well

Reactions: 1 users
We don't care what your major or minor is, only that you do well

Thanks for the response Goro! Would my stats be considered "well" enough for the newer DO schools in your opinion?

Thanks for the response Goro! Would my stats be considered "well" enough for the newer DO schools in your opinion?

Aim for an MCAT score of 505-508 to be competitive for most DO schools. Additionally try to get around 50 hours of shadowing a primary care physician (if this is a DO, then great as some schools require a DO LOR.) Also make sure that when you apply, apply early to increase your chances of interviews and such.

You're looking good so far. Increase the shadowing and get a DO letter, get some more volunteering (including non-clinical), and a 505 plus and you will be in good shape.

Do well in your pre reqs and try to understand stuff thats emphasized in mcat practice books as you through. You haven’t really started pre-reqs if im reading this correctly so theres no reason to think you won’t end up at an MD program, especially coming from FL. Are you just assuming your mcat will be in that range or have you taken it before?

Do well in your pre reqs and try to understand stuff thats emphasized in mcat practice books as you through. You haven’t really started pre-reqs if im reading this correctly so theres no reason to think you won’t end up at an MD program, especially coming from FL. Are you just assuming your mcat will be in that range or have you taken it before?

Will take first pre-req classes this summer, then take a gap year after graduating B.S. in Finance to finish all pre reqs. No, havent taken Mcat yet, merely projecting a score.

Will take first pre-req classes this summer, then take a gap year after graduating B.S. in Finance to finish all pre reqs. No, havent taken Mcat yet, merely projecting a score.
Ha! Then dont pigeonhole yourself to DO school yet. Florida is a very lucky state for an md acceptance.

Ha! Then dont pigeonhole yourself to DO school yet. Florida is a very lucky state for an md acceptance.

Very interesting! Is there a specific reason as to why florida students fair well in getting acceptances into MD schools?

Also, I have a pretty low GPA for MD schools I assume. 3.4 cgpa without science courses..

Hey, about the scoring, I was making an approximation based on the old scoring system. I still havent taken it, will be taking it for the first time in 2020. I assume I would not perform exceptionally well, just average around 505-508
Worthless thread without a real MCAT. You're not a non-traditional student by having a major outside of science. Finish your degree, get an MCAT and then we'll talk.

Also, I have a pretty low GPA for MD schools I assume. 3.4 cgpa without science courses..
Yeah. But you could bring it up with all the pre-reqs you’re about to take. FL is a lucky state bc theres a bunch of MD schools with mediocre stats that give FL residents preference.

I mean its gonna be fine if you end up at a DO school, but you should start out shooting for the better training that comes with a cheaper price tag imo.