Chances of getting into opto school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvrxn

Reaction score
Hi my name is Karen, and I just joined this forum since it has been helpful for me to see my future options. I have recently hit a low point and am not sure if I should still try to make it into optometry school. I currently have a 3.4ish cumulative GPA and a 3.1ish science GPA. I'm currently taking Ochem 1 and may possibly get a C which would probably lower my GPA a lot unless I barely make a B. Basically I'm feeling burnt out since I guess I just suck at science courses. This is my 2nd year at college but I had enough credits to where I'm basically a semester ahead so don't know if that will help me raise my GPA. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Karen! You're still early enough in your college career that you have time to stabilize and/or raise your GPA. Both my roommate (pre-med) and I (current optometry student) graduated a semester early with around 3.4 GPAs and I can say for sure we definitely had some C's. Everyone has their strengths and maybe ochem just isn't your thing. You may excel more in upper level science courses. My roommate had gotten a C in ochem 1 and 2 and the lab but was able to bring up her GPA later on while being a semester ahead so don't lose hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Karen! You're still early enough in your college career that you have time to stabilize and/or raise your GPA. Both my roommate (pre-med) and I (current optometry student) graduated a semester early with around 3.4 GPAs and I can say for sure we definitely had some C's. Everyone has their strengths and maybe ochem just isn't your thing. You may excel more in upper level science courses. My roommate had gotten a C in ochem 1 and 2 and the lab but was able to bring up her GPA later on while being a semester ahead so don't lose hope!
This exactly. Trust me when I say, a C or two isn't the end all be all for your application. I can say personally that I had two Cs and a D while in my undergraduate. I graduated with a 3.4 but was able to get into my dream school SUNY even though my overall is below their average accepted applicants. They do look at more then your numbers (and no I did not have an incredible OAT either). I think you should just take it a little slower, if you feel burnt out now imagine going straight for optometry school after graduating and studying for the OAT. They will see how heavy of a course load you took and as long as you can explain any questionable grades you'll be absolutely fine. Just take some time to gather experience, it will be a huge motivating factor when you get to engage in something that you're interested in doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
This exactly. Trust me when I say, a C or two isn't the end all be all for your application. I can say personally that I had two Cs and a D while in my undergraduate. I graduated with a 3.4 but was able to get into my dream school SUNY even though my overall is below their average accepted applicants. They do look at more then your numbers (and no I did not have an incredible OAT either). I think you should just take it a little slower, if you feel burnt out now imagine going straight for optometry school after graduating and studying for the OAT. They will see how heavy of a course load you took and as long as you can explain any questionable grades you'll be absolutely fine. Just take some time to gather experience, it will be a huge motivating factor when you get to engage in something that you're interested in doing.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! Can you tell me about your work ethic and how to study more effectively? I think that’s part of my problem as well. Also, how many hours did you take per semester and what type of classes? It’s almost time for me to register for classes and I was wondering if I could get an idea of how to proceed with taking prereqs. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! Can you tell me about your work ethic and how to study more effectively? I think that’s part of my problem as well. Also, how many hours did you take per semester and what type of classes? It’s almost time for me to register for classes and I was wondering if I could get an idea of how to proceed with taking prereqs. Thanks again!
Honestly my work ethics during my undergraduate were awful haha. I was the type that crammed the night before. Im actually a psych major and on a track to pursue a PhD in counseling so I didn't take any sciences. I would usually take maybe 15 hours per semester. I was working my entire undergraduate and also vp for two large clubs so I couldn't take on too many classes. Currently though, I've gone back to school to fulfill my pre requisites. I work full time in a private practice so I'm only able to take night classes but its definitely taught me how to balance my time between studying, work, and friends. If I were you, I would mix in some interesting electives so you're not too boggled down with just all those sciences.

