Chances of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishy fish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying to medical schools (MD and DO) this cycle and wanted to get your opinions on whether or not I have a good shot...

I have a 509 MCAT (127/124/127/131)...yes CARS isn't great...
~3.96 GPA with 3.89 science GPA
Nontraditional with a masters degree in Clinical Psychology, GPA of 4.00
About 2100 research hours; 340 hours scribing; 90 hours shadowing
Won't go into too much detail but i also have some clinical experience in Psychology (about 2000 hours) and about 200 hours volunteering (medical and non-medical)

I'm planning on applying to 22 MD schools and about 3 DO. Most of my MD schools are mid-tier. Should I be applying to more DO? Do people with my stats get accepted to MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You can post this on WAMC forum

Have you purchased MSAR?

Reactions: 1 users
You look like you have a good shot to me. Just write your essays well and apply smartly.

But yes this would be better under the WAMC section. People can help you with making an appropriate school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Which schools are you applying to ?

Michigan

Here's my list so far:
-Frank Netter (Top choice)
-University of Connecticut
-Wayne State
-Central Michigan
-Michigan State
-Oakland
-NEOMED
-Toledo
-Nova Southeastern
-Loma Linda
-University of Kansas
-UMKC
-Drexel
-Geisinger Commonwealth
-Wake Forest
-Morehouse
-Rosalind Franklin
-Loyola
-Rush
-University of illinois
-New York Medical College

As for DO: NYIT, Touro (NY), MSU

Schools such as UConn, Kansas. UMKC, NEOMED accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Morehouse accepts mainly URM from the African American community. You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Seton Hall
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington

Schools such as UConn, Kansas. UMKC, NEOMED accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Morehouse accepts mainly URM from the African American community. You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Seton Hall
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington

Thank you so much for the suggestions! This is very helpful.

UMKC also has a BS/MD program from which the vast majority of their MD class is taken, so they have very few spots open for an outside applicant (like, around ten). I wouldn't apply unless you had SERIOUSLY strong ties to the city, and even then KU is right next to it in Kansas City, KS and would be a better bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think it's enough to apply to 3 DO schools? Do I have a good enough chance with MD schools if I apply to about 22?