This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigmaticepi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just looking for some advice, as I've never met someone in my position. I have a 516 MCAT from July 2016 that I have never used. I decided after a study abroad program that I wanted to pursue public health and am currently getting my MPH in epidemiology and working at CDC. After learning more about the different roles physicians can have in public health, as well as getting more clinical experience, I am thinking about applying. However, I do not think I will have enough clinical hours to apply this cycle and am looking at 2020 matriculation which really limits my schools. What do you think my chances are and do you have advice for someone in the position?

MCAT 516
GPA Undergrad 3.91
GPA Grad 4.0
Shadowing (currently): around 40 hours

Research: 500 hours doing microbiology research in undergrad, public health research abroad for a semester, masters thesis will be published and has also allowed me to have some clinical exposure.

Clinical volunteering: Hospice Work (have just started but will continue through application)
Hospital Volunteering Abroad
Thinking of also starting hospital volunteer program in the US
Nonclinical volunteering: 400+ hours doing various activities both long and short term in college civic engagement program

Jobs: CDC research assistant, MCAT instructor, TA for biology labs in college

State of Residency: Florida
White Female

Current List: Emory, Wake Forest, Duke, SLU, Thomas Jefferson, Brown, Boston University, Florida State, Vanderbilt, All Texas Schools, Case Western, Nova Southeastern, Einstein (Any others would be appreciated!)

If you're a FL resident, then apply to all the FL schools. Do you have ties to Texas? Otherwise I've heard it's hard to get in a Texas school OOS

You should be fine as long as you have started to get clinical volunteering hours now. On your AMCAS you should put down future hours as long as you are sure you will be doing and then you can send updates to the schools you applied to about your volunteering, and what insights it has given you.

There is no reason every single FL school should not be on your list this includes: FSU, UCF, FIU, UM, USF, UF, FAU, and the newer one Nova.

Chances are slim to none at Texas schools without being a resident or have strong ties to the state.

You have a good chance at the other schools you've listed. It might be good to throw in some more reaches if you have the funds. I believe Yale has a good public health emphasis might be worth throwing them an app. Hopkins also has a good public health emphasis.

It would be good to get some advice from the adcoms @Goro @Faha @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looking for some advice, as I've never met someone in my position. I have a 516 MCAT from July 2016 that I have never used. I decided after a study abroad program that I wanted to pursue public health and am currently getting my MPH in epidemiology and working at CDC. After learning more about the different roles physicians can have in public health, as well as getting more clinical experience, I am thinking about applying. However, I do not think I will have enough clinical hours to apply this cycle and am looking at 2020 matriculation which really limits my schools. What do you think my chances are and do you have advice for someone in the position?

MCAT 516
GPA Undergrad 3.91
GPA Grad 4.0
Shadowing (currently): around 40 hours

Research: 500 hours doing microbiology research in undergrad, public health research abroad for a semester, masters thesis will be published and has also allowed me to have some clinical exposure.

Clinical volunteering: Hospice Work (have just started but will continue through application)
Hospital Volunteering Abroad
Thinking of also starting hospital volunteer program in the US
Nonclinical volunteering: 400+ hours doing various activities both long and short term in college civic engagement program

Jobs: CDC research assistant, MCAT instructor, TA for biology labs in college

State of Residency: Florida
White Female

Current List: Emory, Wake Forest, Duke, SLU, Thomas Jefferson, Brown, Boston University, Florida State, Vanderbilt, All Texas Schools, Case Western, Nova Southeastern, Einstein (Any others would be appreciated!)
I suggest you get in your clinical hours and apply when you have the best possible app, If you have to retake the MCAT, so be it.

If you're a FL resident, then apply to all the FL schools. Do you have ties to Texas? Otherwise I've heard it's hard to get in a Texas school OOS

The issue is that Florida state is the only Florida school that will take an mcat score that will be so old. Also the reason for including the Texas schools (they take even 5 year old Mcats) thanks for the reply!

You should be fine as long as you have started to get clinical volunteering hours now. On your AMCAS you should put down future hours as long as you are sure you will be doing and then you can send updates to the schools you applied to about your volunteering, and what insights it has given you.

There is no reason every single FL school should not be on your list this includes: FSU, UCF, FIU, UM, USF, UF, FAU, and the newer one Nova.

Chances are slim to none at Texas schools without being a resident or have strong ties to the state.

You have a good chance at the other schools you've listed. It might be good to throw in some more reaches if you have the funds. I believe Yale has a good public health emphasis might be worth throwing them an app. Hopkins also has a good public health emphasis.

It would be good to get some advice from the adcoms @Goro @Faha @LizzyM

Sadly Nova and Florida state are the only Florida schools that will take an mcat that old :( otherwise I'd love to go to UCF

I suggest you get in your clinical hours and apply when you have the best possible app, If you have to retake the MCAT, so be it.

Ok Thanks for your reply! I have seen some posts on here saying that getting an MPH can actually be seen as a negative on an app. Do you think this is the case? Is it something that I should feel like I need to justify on my app? I didn't go to grad school to pad my grades/experiences I very genuinely just love Public Health and I hope that would come across in my personal statement/experiences.