SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Changing careers?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by e2k, Nov 13, 2001.

1. e2k

e2k Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2001
    Israel
    How many docs do you know that have changed careers, either to a different specialty or something unrelated to medicine?

My problem is that I love medicine, but I don't want to do it the rest of my life. However, it will be tough to get into other careers, potentially with retraining and a huge pay cut.

Any thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I know of a physician that after working as a pediatrician for 5 years went back to residency and several years later came out as an orthopaedic surgeon. I don't know all the details but I guess he figured he didn't like working with children or perhaps just did not do it well.

4. 12R34Y

12R34Y 10+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2000
    I know of a surgeon who became an anesthesiologist after 15 years in surgery. don't ask me how

later

5. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    Indiana
    It is not uncommon for a physician to go back and do a different residency. But, there are reasons it is tougher to get a spot.

-The government does not give the program the stipend for a second residency.

-Programs do not normally look kindly on a doc returning for a second residency.

Many doing there 2nd residency end up having to pick one of the lower competitiveness residency specialties.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules and there are exceptional individuals who I am sure have switched into competitive things.

6. Devdas

Devdas Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Yankee Town
    Recently,I read an interesting story about a Physician who changed his career.

He was a very succesfull Cardio-thoracic surgeon in California making millions.He became bored with his life and wanted to become a chef to start his own Restaurant.He joined as an intern to a celebrity cook and started a new career from the scratch.It is an amazing change in direction of life.

I hope he does not give Heart "curry" and Aorta "soup" for his customers in his new Restaurant :D