Apparently my undergrad was big into researching effective study methods. The short version of what we were told was to study in chunks rather than cramming which helped me when I was taking ochem. For example, I'd study for just 45 minutes straight with no distractions and then take a 15 minute break. Rinse and repeat. Also if your school offers free tutoring programs I definitely recommend taking advantage of it! I think Khan academy also came in handy for learning ochem. I averaged about 15 hrs a semester as well. I would try to establish good study habits while in undergrad since once you're in grad/professional school having them is essential. I tried to spread out my electives as they were usually my "gpa boosters" for the semester. So I had a class about video games and literature the same time as I had microbio.

Apparently my undergrad was big into researching effective study methods. The short version of what we were told was to study in chunks rather than cramming which helped me when I was taking ochem. For example, I'd study for just 45 minutes straight with no distractions and then take a 15 minute break. Rinse and repeat. Also if your school offers free tutoring programs I definitely recommend taking advantage of it! I think Khan academy also came in handy for learning ochem. I averaged about 15 hrs a semester as well. I would try to establish good study habits while in undergrad since once you're in grad/professional school having them is essential. I tried to spread out my electives as they were usually my "gpa boosters" for the semester. So I had a class about video games and literature the same time as I had microbio.
I've made a majority of B's in my science prereqs so I'm concerned about that, should I retake some classes to try to make an A? My classes are probably only going to get harder?

I've made a majority of B's in my science prereqs so I'm concerned about that, should I retake some classes to try to make an A? My classes are probably only going to get harder?
I would probably get another opinion on this from someone like an academic advisor, especially if you have one that's specifically for pre-health majors. They could better tell you what would be beneficial to your end goal. Personally, I would say no. Retaking classes that you did decently in seems like a waste of time to me. I would only retake them if you got a C or worse and had the time and resources to do so in a way that would no affect your future coursework. As I mentioned before, you may actually do better in upper level classes. It's not that they necessarily get harder but the course material is more specific. I enjoyed my upper level biology classes much more than my general ones.

Hi my name is Karen, and I just joined this forum since it has been helpful for me to see my future options. I have recently hit a low point and am not sure if I should still try to make it into optometry school. I currently have a 3.4ish cumulative GPA and a 3.1ish science GPA. I'm currently taking Ochem 1 and may possibly get a C which would probably lower my GPA a lot unless I barely make a B. Basically I'm feeling burnt out since I guess I just suck at science courses. This is my 2nd year at college but I had enough credits to where I'm basically a semester ahead so don't know if that will help me raise my GPA. Thank you.

Hi Karen! You're definitely not alone in feeling burnt out, especially with the sciences! I think a 3.4 GPA is still really good - optometry schools don't expect applicants to be perfect. I never thought I was good at the sciences either, until I went back to school so that I could pursue optometry. Once I had that strong motivator, I realized my ability to succeed in the sciences that I never envisioned myself taking before. Do your best but don't worry about being perfect :) And good luck!!

P.S. Organic chemistry was NOT my strong subject either! You can do it :)

Hey there. From my personal experience, your gpa is already pretty good. My gpa was only around a 3.3 and my science gpa was probably around 3.0. I pretty much got a C in every chem class I had to take. I still got interviews to every school I applied to because of the OAT, so I think that is more important. Don't stress too much

Reactions: 1 users
I had a low GPA (2.8 or so) and a high OAT (94th percentile) and I got into all the schools I applied to (SUNY, SCCO, UCBSO). I strengthened my application by extracurricularly involvements (worked as tech at a opto clinic, volunteered at a BV clinic, volunteered at optometric organization). You can definitely still get in if you demonstrate strength in other areas, and if you are personable and charming in your interview. You got this!

I had a low GPA (2.8 or so) and a high OAT (94th percentile) and I got into all the schools I applied to (SUNY, SCCO, UCBSO). I strengthened my application by extracurricularly involvements (worked as tech at a opto clinic, volunteered at a BV clinic, volunteered at optometric organization). You can definitely still get in if you demonstrate strength in other areas, and if you are personable and charming in your interview. You got this!
I feel you don’t mind me asking, what was your OAT like?