Chances of an MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

J-REXX

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I am trying to apply for an MD/PhD program at either UF or UAB and I was wondering if anyone knew the statistics on those schools. I am a double major in Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences with a double minor in Mathematics and Honors; I take the MCAT for the first time in August, and I graduate in Spring 2024. I am also a Chemistry tutor for Gen and Orgo Chem. My GPA from my first institution was a 3.86 and my current GPA, one semester into this new university, is a 3.58 - that averages out to like a 3.72. Currently I do research with a professor and I should be publishing soon if all goes well, however, I have yet to actually shadow a Physician; I was going to hopefully do that this summer. The Head of the Department told me that shadowing a Physician was a bad idea and that I should focus solely on my research.

I am also Hispanic/Native American - I have heard that helps sometimes but I don't really know.

What are my chances? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prereq grades:
Gen Chem 1 and lab - A
Gen Chem 2 and lab- B
Org 1 and lab - B
Orgo 2 and lab - B
Orgo 3 and lab - A
Physics 1 and lab - A
Physics 2 and lab - A
Bio 1 and lab - A
Bio 2 and lab - A
MicroBio - B+
MicroBio Lab - A
BioChem - In progress (hopefully and A)
 
Your grades look good, and hopefully do well on your MCAT. I would definitely focus on knowing that you like the research life while also understanding why you want to be an MD/PhD. Do you have an understanding of translational medicine? Have you talked to MD/PhD students or those who are in residency/postdoctoral training? Have you presented your work at SACNAS yet?

Reach out to the program directors at the MSTP programs at the schools of interest. The directors have been doing a lot of work to provide information for interested prospective applicants, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds. Disagreeing with your department head, if you're applying for an MD/PhD, you still need to have clinical experience and do some shadowing, but I would make sure I met with and shadowed an MD/PhD.
 
IIWY, I would research how many admitted MD/PHd students get admitted without any gap year/s research? Also, don't forget about volunteering non-clinical, and clinical experience. It is also generally assumed that 50 hours of shadowing inclusive of a primary care physician is required.
It is recommended to not take the MCAT before you are ready, retakes are not thought of favorably. If you are going to take a gap year, I woukd wait, MCats have a shelf life before expiring and you are taking it nearly two years before graduating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a current MD/PhD Applicant and it is very competitive. I had a 518/3.9x and have been fortunate to receive 3 interviews and am waiting on those final decisions. You NEED some sort of clinical exposure for sure, so shadowing a physician is a must. It is not as heavily weighted as MD-Only but you need to show that you understand what a clinical career consists of. Once you have the stats and the clinical exposure it is all about research. The average applicant has ~4,000 hours which typically includes multiple gap years. I am a traditional applicant and I can count on one hand the amount of other traditional applicants I have met on the interview trail.
 
- Show evidence of solid research experience with at least 1-2 good publications - and you may also be asked to write about your most significant research experience when you apply to various MD/PhD programs.

- Have a solid undergraduate GPA (especially sGPA).

- Strong MCAT - you should prepare for the MCAT ahead of time - and take the MCAT when you are truly ready to take the MCAT.

- Obtain strong recommendation letters (at least one LOR will be from your PI).

- Suggest you obtain clinical experience - because you need to have an idea about *what* you can expect as an aspiring physician, and you may also be asked to write about your most significant "clinical" experience.

- Suggest you obtain community service experience because you may also be asked to write about your most significant "community" service.

I wish you the best of success! 🙂